Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anything to do in Brunei Airport

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2007, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Anything to do in Brunei Airport

i potentially have a 10 hour stop over in brunei airport (during the day) and am somewhat dreading it. does anyone know if there is much to do there as i really don't fancy sitting on an uncomfortable chair for that length of time.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 2:28 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Welcome to Flyer Talk sharktooth

For 10 hours I would definitely head into the city (not far away, and choice of bus or cab to get there) and explore. There really is little to see and do in the airport (a couple of cafe/restaurants and souvenir shops is about it), and the terminal can get crowded and noisy at times.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Yeah, I'd also try to get out. BSB is pretty compact, and seeing the water village or the huge Mosque is pretty easily done. If memory serves, all the museums were free, too.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 6:27 am

Programs: NW Gold Elite, DL, HH, Victoria Court Select Member
Originally Posted by sharktooth
i potentially have a 10 hour stop over in brunei airport (during the day) and am somewhat dreading it. does anyone know if there is much to do there as i really don't fancy sitting on an uncomfortable chair for that length of time.

See if you can contact the Sultan. He might even take you where you need to go on his private jet: http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.co...ne/walk573.htm
It looks much more comfy than any flight I've ever been on.

If that doesn't work, see the sites.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 6:59 am

Programs: Delta GM, US Silver, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by viking407rob
See if you can contact the Sultan. He might even take you where you need to go on his private jet: http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.co...ne/walk573.htm
It looks much more comfy than any flight I've ever been on.

If that doesn't work, see the sites.
More proof that money will never buy good taste. That has to be the most ridiculous bathroom I have ever seen.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 9:15 am

Programs: NW Gold Elite, DL, HH, Victoria Court Select Member
Originally Posted by Stefferdoos
More proof that money will never buy good taste. That has to be the most ridiculous bathroom I have ever seen.

Heaven forbid if something happened to that plane. The solid gold sink basins and commode handles would likely be stolen from the rummage. Im sure looters would have a field day in that scrap pile.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 11:04 am

I visited BSB for a few days last November. There is essentially nothing of interest at the airport so you definitely want to head into town. If you are coming from Singapore, Singaporean dollars are interchangable with Brunei dollars. There is a money exchange at the airport and ATMs around town.

IIRC there is a bus that makes the airport to downtown BSB run or you can easily hire a taxi. Downtown BSB is very compact and walkable.

The Yayasen Shopping Center isn't a bad location to be dropped off downtown; from here you can walk over to the jetty and hire a boat to take a ride through the Floating Village. Or you can walk in the other direction over to the Grand Mosque. The Royal Regalia Museum (free) is also downtown - gifts and treasures from the Sultan's collection and lots of photos of him and his family.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 1:36 am

I have a six hour layover at Brunei Airport (Bandar Seri Begawan) as well, on the way to KK. I'll definitely follow the suggestions here. But does anyone have a rough idea how many Brunei dollars I should carry before I arrive? I'll probably bus around and grab a dinner. I understand the Brunei currency is linked to Singapore's, but I imagine the exchange options at the airport aren't exactly 1:1 ...
Old Jan 23, 2009, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by verix
But does anyone have a rough idea how many Brunei dollars I should carry before I arrive? I'll probably bus around and grab a dinner. I understand the Brunei currency is linked to Singapore's, but I imagine the exchange options at the airport aren't exactly 1:1 ...
No, Brunei and Singapore currency are fully interchangeable -- not only can you use Sing notes anywhere in Brunei at 1:1, but you can use Brunei notes anywhere in Sing! ^

Budgetwise, S$/B$100 should be plenty for taxis to/from the airport and a decent meal.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:21 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Please continue this discussion in the Asia forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Jouy31
TravelBuzz moderator
Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:25 am

I also suggest heading into town to Yayasen Shopping Center. There are a couple of good restaurants there (I especially enjoyed dinner at the Indian restaurant on the ground floor). Don't miss a boat ride through the floating village; just walk towards the river and you'll be approached by guides in boats offering tours. The mosque across from the center is also worth a looksee; non-Muslims may enter the sanctuary only during certain visiting hours but I believe you can pretty much walk the grounds anytime the mosque is open. The Royal Regalia museum absorbed a couple of hours of my time but depending on the heat and humidity you might want to take a taxi from the shopping center to get there rather than walk.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 11:03 am

Thanks very much for the tips! I'll simply change for some SGD before I leave. I probably won't have enough time to visit the museum. It should be interesting to compare oil-rich Brunei to its neighbor, Kota Kinabalu. At least, I hope so.

Will report back soon.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 11:27 am

One of these transit tours may be worthwhile. But since I'm stopping over by myself, probably not...
Old Jun 14, 2010, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is it worth it to spend the night here to experience the country or is a few hours layover enough?
Old Jun 15, 2010, 1:52 am

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Is it worth it to spend the night here to experience the country or is a few hours layover enough?
I think it depends on what you're interested in within Brunei. There's enough around the country to keep you somewhat occupied for a couple of days. A look around BSB with the museums, mosques, water village and the like will fill a day. If you enjoy nature then a day trip across to Temburong is decent enough as well - the forest is certainly more intact than in most places in Malaysia these days anyway.

Oh, and if you want a somewhat different experience, find a restaurant that serves up ambuyat - a traditional local dish. It's fair to say I haven't tasted anything like it anywhere else (except maybe when I tried eating glue as a kid! ). If you're travelling a fair bit around Asia it is a relatively tranquil spot to visit though, you certainly won't be constantly hassled by touts (in fact trying to find someone who wants to take your money can often be the tougher task! ).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.