Dps

Old Aug 28, 2006, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD *S, SQ nada
Dps

Hi all,

Looking at this board for some ideas for a trip to DPS for my parents. What would you recommend for a location to stay in, and what other attractions are a must see? Its a 4 night trip for them, and their first to DPS.

In view of the real thread, I have read from previous posts to avoid Kuta area. What about Nusa Dua? Are the hotels there any good as I'm looking at Westin or Sheraton or the Melia currently.

Or alternative districts that are comparable. They just want to relax by the beach, do some shopping and sightseeing, and some massage/spa. At their age, I don't believe they would be interested in partying.

Oh, they are also not keen to blow a big hole in their wallet too. But something in the range of $100-$200 a night would be reasonable for them.

Comments are greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 12:51 pm
In memoriam

Bali is unbelievably cheap. I stayed in a family compound in Central Ubud for $3/night, breakfast incuded. Cool shower only. Probably not for your folks, but a little Net searching (or talking to travel agents after arrival) or bidding on Priceline should get a lovely place with a pool for less than $40-50 a night, breakfast included. Ubud is an excellent place to stay for a week or so. Be sure to see the temple dances which are really worthwhile. There is a different one every night. Keep in mind that Ubud is not near the coast.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 8:55 pm

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
There's plenty of good resort style hotels in Nusa Dua in Bali, the ones you've listed are amongst the best in the area (along with the Grand Hyatt). Keep in mind that Nusa Dua doesn't give so much of the flavour of being in Bali, being a somewhat separated enclave. It's easy enough to head out for sightseeing tours though and then being able to relax and unwind later back in the resort.

With only four nights I'm not sure if I'd recommend splitting the trip between destinations - with a couple of extra nights it would be easier to do half down by the beach at Nusa Dua (or Jimbaran Bay as well, for the InterContinental, Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton as options - I'm a fan of the InterContinental personally, especially the Club Rooms ^ ). Then the other half could be done in the Ubud area to soak up the culture of Bali (and the shopping's certainly cheaper up there as well ).
Old Oct 19, 2006, 2:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD *S, SQ nada
Well, thanks for the tips. I will feedback to them.

In any case, they've decided on Sheraton, so we'll see how it goes.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 10:35 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
My parents will be splitting their four night stay in Bali between the Sheraton and Westin. With SPG's Cash+Points, it worked out to be very reasonable for what I think will be a great value for $ + points spent.

That being said, can anyone tell me how far Jakarta is from DPS? Would it be worthwhile for them to possibly spend a night in Jakarta and three nights in Bali? My parent's aren't too big on beaches, so I if heading over to Jakarta is an option, I'd certianly like to explore it. Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 11:00 am

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by kaysquare
Hi all,

Looking at this board for some ideas for a trip to DPS for my parents. What would you recommend for a location to stay in, and what other attractions are a must see? Its a 4 night trip for them, and their first to DPS.

In view of the real thread, I have read from previous posts to avoid Kuta area. What about Nusa Dua? Are the hotels there any good as I'm looking at Westin or Sheraton or the Melia currently.

Or alternative districts that are comparable. They just want to relax by the beach, do some shopping and sightseeing, and some massage/spa. At their age, I don't believe they would be interested in partying.

Oh, they are also not keen to blow a big hole in their wallet too. But something in the range of $100-$200 a night would be reasonable for them.

Comments are greatly appreciated.
I have been to Bali several times, and love it there. I usually stay in Jimbaran area in small private resorts, with rooms less than $150/nt. Private pools, massage services very nice service. Try [URL=www.bali-travelnet.com] and look around, esp at "Luxury hotels and villas".

Ubud is fantastic, and you can stay in places ranging from a couple bucks per night to Amanpuri, etc. Thel options abound.

I always stay in local places, and never in chain hotels in Bali, and have never been disappointed.

There is nothing wrong with Kuta itself, just that it is busy and crowded. Most of the hotels there are not the ones your folks are likely to want to stay in anyway, more for budget and backpackers. Candidasa and some of the other villages in Bali are lovely. I personally recommend hiring a car with driver that speaks English. Very cheap and allows you to go where you want when you want. Often the driver also serves as a guide.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.