Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are 6 days in Phuket in May too much?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Are 6 days in Phuket in May too much?

First let me say this will be my first trip to Phuket and I'm sure I am not the typical visitor to the island.

I'm an older guy traveling alone and have booked into the Phuket Pavilions near Bang Tao for (I hope) the quiet and privacy to complete some writing. After that I hope to see as much of Phuket and the offshore islands as I can. I am far more interested in the fauna, flora and geomorphology of Phuket and the remarkable landforms of the offshore islands (I'm a professional geologist) than the night life, snake farms, elephant rides and other "tourist attractions". A day or two on the beach would be plenty for me.

Any recommnedations on how to accomplish this? So far I can only find what seems to be "standard" tours all visiting the same standard places.

I know in early May I should expect some (perhaps a lot of) rain. Is the beginning of the monsoon season apt to limit access to the offshore islands?

I guess my concern, given my rather special interests, is that I will not find enough to occupy 6 days. I did have an acquaintance observe that if a couple of days at the beach are enough, that night life, the party scene and "tourist" attractions are not to my liking, then why am I going to Phuket in the first place? According to him, few poeple go to Phuket for the physical beauty, serenity and tranquility of the place.

Any comments and advice would be most welcome.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:22 pm
Suspended

If you rent a car you can see alot, and travel to Krabi and around the coast.. that may give you the vacation your looking for. Another different way to go is to try the Atsumi center for health, many folks lose 10KG in a week there and enjoy sun, sand ect..

Bang Tao is nice and local, cheap eats, local pricing.. I just built a Villa in Thalang, which is very close.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 12:31 am

Programs: UA 1P, HH Diamond, *Wood Gold
6 days is enough

2 days on the beach

You can go a riskier route of island hopping and charter your own boat. Your hotel would have some recommendations.

Don't drive to Krabi - you can get there by boat or helicopter in 1/10 of the time.

You should think of going to Kho Lak - this place has really boomed since the tsunami. Also think of Koh Chang and Similan. I did a full day of island hopping and fishing in and around Koh Chang with my family for 5000 baht. However, my brother-in-law has connections that you will not. You could probably do it for 20,000. The boat was a 25 footer.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 5:48 am

For a geologist I'd double the recommendation for Krabi, Koh Lanta or Phang Nga over Phuket, the limestone formations there are out of this world. They're also a lot quieter than Phuket (in a good way), without the "hello massage hansum man" hassle you'd get in a place like Patong.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 2:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Marriott Plat, SwissBel Gold
Originally Posted by jrussell
First let me say this will be my first trip to Phuket and I'm sure I am not the typical visitor to the island.

I'm an older guy traveling alone and have booked into the Phuket Pavilions near Bang Tao for (I hope) the quiet and privacy to complete some writing. After that I hope to see as much of Phuket and the offshore islands as I can. I am far more interested in the fauna, flora and geomorphology of Phuket and the remarkable landforms of the offshore islands (I'm a professional geologist) than the night life, snake farms, elephant rides and other "tourist attractions". A day or two on the beach would be plenty for me.

Any recommnedations on how to accomplish this? So far I can only find what seems to be "standard" tours all visiting the same standard places.

I know in early May I should expect some (perhaps a lot of) rain. Is the beginning of the monsoon season apt to limit access to the offshore islands?

I guess my concern, given my rather special interests, is that I will not find enough to occupy 6 days. I did have an acquaintance observe that if a couple of days at the beach are enough, that night life, the party scene and "tourist" attractions are not to my liking, then why am I going to Phuket in the first place? According to him, few poeple go to Phuket for the physical beauty, serenity and tranquility of the place.

Any comments and advice would be most welcome.
I have found the night life in Phuket to be the best and I do consider myself a seasoned punter....
Old Mar 14, 2006, 7:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jpatokal
"hello massage hansum man" .

You talking to me??
Old Mar 14, 2006, 4:13 pm

Phuket Pavilions is a far distance from the grittiness of Patong.

I've lived for four years on Phuket - and I'm not bored yet. It is a good base for exploring the other areas mentioned.

It would be hard to beat Phuket for birdwatching - kites cruise the coast line and lagoons in the area whereyou will be staying - as well as a few water monitors. The lagoons (old tin mines that have been rehabbed) are home to java pond herons, cormorants, kingfishers, purple swamp hens, white-breasted water hens and much more. The Laguna golf course is built around some of the lagoons and an early morning stroll on the course - is a delight!
Old Mar 16, 2006, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the comments and advice. I think I will have no trouble filling 6 days with things I enjoy doing. tedkarma, thanks for the birdwatching tip. I'll pack the binoculars.

Last edited by jrussell; Mar 16, 2006 at 3:32 pm
Old Mar 16, 2006, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tedkarma
Phuket Pavilions is a far distance from the grittiness of Patong.

I've lived for four years on Phuket - and I'm not bored yet. It is a good base for exploring the other areas mentioned.

It would be hard to beat Phuket for birdwatching - kites cruise the coast line and lagoons in the area whereyou will be staying - as well as a few water monitors. The lagoons (old tin mines that have been rehabbed) are home to java pond herons, cormorants, kingfishers, purple swamp hens, white-breasted water hens and much more. The Laguna golf course is built around some of the lagoons and an early morning stroll on the course - is a delight!

Patong Grittie....I would recommend Patong for bird Watching, best done after Sundown as that is when the birds come out! Also, I think they are Brown Breasted Beer Hens os the bird mentioned above!
Old Mar 16, 2006, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by jrussell
Thanks everyone for the comments and advice. I think I will have no trouble filling 6 days with things I enjoy doing. tedkarma, thanks for the birdwatching tip. I'll pack the binoculars.
If you are a cormorant fan - go to the 17th fairway on the golf course at about 07:15 and look for the long lagoon that runs the full 3-400+ meters of the fairway. Sitting on the posts that mark the "out of bounds" for the golf course on the edge of the lagoon - I guarantee you'll you see at least one there drying his wings - sometimes as many as three (though spread out to protect their own territories). Makes for a GREAT photo!
Old Mar 17, 2006, 9:57 am
Suspended

Brown Breasted Beer Boobies

Originally Posted by tedkarma
If you are a cormorant fan - go to the 17th fairway on the golf course at about 07:15 and look for the long lagoon that runs the full 3-400+ meters of the fairway. Sitting on the posts that mark the "out of bounds" for the golf course on the edge of the lagoon - I guarantee you'll you see at least one there drying his wings - sometimes as many as three (though spread out to protect their own territories). Makes for a GREAT photo!
Best view of Commorants is underwater when they dive for fish.... Try a few dives at Racha Ya and Racha Noi...
I will also recommend a Bangala Night Dive to view the Brown Breasted Beer Boobies.....Very interesting how the fashion is to remove "Tail Feathers" as it is a sign for the females that they want to mate! Don't worry about field glasses as these birds are very tame and most likely will try to look in you pockets to see if you have any Boobie Food which is also know as Baht! Happy watching. I have a PhD in Brown Breasted Beer Boobies. Note of inportance. There also a large flock of birds that were born male but fly about looking for Boobie Food while appearing to be Female. This off shoot can be more aggressive as to looking for food and but is easilly spotted as when they inflate their chest as a sign of prowess you can tell something is not right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.