Mileage Run Destination - BKK or TPE?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2007, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;

I have some funds to use on a Koreanair (KE) 'C' flight from the US. I will most likely use those for a Mileage Run to SE Asia, and am looking at flying either to BKK or TPE. Which city is more conducive for a MR?

In other words, which has easy public connection to the city center from the airport, enough things to see for a 24-36 hour layover, and decent prices (hotels and restaurants?)

At the moment, I'm leaning a bit more towards BKK, but would be interested to hear about people's thoughts about TPE for such a short trip.

Thanks!
Old Jul 23, 2007, 8:00 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Originally Posted by bostonbali
In other words, which has easy public connection to the city center from the airport, enough things to see for a 24-36 hour layover, and decent prices (hotels and restaurants?)
For connections, I'd say not much to choose. But all round, Bangkok is cheaper and more tourist friendly - unless you speak Chinese or are particularly interested in Chinese culture.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 4:31 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Originally Posted by bostonbali
I have some funds to use on a Koreanair (KE) 'C' flight from the US. I will most likely use those for a Mileage Run to SE Asia, and am looking at flying either to BKK or TPE. Which city is more conducive for a MR?

At the moment, I'm leaning a bit more towards BKK, but would be interested to hear about people's thoughts about TPE for such a short trip.

Thanks!
For a MR, I would choose BKK over TPE.

As jimbo alread mentioned, it is cheaper. TPE does not have easy public connection to the city center from the airport. You have to use a bus system that no one seems to speak english or a taxi. Still cheap with western standards but taxi's do add up quickly.

Once you are in the city, there is a MRT.

TPE's standard of living and cost of living is higher than BKK IMHO.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 5:53 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Have a close look at the KE flight schedule. You have decent or good connection times at ICN between BKK and the USA gateways, save for some on the West Coast (longer transit time going to USA). I've checked TPE connections once or twice, and I think those connections aren't so great, though I may be wrong.

Can't comment yet on TPE, as my first real visit there is still six weeks off. But I'm always willing to go to BKK. Great people and culture, great food, wonderful service and very reasonable prices, even if the appreciation of the baht has driven prices up.

I think you've seen the "list of flights with AVOD" thread in the KE forum. But if not, and for the benefit of others, be sure to get on a transpac with KE's updated C class seats-- huge improvement over the old mechanical contraptions. Business Class on KE's 777-300's BKK-ICN isn't as good as the new transpac stuff, but it's still quite comfy.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 9:18 am

Bkk is much more popular tourist destination and I totally agree with everyone else's comments re cost, ease of connection, etc.

BUT for a mileage run and as an alternative, do think and consider a day trip to the National Palace Musueum just north of downtown Taipei. Try to arrange for english speaking museum tour or personal guide and great place to spend an entire day.

And depending on your flights, Taipei would be a couple of hours less flying time.
If you do decide on Taipei, pm for more help/suggestions.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:09 pm

well the only problem i have with bangkok as a mile run destination is there is WAY, WAY too much to do there, and you'd feel miserable leaving after just two days there.

but you can sign up for a day tour to the palaces and some of the wots and then just get out and walk the next day.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 8:57 am

Programs: UA, CX, BR
Not to dispute any of the above favorable comments re. Bangkok, but one point: Taipei's air is a bit better. Of course both places are 24/7 steam-baths through September. Taipei's one world-class feature is the National Palace Museum (as mentioned above); also of course still (for a few more days) it can claim the world's tallest building (which is actually a bore). Depending on your cultural tastes, visiting local temples is a lot of fun--true of both places. Taipei certainly has good eating if you're more inclined to Chinese than Thai cuisine (see other threads for TPE food). ...The airport bus people do speak enough English to get you to the different parts of the city (e.g., the central train station, where you can get the MRT).
Old Jul 25, 2007, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Thanks everybody. I think I'll hit BKK this time, and hope for another opportunity to visit TPE in the future!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.