FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Asia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia-460/)
-   -   Prior to 2022: Visa / VOA Info for Vietnam (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/804256-prior-2022-visa-voa-info-vietnam.html)

kalderlake Dec 18, 2017 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Virginia Emery (Post 29189034)
Just saw that Canada is now listed as e-visa eligible .. Woo Hoo !! https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/do...b-91595a4f5867

I've been there on the full-fat visa and the VOA, I guess that's the excuse I need to make it a hat trick!

osotoc Dec 28, 2017 9:11 am

eVIsa via Hanoi IAP, Dec 2017

Utilized the eVisa options (US passport holder) for a trip to Hanoi, Dec 2017. I applied on 14 Dec with a quick iPhone camera pic of my passport's data page and full face pic (with the help of a passport photo app). The credit card process was simple enough ($25USD), and the instructions for the eVisa are also simple enough. The website says to allow for approx. three business days and look for an email. Other than the "we're processing your eVisa" and "payment received" emails, I didn't get a "eVisa complete" email. After three days I checked via their website (tracking info on both their processing and payment emails), and the PDF with the eVisa was ready for download. I printed two copies just in case they took one at immigration going in (they didn't but better safe than sorry).

At Thai Airways checkin in HKG, the agent took my printed eVisa copy and put in the relevant info into my record. When I arrived HAN, I went immediately to the "FOREIGNER" passport line, and when called, I handed my passport and eVisa paper to the immigration official. She quickly entered the data onto her screen, didn't ask me anything, and stamped my passport. (FYI: Vietnam has no arrival card to fill out.) I then headed down to baggage claim, and the process picks up with a standard int'l arrival process.

I did notice a long line of Visa On Arrival people when I got into line at immigration. Not sure if they were passport holders who weren't allowed eVisas, though.

Bottom line: if you have the option of eVisa for Vietnam, I highly recommend that over Visa On Arrival or any other method.

Happy travels!

PS: Loving Hanoi. The food, the crazy traffic, the friendly people. Staying at the JW Marriott Hanoi which is about 30-40 mins from the old quarter, but opted for their amenities in the evening and the hustle and bustle of Hanoi in the daytime. Transport via Uber, which works very well.

fozziedoggie Dec 28, 2017 5:43 pm

Ditto experience in Ho Chi Minh last week...eVisa is the only way to go. ^

Originally Posted by osotoc (Post 29223047)
Utilized the eVisa options (US passport holder) for a trip to Hanoi, Dec 2017. I applied on 14 Dec with a quick iPhone camera pic of my passport's data page and full face pic (with the help of a passport photo app). The credit card process was simple enough ($25USD), and the instructions for the eVisa are also simple enough. The website says to allow for approx. three business days and look for an email. Other than the "we're processing your eVisa" and "payment received" emails, I didn't get a "eVisa complete" email. After three days I checked via their website (tracking info on both their processing and payment emails), and the PDF with the eVisa was ready for download. I printed two copies just in case they took one at immigration going in (they didn't but better safe than sorry).

At Thai Airways checkin in HKG, the agent took my printed eVisa copy and put in the relevant info into my record. When I arrived HAN, I went immediately to the "FOREIGNER" passport line, and when called, I handed my passport and eVisa paper to the immigration official. She quickly entered the data onto her screen, didn't ask me anything, and stamped my passport. (FYI: Vietnam has no arrival card to fill out.) I then headed down to baggage claim, and the process picks up with a standard int'l arrival process.

I did notice a long line of Visa On Arrival people when I got into line at immigration. Not sure if they were passport holders who weren't allowed eVisas, though.

Bottom line: if you have the option of eVisa for Vietnam, I highly recommend that over Visa On Arrival or any other method.

Happy travels!

PS: Loving Hanoi. The food, the crazy traffic, the friendly people. Staying at the JW Marriott Hanoi which is about 30-40 mins from the old quarter, but opted for their amenities in the evening and the hustle and bustle of Hanoi in the daytime. Transport via Uber, which works very well.

5khours Dec 28, 2017 7:02 pm

Last time I did the VOA, it took 30 seconds to submit the form. Less than an hour for the VOA letter to arrive. Five minutes to get the visa issued in SGN and two minutes through immigration and customs. Not knocking the e-visa process, but VOA is pretty painless especially if you you’re in a hurry or make multiple trips to VN or don’t want to carry around an extra piece of paper.

(Caveat - some people report long lines for VoA, but I’ve done it a dozen time and only once waited more than 20 minutes. Also with some many countries now visa exempt and with online/evisas for other countries, the VoA lines are pretty empty these days.)

Diplomatico Dec 29, 2017 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours (Post 29225111)
Last time I did the VOA, it took 30 seconds to submit the form. Less than an hour for the VOA letter to arrive. Five minutes to get the visa issued in SGN and two minutes through immigration and customs. Not knocking the e-visa process, but VOA is pretty painless especially if you you’re in a hurry or make multiple trips to VN or don’t want to carry around an extra piece of paper.

(Caveat - some people report long lines for VoA, but I’ve done it a dozen time and only once waited more than 20 minutes. Also with some many countries now visa exempt and with online/evisas for other countries, the VoA lines are pretty empty these days.)

VOA letter = 1 piece of paper. eVisa = 1 piece of paper.

Where is this "extra piece of paper" that is such a burden to carry around?

DesertNomad Dec 30, 2017 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by osotoc (Post 29223047)

Happy travels!

What site did you use to get the eVisa?

kalderlake Dec 30, 2017 3:28 pm

https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/en...trang-chu-ttdt

5khours Dec 30, 2017 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico (Post 29228285)
VOA letter = 1 piece of paper. eVisa = 1 piece of paper.

Where is this "extra piece of paper" that is such a burden to carry around?

With VOA, you can get a 12 month multi-entry. Use the VOA letter once and throw it away. After that all you need is your passport. With eVisa, you need to carry an eVisa with you every time you enter.

invisible Dec 30, 2017 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours (Post 29225111)
Five minutes to get the visa issued in SGN and two minutes through immigration and customs

Depends on timing. Very last experience - 35 min wait at SGN, arrival around 8PM on Wednesday.

5khours Dec 30, 2017 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by invisible (Post 29232073)
Depends on timing. Very last experience - 35 min wait at SGN, arrival around 8PM on Wednesday.

Agree. Sometimes it can definitely take longer.

dsquared37 Jan 9, 2018 7:18 am

I recently used an evisa to enter through SGN and it was a breeze. I have two transits upcoming (both on separate tix although all on QR) and will carry a visa of some form for travels.

The question, do I apply for another evisa ($25) or go the VOA route (<$25). Assuming there's no need to enter Vietnam (which if all goes smoothly there won't be) then the latter would be cheaper but the former would be easier if for whatever reason an entry is required.

Thoughts?

craz Jan 9, 2018 7:36 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37 (Post 29269536)
I recently used an evisa to enter through SGN and it was a breeze. I have two transits upcoming (both on separate tix although all on QR) and will carry a visa of some form for travels.

The question, do I apply for another evisa ($25) or go the VOA route (<$25). Assuming there's no need to enter Vietnam (which if all goes smoothly there won't be) then the latter would be cheaper but the former would be easier if for whatever reason an entry is required.

Thoughts?

Personally Im the type to roll the dice and probably wouldnt get either.

That said if the eVisa is like the VOA where it can be used for 30 days from a given date, then 2 @ VOA is apx 1/2 the cost of the EV so Id go with the eV as long as both dates you will be going thru is within the 30 day period, otherwise 2 eVs would be needed . I wouldnt go VOA simply since it seems you are only connecting and Id hate to end up wasting an hour at VOA waiting for the Visa, and if my Inbound was late I may misconnect. If you have say 4 hrs bet flights thats something else

2 VOAs can be had for $12 an eV is $25 so for $13 extra Id rather have the eV in hand, but as I said from getgo, Id probably not get either and roll the dice and gamble, of cause that is if Im not flying on any LCCs

dsquared37 Jan 9, 2018 8:15 am

Originally Posted by craz (Post 29269595)

That said if the eVisa is like the VOA where it can be used for 30 days from a given date, then 2 @ VOA is apx 1/2 the cost of the EV so Id go with the eV as long as both dates you will be going thru is within the 30 day period, otherwise 2 eVs would be needed . I wouldnt go VOA simply since it seems you are only connecting and Id hate to end up wasting an hour at VOA waiting for the Visa, and if my Inbound was late I may misconnect. If you have say 4 hrs bet flights thats something else

2 VOAs can be had for $12 an eV is $25 so for $13 extra Id rather have the eV in hand, but as I said from getgo, Id probably not get either and roll the dice and gamble, of cause that is if Im not flying on any LCCs

Thanks for the quick response.

The trips are SGN-US-SGN (of which I'm currently at the destination) to a similar ticket #2 and then #3 on QR's continuation SGN-PNH. My biggest concern, if not carrying something, is being denied boarding outright because I wouldn't hold a visa for the destination. Both dates are within a week of each other so 1 entry form should cover everything. Also you're right about the potential wait to process the VOA upon arrival, if I'm pressed for time that could kill options. One thing I didn't mention is lack of space in my passport; I'm down to about 5 full blank pages so I'd prefer to avoid taking that space if possible (I won't even get 7 years out of this 100+ page passport).

I'm leaning toward the eV for full disclosure.

Diplomatico Jan 9, 2018 4:31 pm

Self-edit, duplicate post.

Diplomatico Jan 9, 2018 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by craz (Post 29269595)

Two VOA letters can be had for $12; if he actually had to obtain the visa, there's a $25 stamping fee involved at the airport. e-Visa is the less expensive option if the visa is actually required.

Originally Posted by dsquared37 (Post 29269801)
Thanks for the quick response.

The trips are SGN-US-SGN (of which I'm currently at the destination) to a similar ticket #2 and then #3 on QR's continuation SGN-PNH. My biggest concern, if not carrying something, is being denied boarding outright because I wouldn't hold a visa for the destination. Both dates are within a week of each other so 1 entry form should cover everything. Also you're right about the potential wait to process the VOA upon arrival, if I'm pressed for time that could kill options. One thing I didn't mention is lack of space in my passport; I'm down to about 5 full blank pages so I'd prefer to avoid taking that space if possible (I won't even get 7 years out of this 100+ page passport).

I'm leaning toward the eV for full disclosure.

e-Visa will take up no pages in your passport. It's carried loose leaf inside your passport and - in addition to being the cheaper option - is the space saving option as well (though I suspect you know this already.)