Reload this Page >

Prior to 2022: Visa / VOA Info for Vietnam

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stephem
Moderator note: this Wikipost provides general visa guidelines and summarizes the information provided by FT members throughout this thread. Businesses mentioned in this wiki are in no way endorsed or recommended by FlyerTalk, and advertising is prohibited. FlyerTalk's commercial post rule is strictly enforced in this thread, and all spam-like posts will be immediately removed.

Vietnam Visa Information

Main source: Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Vietnam - Visa Application and Information - includes fillable application (external website)

Transit Without Visa

Vietnam permits foreigners to transit without a visa (TWOV) provided they remain inside the airport transit areas while awaiting an onward flight out of the country within 24 hours of arrival. Travelers are not allowed to leave the airport without a visa.

Visa Exemption for Phu Quoc Island

If you are only visiting Phu Quoc Island, guess what, you probably don't need a visa at all! There is a 30 day visa exception for Phu Quoc visits, and many people report being able to transit in HAN or SGN en route to PQC. But there are now direct flights to PQC and that allows you to avoid having to get a visa at all. Worth considering...

Regular Visa in Advance of Travel

Foreigners may obtain a visa at the nearest Vietnamese embassy or consulate. Prices are not published and appear to vary from location to location. Most recent reports suggest a typical fee of approximately USD 100.

ONLINE APPLICATION LOOSE LEAF VISA
Vietnam Visa Online Application and instructions:
http://vietnamembassy-usa.org/consul...cation-process

From what I've learned, you attach the three (3) files listed below to an email along with your credit card number and the visa section will mail back a loose leaf visa.

As of December, 2015, the fees are $80 = 1 month visa, $20 = overnight USPS, $10 priority mail. Multiple entry visas are available.

Fill out the online application form.
http://vietnamembassy-usa.org/consul...cation-process
Follow "online form" link. Choose language top right.

Including uploading to the application a correctly sized photo, 2x2 inches (website will check and confirm) that will propagate into the application.

Print out the application form, sign, scan as .pdf file. Attach the .pdf to your email.

Attach a correctly sized photo (2x2 inches).

Attach a scanned a copy of your passport (photo, personal detail pages and signature page).

Include your credit card number. The visa section will charge your card for visa type and USPS Express return a loose leaf visa.

Ask politely for the tracking number and total charges.

Call Embassy Visa to double check the above details and current email address: 202. 861. 0737, x118/121/122/123/125

As of December, 2015, the email address to send the application is: [email protected].

Visa Exemption

Those traveling on passports issued by the following nations are generally exempt from visa requirements for varying durations of stay: Belarus, Brunei, Cambodia, Chile, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Norway, Philippines, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Thailand and UK. See the entry visa exemption list at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website for duration of stay info.

eVisa

https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/en...trang-chu-ttdt

List of countries eligible for eVisa: https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/do...b-91595a4f5867 (link updated 2017-12-19, note new list can be published with different link) 35 more countries were announced as eligible for e-visa on Feb 20, 2019. Total is now 81 countries. See post 1561 for new additions (government website is down currently, will update with link here when possible).

Remember to print out the e-visa form they give you, as they will request it on arrival and on departure!

Some ports of entry require the evisa to be validated on arrival. In particular DAD has been cited in the thread as requiring the evisa holder to be processed at the VOA desk. Takes about 15 mins.

Visa On Arrival (VOA) at Airport Border Entries

Travelers planning to obtain a VOA should arrive with the following documents:

• VOA approval letter
  • Completed VISA APPLICATION which can be downloaded from most VOA service provider websites (travelers are advised to print the form on A4-size paper as there have been reports of US letter-size paper being refused)
  • One passport-type photo
  • Cash for visa stamp fee (see below)

VOA stamp fees for Non-USA passport holders (as of December 2019) are US$25 for a single entry of 1 or 3 months validity, US$50 for multiple entry of 1 or 3 months validity or US$100 for multiple entry 1 year validity.

For USA passport holders, there was a temporary increase from September to December of 2016, up to $135. However Effective December 15, 2016 the $135 stamping fee for US citizens has been dropped, and there are reports US passport holders can be issued VOA letters for single entry 30 day visas again AND that US citizens should only have to pay a $25 stamp fee at on collection of VOA. In late December, there were reports are that the desks in HAN and DAD did not receive the memo, so YMMV until the airport desks "get the memo."

This fee must be paid at the VOA counter on arrival , and is in addition to whatever fees you have paid the VOA service provider for the invitation letter. Payments are accepted in Vietnamese Dong, USD or Euros.

Visa on arrival (VOA) is permitted for one of the following purposes:

• Attend the funeral of family member or visit a family member in critical condition;
    • Arrival from a country where there is no Vietnamese diplomatic mission/consular office;
      • Visit Vietnam on tours organized by Vietnamese international travel agencies;
        • Provide emergency technical assistance for construction works, projects; emergency treatment for critical patients or accident victims; emergency relief in cases of natural disasters or epidemics in Vietnam;
          • For other urgent reasons.

There are countless service providers on the internet that offer VOA approval letters for a fee. Legitimate providers are licensed travel agencies, thus meeting the highlighted criterion above. Those planning to obtain a VOA approval letter are advised to take steps to ensure they are working with a licensed Vietnam travel agency or tour operator. Some Vietnam hotels are also able to provide this service.

Some VOA service providers offer expedited processing for same day or 30 minutes turnaround on issuance of VOA letter and priority processing upon arrival at the airport in Vietnam for an additional fee.

Advantages of VOA include lower cost than embassy-issued visa, eliminates the need to visit an embassy or mail passport for advance visa, and faster receipt of VOA approval letter (sent via email).

Disadvantages of VOA include longer immigration processing upon arrival, with potentially long waits for receipt of visa (usually 10-20 min., but longer waits do occur); privacy concerns due to inclusion of personal data for multiple unrelated travelers on one approval letter; and risk of scams by unauthorized VOA service providers.

VOA Process at the Airport in SGN

Removed by poster

VOA Service Providers Recommended By FTers

The following are a few of the VOA service providers that have been used and discussed in the thread by active FlyerTalk members. These providers publish sufficient information on their websites to suggest that they are authorized operators (e.g., provide physical business address, state actual travel company name, display tour operator license number, etc.). Members should verify these basic criteria before adding providers this list; simply having had successful transactions is not sufficient:

External Sources

Change log
26th-April
Edited to note that some ports of entry require the e-visa to be validated on arrival.
8 December 2019- Edited to add note about Phu Quoc being exempt from visa for 30 day visit and add info about 1 year multiple entry Visa which is now available via VoA process too.

FlyerTalkers with at least 90 days of membership and a minimum of 90 posts are invited to make corrections and update the information in this Wikipost.
Print Wikipost

Prior to 2022: Visa / VOA Info for Vietnam

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2016, 8:08 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Originally Posted by Tuan_Phan
With fast track service the time of waiting is up to 15 minutes only, normally your visa will be stamped within 5 minutes. Is this enough for you to switch to VOA
i didnt know you could get this in VN, the fast track service, but our hotel (PH Saigon) mentioned it once we areived. We always did this in Bali, although best i can tell it involves paying money to someone who is effectively allowed to cut in line and move your form to the front for immediate processing ;-)
Old Dec 27, 2016, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Vancouver Guy
I took a taxi from stand and was promptly ripped off, paying about 5x what I should have. Thus squandering the savings I had realized on the visa. Irony!
​​
How much did you pay, and to where?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:44 am

Americans with a 30-day VOA letter are now being charged US$25 at Hanoi Airport. Tried changing the Wiki, but keep getting a database error.

Last edited by 889; Jan 3, 2017 at 7:50 am
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:40 am

Hi. I am arriving in Vietnam Feb 8 2017. I called the NY Embassy, they don't know if the VOA is again offered for US citizens, except they told me they are still issuing the $80 30 month visa. They told me to call the Washington Embassy, except the visa choice brings me to a full voicemail so I can't leave a message, On the WASHINGTON embassy site, however, I saw this: http://vietnamembassy-usa.org/news/2011/09/warning which seems to clarify that the VOA for US citizens is only granted for specific reasons (such as funerals) and they mention some sites that are frauds, so if this is correct, then all the google results that state you can get a VOA for US citizens might be frauds?

EDIT: I just noticed the warning on the Washington embassy site is dated 2011, so perhaps it is meaningless. Hopefully more replies here from US citizens arriving after Dec 15 2016 will clarify this for me and all of us!

Are you positive US citizens can again get the VOA just for the $25 stamping fee? As I could ask my travel agency if they can get it for me, or recommend a legitimate agency. I understand the way it works is that your name is on a VOA list with many other people, as they process them as a group.

Could the author of this post and any US citizens with experience in December 2016 or Jan 2017 reply?

Thank you.

Bob

Last edited by magicbob; Jan 3, 2017 at 10:15 am
Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:58 pm

I posted a first-hand report of the situation at Hanoi Airport in the past few days. You even get a nice receipt back for your $25. But you do need to make sure you apply for a 30-day VOA letter.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by magicbob
Hi. I am arriving in Vietnam Feb 8 2017. I called the NY Embassy, they don't know if the VOA is again offered for US citizens, except they told me they are still issuing the $80 30 month visa
For future reference, the "NY Embassy" is really the Permanent Mission to the United Nation, and it only deals with UN businesses.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:18 pm

NY Embassy

If they are really the UN Mission, they must have a section that issues Visas as the website states they do, and I have an address in NYC to mail the app and check.

I presume you don't have an answer to the question I posted, since you didn't mention it?

One person replied stated they had posted a first hand report, but I'm not sure if that meant they were standing behind someone and saw the VOA was OK, or if it was their own VOA. I'll have to message him. Because perhaps the VOA was issued last year before the end of August when they were allowed.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:21 pm

Hi!
You advised you had posted a first hand report, but I'm not sure if that meant you were standing behind someone and saw the VOA was OK, or if it was your own VOA. I was thinking if it wasn't yours, it is possible that the VOA was issued last year before the end of August when they were allowed. Just wanting to make sure I have no problems once I arrive! Thank you for your help. Bob
Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6MM, Hilton Diamond
If they are really the UN Mission, they must have a section that issues Visas as the website states they do, and I have an address in NYC to mail the app and check.

I presume you don't have an answer to the question I posted, since you didn't mention it?
I was not aware that the VN Mission to the UN also handles the visa activities, thus my comment above.
There are other folks here that have more experience with Visa and Visa on Arrival than me that hopefully can answer your question.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 6:37 pm
Suspended

Hi!
You advised you had posted a first hand report, but I'm not sure if that meant you were standing behind someone and saw the VOA was OK, or if it was your own VOA. I was thinking if it wasn't yours, it is possible that the VOA was issued last year before the end of August when they were allowed. Just wanting to make sure I have no problems once I arrive! Thank you for your help. Bob
Whats important is to have a VOA letter match the exact type of Visa that will be issued at the airport. Thats why those who had a VOA letter issued when the Visa fee was $25 but when they were at the airport the $25 for 1 a 30 day Visa was out and $135 for a year was in, werent able to get the Visa for $25

Some folks have posted they showed up in HAN with a VOA letter and paid the $25 for the 30 day Visa.I assume as long as your VOA letter is still good date wise and you didnt change the dates of your travel per the window allowed you s/b AOK

If your VOA letter isnt for the 30 day $25 Visa Im not sure they will issue you anything other then what the VOA letter states
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:28 pm

Hi. I don't have a VOA letter yet, as I was ready to mail my app and $80 when I saw what appeared to be a change back to allowing the VOA for US citizens. So do I request a 30 day VOA letter and then where and when do I request the 30 day visa?
Thanks!
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Hi. I don't have a VOA letter yet, as I was ready to mail my app and $80 when I saw what appeared to be a change back to allowing the VOA for US citizens. So do I request a 30 day VOA letter and then where and when do I request the 30 day visa?
Thanks!
You use an on-line service (basically a travel agency) to obtain the VOA letter then you get the visa (and pay the stamping fee) when you land at your arrival airport.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:57 pm
Suspended

Thanks!
[Needlessly personalized text edited by Moderator.] Its all in the Wiki [at the top of the posts on each thread page].

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jan 8, 2017 at 10:19 am Reason: Per FT Rule 12.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:43 am

Wiki

I did scan the wiki, but I was looking for an apparent change back to VOA that occurred around Dec 16 2016 - and this wiki states at the top:

US Passport holders see below regarding fee change effective 9/1/16.

Therefore, this would not contain the most recent change if in fact it did occur, as it is only updated as of 9/1/16. Please correct me if I'm wrong and it does have the December changes, or if that can be found in another forum or link.

Thank you for your help.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:46 am

If indeed VOA's have returned for US tourist Visas, the Wiki states:
"travelers are advised to print the form on A4-size paper as there have been reports of US letter-size paper being refused"
Where does one find A4 size paper, or if it is smaller than 8-1/2 x 11, can one cut to A4 neatly with a paper cutter?
Any travelers here who submitted on 8-1/2 x 11 and did or had no problems?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.