Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on weekend trips from Beijing

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2009, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK EBG
Advice on weekend trips from Beijing

I will be working in China during a few months this spring and, besides exploring Beijing as much as I can, I am looking for advice on where to go during weekends.

Am interested in places falling under the "nice places to visit" category but also places with excellent nightlife for a 27 year old Scandinavian. Obviously places requiring flights longer than 4-5 hours is not an option.

Thanks.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Are you interested in weekend getaway within China or away from China?

If it's China-specific, you may ask the mod to move your thread over to China Forum.

If you meant outside China, it depends on how long the flights you are willing to take. Japan may be a fine choice. You should be able to get good advice from resident FTers over Japan Forum. Or check out the Hong Kong Forum.

Not sure if tropical weather would be attractive for a Scandinavian like you. Thailand (Thailand Forum) or Bali should be nice. Or if you can hop on the mint direct flights between Beijing and Taiwan, why not pay some visits to Taiwan?

As far as I know, you can enjoy colorful nightlife among all of the places I just mentioned.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by lin821

Not sure if tropical weather would be attractive for a Scandinavian like you. Thailand (Thailand Forum) or Bali should be nice. Or if you can hop on the mint direct flights between Beijing and Taiwan, why not pay some visits to Taiwanvisits to Taiwan?
I think the suggestion of visiting Taiwan (if doable) is excellent, it will enable you to see two different faces of China, and different night-life.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
For night life, go to Hong Kong.
For archeology, head for Xian.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 10:47 am

Programs: UA, CX, BR
Originally Posted by SQ4000
I think the suggestion of visiting Taiwan (if doable) is excellent, it will enable you to see two different faces of China, and different night-life.
This must be the famous one-china 2-faces formula for diplomatic progress . Not trying to move into Omni territory but second the suggestion. If you are learning/know Chinese, that makes Taipei all the more logical a destination.

For a northerner, what about "and now for something completely different"--Vladivostok? I thought it was really interesting a couple of years ago.

Hong Kong is quite a city, but I don't really find much to do there (I don't shop). Tokyo should be on any to-go list, along with the other places in previous posts. Then, still urban and yet more urbane, also Kyoto.

Last edited by taipeipeter; Apr 7, 2009 at 10:54 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.