Wiki Posts
Search

Your favourite restaurant in Taipei

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2007, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: some
Your favourite restaurant in Taipei

Will be going back to Taipei soon for the first time in 7 years and am looking forward to some nice Taiwanese food. Any recommendations?

I will certainly have some streetfood (loved the smelly tofu last time!) but am looking for a restaurant recommendation. Price no object and I eat anything.

Thanks!
ps Will be staying at the Landis and this is for a Sunday night.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 4:31 am

Programs: Hyatt GP, SPG, HHonor, Asia Miles
I recommand the Shin Yeh restaurant at No.34-1, Shuangcheng St., Jhongshan District, Taipei City. Its the original restaurant of the Shin Yeh Group, recently celebrated its 30 year annaversary.

This restaurant is famous for its Taiwanese cuisine, (sweet patato porriage) with local favorites such as si gua (sponge cucumber), dried fish w/ peanut and others.

Website (Chinese only w/ a map): http://www.shinyeh.com.tw/taiwan_a.htm

Enjoy!^
Old Apr 22, 2007, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TPE/PDX/SFO
I recommand the Shin Yeh restaurant at No.34-1, Shuangcheng St., Jhongshan District, Taipei City. Its the original restaurant of the Shin Yeh Group, recently celebrated its 30 year annaversary.

This restaurant is famous for its Taiwanese cuisine, (sweet patato porriage) with local favorites such as si gua (sponge cucumber), dried fish w/ peanut and others.

Enjoy!^
Excellent, thanks!! Coming from someone with a screenname like yours it must be good!
Old Apr 23, 2007, 2:10 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
I've heard that Din Tai Feng is pretty good place to eat.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 6:21 am

Din Tai Feng is, IMO, a tourist trap, but if you wish to watch the chefs in action I then recommand the orignal location @ Hsin Yi Road. Fliar, if I can impose you for a bit of a "Trip Report" on Shin Yeh it will be greatly appreciated! Thanks lots and enjoy your meal!
Old Apr 25, 2007, 11:49 pm

Programs: UA, CX, BR
Last year I posted some reviews here under Extras/Reviews/Taipei, before the forum was closed (but the reviews are still there). I'm not a great fan of Shin-yeh -- or of Ding Tai Feng (if only because I can't stand the queus and don't like their prices). But they are certainly both OK.

Not posted under the review section is a really great little restaurant that specializes in I-lan (an east coast town) cooking--which is kind of like a very informal Taiwanese-Japanese fusion cuisine. It's called Lyu-sang (Mr. Lyu) and itis on Yong-kang St. just a couple blocks south of Hsin-i Rd. (呂桑食堂:台北市永康街12之5號), opposite the little park.

I like their I-lan specialities, which include but are not limited to a sort-of pickled duck (鴨賞), fried pork cake with a hint of liver (肝花), gaoza (which I love without wanting to know exactly what it is--I reckon it's a shrimp-pork-fish paste fry) (糕渣). Also a bit more Japanese-y: the eel, the fried intestines (味噌大腸) and doufu (日式炸豆腐). The noodle dishes are good. So too the sashimi and the cooked fish dishes. You order as you enter, so you can see what you're ordering and talk it over with the server (but they are usually a bit rushed). There's an upstairs, so don't panic if it looks full, but it does get crowded on weekends.

A nice self-avowedly Taiwanese restaurant is in the basement of the Howard Plaza Hotel on Ren-ai Rd. (Sorry I don't remember its name, but it's the only one there). Good, maybe classier, but not as much fun as Mr. Lyu's or the restaurants I put in the review section.

And anyway, it's hard to wrong in Taipei.

Last edited by taipeipeter; Apr 26, 2007 at 1:08 am
Old Apr 26, 2007, 6:19 am

Wow, thanks for the recomm. Gotta try that one out! Thanks!
BTW, the Taiwanese restaurant in the basement of the Howard Plaza is called "Formosa". Thanks again for the kind input!
Old Apr 27, 2007, 8:26 pm

Programs: Lifetime Hilton Diamond; UA 1K; Marriott Titanium Elite
I recommend the restaurant at the top of the Sheraton - typically would not recommend hotel food, but this isn't the case here. This is one of the most recognized restaurants in Taipei for its authenticity. Our local business partner took us there so I trusted their choice. Best thing too is that you can charge it to your room and earn Starwood points if that matters to you.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Fantastic, thanks people! Now looking for a club/bar for drinks - unfortunately for a Sunday night so may be difficult...any suggestions?
Old Apr 28, 2007, 9:21 am

Sunday Salsa @ the Brown Sugar is a start...Monday night's Jazz is also good as well. No. 101, SungRen Rd., ShinYi District, Taipei. In the shadow of the T101 building and a stones throw from the Ramono's Macaroni Grill restaurant. Have fun!
Old Apr 30, 2007, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by carterdayne
I recommend the restaurant at the top of the Sheraton - typically would not recommend hotel food, but this isn't the case here. This is one of the most recognized restaurants in Taipei for its authenticity. Our local business partner took us there so I trusted their choice. Best thing too is that you can charge it to your room and earn Starwood points if that matters to you.
Absolutely second this suggestion - it used to be a private club but recently went public. Was actually there for lunch about 6 wks ago - it is very crowded at lunch so best to reserve.

Formosa in basement of Howard Plaza - over-rated Taiwan restaurant. Years back it was excellent but like everything else with Howard Plaza, run down.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 1:13 pm

Programs: NON ELITE
Originally Posted by TPE/PDX/SFO

Enjoy!^
Taiwanese?....Why do they have so many pictures of Japanese style food?
Old Apr 30, 2007, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dtsm
Absolutely second this suggestion - it used to be a private club but recently went public. Was actually there for lunch about 6 wks ago - it is very crowded at lunch so best to reserve.

Formosa in basement of Howard Plaza - over-rated Taiwan restaurant. Years back it was excellent but like everything else with Howard Plaza, run down.
Is this the one that bills itself as a Cantonese restaurant?
I can't make out from this website which one you are referring to:
http://www.sheraton-taipei.com/english/r_fuze.htm
Old May 1, 2007, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by GPS123
Taiwanese?....Why do they have so many pictures of Japanese style food?
Its because Shin Yeh has branched out into other cuisines as well, in additional to the Taiwan-style.
Old May 1, 2007, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by Fliar
Is this the one that bills itself as a Cantonese restaurant?
I can't make out from this website which one you are referring to:
http://www.sheraton-taipei.com/english/r_fuze.htm
I think carterdayne and dtsm was refering to "The Guest House" located on the 17th floor of the Taipei Sheraton.
http://www.sheraton-taipei.com/engli...uest_house.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.