FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Asiana | Asiana Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asiana-asiana-club-614/)
-   -   Asiana Seat Selection (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asiana-asiana-club/1209744-asiana-seat-selection.html)

dat209 Apr 27, 2011 5:54 am

Asiana Seat Selection

I am scheduled to take a trip next week for work that is booked entirely through Continental, but two of the legs of the trip are actually on Asiana, codeshared on Continental. I can select my seats on the Continental website for the Continental legs, but can not find a way to get Asiana to let me do it on the Continental site or on their own site. Does anyone know of any tricks that I might have to use in order to get to select my own seat for these (much longer) legs of the trip?

DownUnderFlyer Apr 27, 2011 8:57 am

Welcome to FT, dat209!

You are waisting your time trying to do this online. You would need to call OZ or maybe even CO to get this seat assigned.

If you would have used the search function of Flyertalk or if you would have just had a look a few threads below yours you would have found the following thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asian...ing-seats.html

Mabuk dan gila Apr 27, 2011 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by dat209 (Post 16287879)
I am scheduled to take a trip next week for work that is booked entirely through Continental, but two of the legs of the trip are actually on Asiana, codeshared on Continental. I can select my seats on the Continental website for the Continental legs, but can not find a way to get Asiana to let me do it on the Continental site or on their own site. Does anyone know of any tricks that I might have to use in order to get to select my own seat for these (much longer) legs of the trip?

On http://us.flyasiana.com Online Seat Assignments Use your full continental e-ticket number starting with 005 (backspace out the 988 pre-filled in the form) and your name exactly as it appears on the reservation including your middle name or middle initial appended to your first name if your full middle name or middle initial is included in the reservation. Only works with Microsoft Internet Explorer and only from a MS Windows PC.

ande777emt Apr 27, 2011 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila (Post 16290399)
On http://us.flyasiana.com Online Seat Assignments Use your full continental e-ticket number starting with 005 (backspace out the 988 pre-filled in the form) and your name exactly as it appears on the reservation including your middle name or middle initial appended to your first name if your full middle name or middle initial is included in the reservation. Only works with Microsoft Internet Explorer and only from a MS Windows PC.

I've never had the US site work for seat selection. You would have to call OZ for seating changes. Every time I've modified a seating arrangement on OZ I have had to call them.

trooper Apr 28, 2011 12:04 am

I hadn't been able to access seat selection for an OZ flight (new "QS" C seats yay!) until I tried what Mabuk dan gila suggested...

This too was a multi-airline itin...

In my case the ticket number (from my TA) started with 167 (?) but it all worked.

Just wasn't really sure what seats to choose.... not that a huge number were "available" anyway... went for 3A and 4A... Given the design I suspect they are all pretty much teh same.. except for 1A and 1K which look rather good!

Mabuk dan gila Apr 28, 2011 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by ande777emt (Post 16293434)
I've never had the US site work for seat selection. You would have to call OZ for seating changes. Every time I've modified a seating arrangement on OZ I have had to call them.

I just checked my seat assignments and made a change 5 minutes ago on http://us.flyasiana.com . On a "005" Continental award ticket, where the outbound flights are TG. Took me 2 minutes. I was able to view changes that had occurred since last I looked and saw a better seat than there was earlier so I moved. I'll probably check 3 or 4 more times before I actually take the flight. Calling I wouldn't have that level of information and wouldn't be doing it half a dozen times making changes on a whim like I can on the web site.

The system has consistently worked fine since about the last two major changes, probably close to a year ago. Ever since they added the e-ticket number option. Before that, you can search here and find me ranting and cursing it more than anyone but it does work now.

As has been posted before the main reason it fails to work are middle name or middle initial. For instance if my name were MABUK DAN GILA (not my real name ;)) I might have a reservation as GILA\MABUK or it might be GILA\MABUKD or it might be GILA\MABUKDAN. Since the seat assignment web page has no place to put middle name, if a middle initial or middle name exists in the reservation it must be appended to the first name or else it will not find the reservation. So for instance my current reservation has my middle initial. In the web form I enter my continental e-Ticket number (back spacing out the prefilled "988" first which is for an Asiana ticket) Last Name: GILA, First Name: MABUKD and voila it works.

The other major issue is that it is well established it will fail to save seats with the "running clock issue" if you use any browser other than Microsoft Internet Explorer under Microsoft windows. No Firefox, no Chrome, no Safari, no Mac's no Linux. Them R da rules. About a year ago during the second to last major change it briefly worked inconsistently under Firefox and Chrome in Linux but since the last change I have never got it to work other than IE but it HAS consistently worked with that.

soy May 1, 2011 3:35 am

great tip, finally can pre-select OZ seats - I have just selected 2k for my upcoming F trip - thanks ^

maltman1 May 1, 2011 9:40 am

Ok this is now a quest for it to work. I added my 016 UA flight number.

My ticket from US list me as (Not real Name) Smith /Steve C MR) I had to add the C and MR part for it to work on ANA's web site for one segment of the trip, and it worked. No matter what combination of my name I can seem to get it to work with Asiana....Hints? or just call them, but like I said its becoming a quest for this to work.

Mabuk dan gila May 1, 2011 10:57 am

Originally Posted by maltman1 (Post 16309455)
Ok this is now a quest for it to work. I added my 016 UA flight number.

My ticket from US list me as (Not real Name) Smith /Steve C MR) I had to add the C and MR part for it to work on ANA's web site for one segment of the trip, and it worked. No matter what combination of my name I can seem to get it to work with Asiana....Hints? or just call them, but like I said its becoming a quest for this to work.

Id bet on Last Name: SMITH First Name: STEVEC (no spaces) but wouldn't be surprised if it were a different variation. I haven't personally seen the MR required to log in to Asiana's site although that doesn't mean it can't happen.

Also, I assume it is just a typo but by "016 UA flight number." you do mean 016 UA E-ticket number, right???? An E-ticket issued by UA is indeed a thirteen digit number beginning with 016 so I'm guessing that is the right number but just to verify, the flight number is NOT the number you log into Asiana's web site with.

trust77 May 2, 2011 11:01 pm

GREAT tip! Thx for sharing this.

You've answered the question MANY have had.

Kudos to you.

Atlantico May 3, 2011 9:18 am

Hi guys,

Did someone had sucess to input seats for a flight booked trough US Airways?
With US Airways Ticket #?

Regards

phelme May 4, 2011 1:51 pm

Just got off the phone with Asiana for an SFO<->ICN flight to talk about seat assignments (the original booking has my wife and I sitting apart) and was told they can't change anything now with their system and to call back in a few weeks. Wasn't clear on the "why," but it sounded like it might be specific to SFO. :confused:

SirJman May 11, 2011 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantico (Post 16320630)
Hi guys,

Regards

I havent been able to get my US ticket # to work for my upcoming reservation. Its a US# on the OZ flight, so that might be the problem.

Tech Noir May 12, 2011 2:05 am

Originally Posted by Atlantico (Post 16320630)
Hi guys,

Regards

Yes, was able to select seats on OZ using the method described here, with a ticket issued by US Airways, with US ticket number (037 stock) but OZ flight numbers.

Wanderlust2011 May 24, 2011 1:58 pm

Has anyone been successful with AC e-ticket numbers (014 stock)?

charlotteimmigration May 24, 2011 3:15 pm

I cant get it to work for USairways ticket
the numebr they gave me is 037 then 11 other #'s making it 1 number too long for the OZ website??
any help plz.
How on earth can I get row 1? is it ONLY at check in? or if I get this cracked can I somehow use online checkin 24 hrs pre-journey and bagsy row 1?

Mabuk dan gila May 24, 2011 5:14 pm

It may well be the web site just cannot work with a 14 Digit E-Ticket number. Most E-Tickets are 13 digits but I know there are exceptions and some are 14 digits too.

The only other real alternative if you cant get in with an e-ticket number is create an Asiana Club account, get your Asiana booking reference by calling Asiana (and getting seat assignments while you are on the phone asking for the booking reference ;) ) and then log in with the Asiana booking reference and Asiana Club account number.

The only caveat doing it that way is the Asiana Club account must be created according to the same rule that the middle name or middle initial must be appended to the first name if either exist in the reservation since there is no place to put a middle name on flyasiana.com.

It only uses the Asiana Club number to look up your name. It doesn't actually use the number for the flights so you can get in that way even if you still intend to book the miles for the flight to some other airline.

And as always, only works in MS Internet Explorer.

And you can do OLCI 48 hours before booking and bag some previously blocked seats. In Y I have got bulkhead (but not exit row) seats that way. It changes often and is very dynamic during the 48 hour window so I usually check back often after first checking in.

FLLDL Sep 12, 2011 8:14 am

I just want to thank those in this old thread for their information. I have never been able to get anything done on Asiana's terrible website, but using the info here I was able to select seats online for the first time.

I used Internet Explorer on a Windows PC (usually a Firefox guy) and a convoluted version of my first name + middle name in the first name box and it was able to locate my itinerary. Ticket# was on US stock.

NickP 1K Sep 17, 2011 10:53 pm

Must use IE (some Firefox builds work also)

Don't even try to use Chrome or Safari to do Asiana seat assignments. It will pull up the reservation and allow you to select a seat but when it comes to confirm it with "Next" button it will just sit there - logging back in will show the seat was never assigned.

Mac users; use IE in Fusion or Parallels with a Windows VM

I've made seat assignment changes on OZ, UA, NH and SQ issued tickets and had no problem opening by ticket number.

Another thing you can do is setup an Asiana mileage account and open the record locator with the rec locator and mileage account. If the name on your mileage account matches the rec locator from Asiana it will let you do seat assignments. This will even work if the eticket info is not passed to Asiana properly (e.g. extra eticket digit). You must have the Asiana record locator NOT the locator from the issuing airline if it's not OZ.

You can still then alter your mileage preferences at check in at the airport

Antipode Sep 21, 2011 9:12 pm

I had the problem with getting the seat map to come up and selecting a seat but getting stuck when hitting "Next" and the seat selection not sticking. I had this in both Firefox and IE. But by picking the seats in a different order, I managed to get it work. This was pretty much just trial and error to see which order worked, but eventually one of them did.

Mabuk dan gila Sep 21, 2011 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by Antipode (Post 17151581)
I had the problem with getting the seat map to come up and selecting a seat but getting stuck when hitting "Next" and the seat selection not sticking. I had this in both Firefox and IE. But by picking the seats in a different order, I managed to get it work. This was pretty much just trial and error to see which order worked, but eventually one of them did.

In this very specific type of circumstance you can 'usually' (but not always) make the seat assignments "stick" by following the links through all the way to print boarding pass screen. I don't recall the exact wording but follow through all the way to the end and click on the link that produces the page to print the result. Then log back in to make sure it stuck.

New Gold Feb 25, 2012 3:03 am

Guest or Member Asiana seat selection

Hi there,

I think I read before that to select seats you had to be an Asiana Club member. However, when I went to online seat selection, it had a guest option. I've clicked on "next" and "finish" and it seems to have saved my choices using the guest option. We'll be in Y on a 777-200ER. Would there be extra choice if I went to choose a seat as an Asiana Club member? I chose the two aisle seats of the 3 seat aisle column and it blocked the middle seat.

The guest option seems rather insecure :) I have a friend who's also travelling on the same plane. I see that my selection appears to be reserved, but the middle seat I mentioned above isn't blocked. Obviously, it'd be rather undesirable though. My friend seems to have more choice. Would that be down to his ticket type? I bought Q class. Or could it be because he's a club member? I suppose I could just join and find out.

To answer my own question, it would appear that membership/guest seat selection makes no difference at least at the lowest silver level. I think my friend bought a higher class ticket.

1kBill Feb 27, 2012 6:31 pm

Can confirm that this works!

I was able to assign myself seats for an itinerary purchased on Orbitz, although it does work with a typical OZ weird internet interface.

izzik Mar 5, 2012 2:16 pm

In the past, it was only possible to assign seats using Internet Explorer.. now Firefox on Mac is good, too.

traveling_newbie Mar 5, 2012 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by izzik (Post 18140017)
In the past, it was only possible to assign seats using Internet Explorer.. now Firefox on Mac is good, too.

I use Google Chrome and it works fine.

ok2uselane May 30, 2012 12:37 am

Originally Posted by izzik (Post 18140017)

I used Safari today, with no problems... I guess they've upgraded their system.

:)

sol95 Jun 1, 2012 12:10 am

I was able to select seats using google chrome on mac today.

in all honesty, this shouldn't have been an issue for the years that it was, but glad it's finally working across OS platforms and varying web browsers :)

oblisk Jun 5, 2012 12:51 pm

I have a couple of United Award Itinerary's booked on Asiana, unfortunately I cannot seem to get the Asiana Airlines Confirmation Number UA provided to work to select seats (this would be ideal as my gf is VERY picky about her seat).

Is there a way to do this or should I call/email?

trebex Jun 5, 2012 12:53 pm

You should email United. I'd suggest calling, but these days you can be on hold for 30 minutes or more.

ok2uselane Jun 5, 2012 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by oblisk (Post 18702701)
I have a couple of United Award Itinerary's booked on Asiana, unfortunately I cannot seem to get the Asiana Airlines Confirmation Number UA provided to work to select seats (this would be ideal as my gf is VERY picky about her seat).

Is there a way to do this or should I call/email?

Go to:

http://us.flyasiana.com/Global/US/en...?fid=INFO13000

Click on: "Click to select your seat" button

Under Guest Access, click the e-ticket number button. Then delete the "988"

Type in your e-ticket number (not the 6-digit booking code) from your UA itinerary receipt.

Then your last name and first name and middle initial (no space).

This should do it.

When you're done, click on "select another itinerary," and then click on "finish."

You can also call Asiana to get your booking code that they use.

Hope this helps.
;)

P.S. Remember, Asiana only releases a few seats ahead of time. So, you may not like the seats you get now, but closer to departure more may open up. Also, your seats should show up on the UA site in 24hrs.

DVX Jun 5, 2012 2:48 pm

Longtime lurker, but finally joined just so I could post to this thread. I've tried the same directions that ok2uselane posted multiple times, but the Asiana website always gives me the following error:

ERROR1010
You will be able to check-in online after you purchase a ticket for this booking.

This is for an award ticket originally made via the Continental website in January (005 ticket stock).

The error message scared me enough to contact the Asiana ticket office in Los Angeles. They were able to pull up my reservation and told me my seat had been assigned to 2D. Not sure why I can't view the reservation myself. Still a bit unnerved by it given all the problems that people have been having with their United partner award reservations disappearing.

ok2uselane Jun 5, 2012 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by DVX (Post 18703488)
Longtime lurker, but finally joined just so I could post to this thread. I've tried the same directions that ok2uselane posted multiple times, but the Asiana website always gives me the following error:

ERROR1010
You will be able to check-in online after you purchase a ticket for this booking.

This is for an award ticket originally made via the Continental website in January (005 ticket stock).

The error message scared me enough to contact the Asiana ticket office in Los Angeles. They were able to pull up my reservation and told me my seat had been assigned to 2D. Not sure why I can't view the reservation myself. Still a bit unnerved by it given all the problems that people have been having with their United partner award reservations disappearing.

Sorry, I'm not sure why it works for me, then. I booked an award through the UA website and followed the above procedure, and it works just fine. Maybe, it only works for tickets issued after the 3/3 UA/CO integration debacle. Perhaps, others could confirm this.

DaveSFO Jun 5, 2012 5:22 pm

ERROR1010

There's a lot of discussion about this on the UA forum. Plus I've also had this same thing happen to me. Basically it seems the issue is that the UA and OZ systems don't communicate well at all. There have been reports that tickets booked with UA miles on OZ would disappear because a ticket number was never sent (or received) to the OZ system, and then since there's no ticket number for the OZ reservation it would get cancelled. Obviously that led to some very annoyed people when there was no more availability.

When I got the same error, I also called up the LA office. The woman asked for my ticket number, and once that was added to the reservation I was able to pull it up online. When you called did they ask for your UA ticket number? If they did not, then I would suggest calling back and making sure they have it or you could risk losing your reservation.

nme7 Jun 10, 2012 5:14 am

ERROR1010

I have also noticed this error. It seems that it takes a bit of time for Asiana's computers to register your ticket purchase. I usually come back about an hour later and then I am able to log in without any error messages.

ok2uselane Jun 10, 2012 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by nme7 (Post 18730183)
I have also noticed this error. It seems that it takes a bit of time for Asiana's computers to register your ticket purchase. I usually come back about an hour later and then I am able to log in without any error messages.

This might explain why I had no problems in selecting my seats on their site. Hmmmm....

gvol21 Jul 9, 2013 11:33 am

Originally Posted by ok2uselane (Post 18703187)
Go to:

http://us.flyasiana.com/Global/US/en...?fid=INFO13000

Click on: "Click to select your seat" button

Under Guest Access, click the e-ticket number button. Then delete the "988"

Type in your e-ticket number (not the 6-digit booking code) from your UA itinerary receipt.

Then your last name and first name and middle initial (no space).

This should do it.

When you're done, click on "select another itinerary," and then click on "finish."

You can also call Asiana to get your booking code that they use.

Hope this helps.
;)

P.S. Remember, Asiana only releases a few seats ahead of time. So, you may not like the seats you get now, but closer to departure more may open up. Also, your seats should show up on the UA site in 24hrs.

I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd bring it back to life to ask a question. I booked an award ticket on OZ through UA's website, but when I follow these steps to check out my seat assignment, I get a "Check your ticket" error message. I have the OZ confirmation number, but that's apparently no use since I don't have an OZ membership number. I'm entering the UA eTicket number (starting with 016) and putting in my name exactly as it's entered in the ticket. I've tried multiple browsers and multiple platforms, but am still getting the same message.

Am I missing something, or do I need to give them a call?

LM225 Jul 9, 2013 11:47 am

Originally Posted by gvol21 (Post 21067570)
I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd bring it back to life to ask a question. I booked an award ticket on OZ through UA's website, but when I follow these steps to check out my seat assignment, I get a "Check your ticket" error message. I have the OZ confirmation number, but that's apparently no use since I don't have an OZ membership number. I'm entering the UA eTicket number (starting with 016) and putting in my name exactly as it's entered in the ticket. I've tried multiple browsers and multiple platforms, but am still getting the same message.

Am I missing something, or do I need to give them a call?

I've found that the easiest way to get around this is to simply sign up for an Asiana account. It takes a minute or two, and then you can easily find your flight with the Asiana confirmation number (even when your award ticket is issued by a partner airline). Much simpler than calling.

gvol21 Jul 9, 2013 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by LM225 (Post 21067644)
I've found that the easiest way to get around this is to simply sign up for an Asiana account. It takes a minute or two, and then you can easily find your flight with the Asiana confirmation number (even when your award ticket is issued by a partner airline). Much simpler than calling.

Yep, that did the trick. Thanks so much!

qcdthemouse Aug 2, 2013 10:51 pm

one question i have is, if you sign up for the asiana club, would that force you to accumulate Asiana miles? (i'd prefer to collect United miles....)

thanks!

TomVexille Aug 2, 2013 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by qcdthemouse (Post 21206611)
one question i have is, if you sign up for the asiana club, would that force you to accumulate Asiana miles? (i'd prefer to collect United miles....)

thanks!

No. Just make sure you provide your MP number at check in.