Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kathmandu / Nepal

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2012, 2:33 am

Programs: M&M, FB, DL, BA, UA...
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
for hotels, I enjoyed Dwarika's in Kathmandu.
I second that opinion ^ We had a fabulous stay there.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by blueeagle3
Is this still active? So we (the Family and me) are thinking about visiting this hidden place of the earth next year! And yes, i would like see lots of Places! Money might be the limiting factor...But with your help, it might still be possible
Yes, Nepal is still active.

As far as money goes, you'll likely find that getting *to* Nepal is the part that may be relatively lengthy (timewise), expensive (cashwise), or both.

Once *in* Nepal, you can do it on a budget if you so choose. For our five days there, I thought it was a wonderful experience and well worth the time and expense spent to get there. We spend far less on a per-day per-person basis than, say, your typical European trip.

Someday I'd like to return to Nepal for 3-4 weeks when we can go on a more involved trek. Those, of course, get into some higher price tags.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
How reliable is Nepal Airlines?

Just booked HKG-KTM for next week (in J) and am wondering what to expect.

Saw a review from 2010 and a review from 2003 but wondering how things are now?
Old Mar 8, 2013, 8:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nepal_Airlines

I like their approach to MX: slaughter a couple goats in front of the 757 to appease the Gods. Sitting at ORD watching United's mechanics taking forever to change a tire, I wonder if they should maybe try the goat approach instead...

I do recall seeing the 757 sitting there at KTM. No idea what they're like inflight... I arrived via Jet Airways (to/from DEL) and was pleasantly surprised with their inflight service.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 10:35 pm

Kathmandu airport international transit

I am thinking of doing an international transit through Kathmandu airport and was wondering if people have some experience of that. My plan is to arrive from Delhi to Kathmandu around 1530 and depart the same day from Kathmandu at 2130 with Qatar. These are separate tickets. Travelling with hand luggage only.

I read there is a transit desk. But given that I am arriving super early, I may be waiting a long time before the Qatar check in desks open for someone landside to issue my ticket, right? So should I just get a transit visa and visit Kathmandu for a few hours?

The transit visa asks for name of hotel but as I am not staying overnight, should I just put in a random hotel name?

Thanks for any help!
Old Aug 25, 2019, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by tc69
I am thinking of doing an international transit through Kathmandu airport and was wondering if people have some experience of that. My plan is to arrive from Delhi to Kathmandu around 1530 and depart the same day from Kathmandu at 2130 with Qatar. These are separate tickets. Travelling with hand luggage only.

I read there is a transit desk. But given that I am arriving super early, I may be waiting a long time before the Qatar check in desks open for someone landside to issue my ticket, right? So should I just get a transit visa and visit Kathmandu for a few hours?

The transit visa asks for name of hotel but as I am not staying overnight, should I just put in a random hotel name?

Thanks for any help!
I visited Kathmandu earlier this year. I did not notice any transfer desks in the immigration arrival hall (more like a large room) and there didn't seem to be anywhere or anything to do in that room - you would be bored. Your best off entering Kathmandu even if for only a few hours but you won't have much time to do much from the point of passing through immigration (figure an hour from the time you actually deplane until you get your credentials approved at immigration) until it's time to enter the departure check-in lobby to get boarding passes (and you can only enter that lobby once the check-in counters open for your airline). Since lodging is so inexpensive, I suppose you get book a very low-cost room at a lodge to shower and relax; and then you will have a hotel to list on the VOA form, or you could just write "transit" for hotel and see what happens. The traffic near the airport is horrendous and one could almost walk as fast as cars can move down the road so make sure you book a place that is not more than 1/2 mile from the airport.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 5:17 pm

Go Out and Shop

Originally Posted by tc69

Thanks for any help!
I visited Kathmandu last year on a long layover. I totally enjoyed. I managed to visit several main sites in the city during the day. I hired a car and a driver all day for about $50.

In fact, next month, I am going to do the same again. But instead of visiting the temples, this time I am going to shop!!!!! :-D Seriously, there are so many things to buy in Nepal. Last time I regretted that I didn't shop enough. When I got home, I wish shopped more!

I believe the official cab costs about $6 to the city. Hotel costs about $20 - In my case, I just need a place to store my luggage and take a shower. These facilities are not available at KTM airport. Lastly, fill out the visa application and print it out beforehand. It will save you a lot of time cause arrival at KTM can be chaotic.

Safe travel!
Old Apr 24, 2022, 9:24 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
any recent arrival trip reports
thinking of taking Air Arabia from AUH into KTM

also
could I base myself in the Grand Hyatt KTM and see
Bodhnath
Bandipur
Pokhara
Bkaktapur
and
Patan
as day trips?
thanks

Originally Posted by johnsw1988
I visited Kathmandu last year on a long layover. I totally enjoyed. I managed to visit several main sites in the city during the day. I hired a car and a driver all day for about $50.

In fact, next month, I am going to do the same again. But instead of visiting the temples, this time I am going to shop!!!!! :-D Seriously, there are so many things to buy in Nepal. Last time I regretted that I didn't shop enough. When I got home, I wish shopped more!

I believe the official cab costs about $6 to the city. Hotel costs about $20 - In my case, I just need a place to store my luggage and take a shower. These facilities are not available at KTM airport. Lastly, fill out the visa application and print it out beforehand. It will save you a lot of time cause arrival at KTM can be chaotic.

Safe travel!
Old Apr 24, 2022, 10:11 pm
Used to be 'lohiadk'

HI

Arrival is easy from anywhere as visa on arrival is open. PCR not required and no quarantine.
From Hyatt you cannot do Pokhra and Bandipur those are different cities. Pokhra you can either fly or take bus. Banfipur you have to take bus from Kathmandu or Pokhra.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 10:33 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
If I ever get out of here I am going to Kathmandu.
84fiero likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 4:56 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
are any sane day turn around seven as flights?

Does hotel offer free airport pickup/shuttle for Globalists?

Originally Posted by Nepal72
HI

Arrival is easy from anywhere as visa on arrival is open. PCR not required and no quarantine.
From Hyatt you cannot do Pokhra and Bandipur those are different cities. Pokhra you can either fly or take bus. Banfipur you have to take bus from Kathmandu or Pokhra.
Old May 11, 2022, 7:48 pm
Used to be 'lohiadk'

Originally Posted by frank_10b
are any sane day turn around seven as flights?

Does hotel offer free airport pickup/shuttle for Globalists?
No the hotel doesnt offer free pick up or drop.

There are more than 20 flights a day between Pokhra and KTM starting as early as 7AM to 6PM so its possible to do same day turn around, but delays are very regular in domestic flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.