Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

How to organize ticketing around Asia as cheaply as possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2009, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist

I will be studying abroad in Hong Kong next semester with two of my good friends. For both of them, a top priority is travelling around Asia on a budget as they may not get a chance again. (The means no J awards, no SWUs and MFUs for me ) To show you that I am not kidding, my friend recommended taking a boat from HKG to ICN. As in a cargo boat.

Does anyone know the *cheapest* (there is NO other condition) way to do this. Options I had considered:

CX All Asia Pass
Visit Asia Pass (either OW or *A)
RTW
Low Cost Carriers
Driving / Bus / Train

Destinations that we want to visit in decreasing order of importance

PEK
PVG
SIN
NRT/KIX
KUL
CGK
BKK
MNL
PNH

Most of these will be for 2 - 3 days but we can do one of the cities for a week. I am pushing doing KUL/SIN/CGK for 2-3 days each over the week period. Time is of the essence and we will often only have a weekend to do a city. That is why my friend's idea to go 1500 miles in a boat may not work out.

Thanks!
Cheers,
Old Jan 13, 2009, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
There is always Air Asia, Cebu Pacific, JetStar, Tiger and to a lesser extend Bangkok Airways, and Viva Macau.

http://www.attitudetravel.com/hongkong/lowcostairlines/
http://www.skyscanner.net

For flights to PVG/PEK you may want to depart from Shenzhen

Check out flights, add up the cost, and then consider whether its a better option than an Airpass.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 4:03 pm

I would check the ASEAN pass (though it doesn't innclude HKG).
http://www.thaiair.com/Promotions/Sp...ns/aseanhh.htm
Old Jan 13, 2009, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA, DL
Local travel agents can always get you a good deal. Just a quick tip, for China destinations try to fly out of Shenzen as it will be cheaper then from Hong Kong.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 4:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
You will quickly realize that "Study Abroad" translates to "Travel for a semester because you realize that your grades transfer back to your university only as a Pass or a Fail, and everyone Pass's, therefore your "weekend trips" turn into essentially 4 months of travel while showing your face in school the odd day."

Enjoy!
Old Jan 13, 2009, 4:55 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Asia Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jan 13, 2009, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
You will quickly realize that "Study Abroad" translates to "Travel for a semester because you realize that your grades transfer back to your university only as a Pass or a Fail, and everyone Pass's, therefore your "weekend trips" turn into essentially 4 months of travel while showing your face in school the odd day."

Enjoy!
That is true for everyone else, but sadly not for me - I hope to be applying to medical school and, as confirmed by my top choice - John's Hopkins - they will request for a transcript from my abroad university (HKU)

Cheers,
Old Jan 17, 2009, 2:47 am

Programs: AA EXP
I think the asia pass (when its offered for sale) will not be worth it considering the surcharge to go to 60 or 90 days. It would be limited to 4 destinations and be upwards of $2k - but this includes your ticket from NYC to JFK. If you are traveling during summer (departing before Aug 15 IIRC) it will be especially not worth it.

IME NRT/KIX will be the expensive cities, and probably not worth it for a weekend.

Air Asia is like $200 a/i to BKK or KUL/ Jet* to SIN/Jakarta around the same --that is pretty cheap.

Getting from Kowloon-Shenzhen Airport is a lot easier now with direct busses - and you can get fares as low as $160 r/t ai to shanghai and ~$200 to beijing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.