Search

How to go to/from SZX and Hong Kong?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2005, 10:16 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
How to go to/from SZX and Hong Kong?

What's the best way to get from Hong Kong to SZN and how long/how much does it take? Thanks.

Need to get from Hong Kong to Guilin but looks like the flight is sold out on my requested date. I did notice availability between SZX and KWL and it was also $150 cheaper per person.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 11:42 am

Programs: UA GS/1K, SQ SilverKris, DL MM-Silver
I beleive there is a ferry terminal very near the SZX airport. Probalby easiest way to transit between Hong Kong (Kowloon) and SZX.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
The ferry is the easiest, as the immigration/customs controls are easy and not crowded for both HK and China. There's a shuttle from the pier to the airport. However, the ferry's not that frequent and is more expensive than other methods.

Schedule at www.turbojet.com.hk/turbojet_sailing_rev.htm

There are lots of "direct" buses from various points in Hong Kong, but you have to go through the border at Wong Kwong with like tens of thousand other people who go between HK and China everyday.

Last edited by rkkwan; Oct 31, 2005 at 2:23 pm
Old Oct 31, 2005, 11:59 am

Are you talking about Dragonair from HKG to Guilin?
I did this myself, flew to HKG, went to Shenzen (by chaffuered vehicle with family) and onwards to Guilin. The airlines from Shenzen are MUCH cheaper- it was only $60 from Shenzen to Guilin, returning my family didn't want me to put up with the hassle of getting from Shenzen back to Kowloon so I flew Dragonair for $300! (The flight times were much better anywas). The buses are your best bet, but the border is a pain. The Chinese airlines out of Shenzen are pretty scary- no assigned seats, old aircraft, etc.... but Shenzen airport is pretty nice.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
What's the best way to get from Hong Kong to SZN and how long/how much does it take? Thanks.

Need to get from Hong Kong to Guilin but looks like the flight is sold out on my requested date. I did notice availability between SZX and KWL and it was also $150 cheaper per person.
Just did the ferry in the reverse direction three weeks ago. It was a breeze and the ferry was very nice. Right next to the hotel I stayed in-Nan Hai hotel. The ferry is not close to the airport. It cost me 210RMB for a hotel car from airport to hotel. So for $25.00 or so USD, I guess it must be about 20-25 km to the airport from the ferry terminal.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by greatam
Just did the ferry in the reverse direction three weeks ago. It was a breeze and the ferry was very nice. Right next to the hotel I stayed in-Nan Hai hotel. The ferry is not close to the airport. It cost me 210RMB for a hotel car from airport to hotel. So for $25.00 or so USD, I guess it must be about 20-25 km to the airport from the ferry terminal.
You did not take the ferry from the Fu Yong pier, which is 5km from the Shenzhen Airport, which the Turbojet service uses. Instead, you used the Shekou pier, which is next to the Nan Hai Hotel, and is about 28km from SZX.

Different ferry piers we're talking here.

Last edited by rkkwan; Oct 31, 2005 at 2:29 pm
Old Oct 31, 2005, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by rkkwan
You did not take the ferry from the Fu Yong pier, which is 5km from the Shenzhen Airport, which the Turbojet service uses. Instead, you used the Shekou pier, which is next to the Nan Hai Hotel, and is about 28km from SZX.

Different ferry piers we're talking here.
Sorry, insert foot, open mouth.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 7:24 pm

transport to SZX

Originally Posted by JHattery
I beleive there is a ferry terminal very near the SZX airport. Probalby easiest way to transit between Hong Kong (Kowloon) and SZX.
There are direct bus services from Hongkong and kowloon side to the airport. (outside of Kowloon Hotel, BP Hotel at Austin road, and at Prince Edward Road and Nathan Road).

Going by train is also cheapest and easiest. It will cost you about HK$30 for the train ride (every 10 minute and depending on your station) to LoWu. After clearing custom and immigation, there is a direct bus going from LoWu bus depot to the airport for about HK$10. It usually is very efficient and fast. Please allow 2 hours total time.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 9:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fun888
Going by train is also cheapest and easiest.
cheapest, yes, but the some of the other options mentioned in this thread (including your own suggestions) are much easier imo
Old Nov 5, 2005, 6:26 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
I took a ferry from Guang Dong to HKG airport this week at 8AM for a mid afternoon flight. I did not realize that once you arrive at HKG you are in transit in the departures area. Hong Kong immigration will not allow you to enter Hong Kong if you arrive on the ferry (and note this on the landing form)

I wasn't warned of this so was forced to camp out at the airport lounge for 4 hours instead of enjoying a quick trip into Kowloon.

Otherwise the ferry is much faster than taking the train to the Kowloon and then the Airport express to the airport.
Old Nov 5, 2005, 8:42 pm

I'll second the other posts on the ferry...ferry is the most relaxing way to go. I just did something similar...went from HKG up to the SZX airport to catch a flight to Urumqi and same on return. The link above to turbojet has the ferry times. The only bad part is the ferries are not that often and are no help for early morning flights ex-SZX or late night coming back to HK. There is ONE ferry from the Hong Kong SHuntek center in the morning and about 8 that go from the Kowloon ferry terminal. Limited on return also in the evenings. The ferry takes just about an hour to the Shenzhen Fuyong Ferry Terminal and there is a bus that runs from the ferry terminal in SZX every 10 minutes (or when it is full) to meet flights. We did this and got to the airport about 45 minutes prior to departure and had no problems at all.

Highly recommend this because the buses are a pain in the neck! They also take far more time then the bus companies ever advertise! ANd you have to get on and off the bus 2 times at each border, carrying luggage each way.

Hope this helps!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.