Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bali Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2005, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by 1K_From_SNA
...Did anyone here use miles to go? If so, how far ahead did you book?

Thanks....
I just returned last night. I booked about 6 weeks out over the US holiday weekend. It took a lot of of calls to the Intl MP Desk, but I managed to get the routing & dates I wanted, Raffles on both of the DPS segments, then for the transpacs Raffles on the 345 outbound, and F on my return with all segments on SQ metal except the US domestic segments (on UA).
Old May 31, 2005, 1:38 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by cawhite60156
I just returned last night. I booked about 6 weeks out over the US holiday weekend. It took a lot of of calls to the Intl MP Desk, but I managed to get the routing & dates I wanted, Raffles on both of the DPS segments, then for the transpacs Raffles on the 345 outbound, and F on my return with all segments on SQ metal except the US domestic segments (on UA).
Interesting info cheryl. When I booked my awards back in February I was told that I would not be able to book SIN-DPS-SIN in the front cabin of a two class non-transpacific segment using a 90K *Alliance award. Even though it is an only 2 hour flight I felt very slighted. Since you were able to get the biz seat SIN-DPS-SIN on the 90K award I decided to try my luck and see if I could get in biz class on that segment for my tickets in July. Called UA and they had a long discussion and determined that I was able to book biz on the segments. They were able to move me up to biz on the outbound SIN-DPS (and on the earlier 9ish AM departure that I really wanted all along) but were unable to do so on the return due to no availability. They even called SQ to verify and apparently all systems are go! I just have to go exchange my paper tickets for new ones. Thanks for the info Cheryl. Apparently there has been a change in policy.
Old May 31, 2005, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by prncess674
Interesting info cheryl. When I booked my awards back in February I was told that I would not be able to book SIN-DPS-SIN in the front cabin of a two class non-transpacific segment using a 90K *Alliance award. Even though it is an only 2 hour flight I felt very slighted. Since you were able to get the biz seat SIN-DPS-SIN on the 90K award I decided to try my luck and see if I could get in biz class on that segment for my tickets in July. Called UA and they had a long discussion and determined that I was able to book biz on the segments. They were able to move me up to biz on the outbound SIN-DPS (and on the earlier 9ish AM departure that I really wanted all along) but were unable to do so on the return due to no availability. They even called SQ to verify and apparently all systems are go! I just have to go exchange my paper tickets for new ones. Thanks for the info Cheryl. Apparently there has been a change in policy.
No problem. I had actually booked an F award ticket (I wanted to fly the transpacs in SQ F) so I didn't have problems booking in Raffles Class on the DPS segments (aside from availability issues, but it all worked out in the end). But at the time I booked, it did require an F award to sit in the front on the DPS segments; nice to hear you can now do it on a C award.
Old May 31, 2005, 2:39 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
What are some of the must do activities? We have rented a villa in Ubud so this will be our home base. I realize that the beachy areas are more touristy but I have done a lot of beach vacations in the recent past so I am looking for ideas that are special to Bali.
Borobudur
Old May 31, 2005, 2:52 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by cawhite60156
No problem. I had actually booked an F award ticket (I wanted to fly the transpacs in SQ F) so I didn't have problems booking in Raffles Class on the DPS segments (aside from availability issues, but it all worked out in the end). But at the time I booked, it did require an F award to sit in the front on the DPS segments; nice to hear you can now do it on a C award.
We will have to see if QC comes back and yanks me back to Y again on the SIN-DPS segments. I just rebooked this morning. I am on a C class 90K award.
Old May 31, 2005, 8:00 pm

We will have to see if QC comes back and yanks me back to Y again on the SIN-DPS segments. I just rebooked this morning. I am on a C class 90K award.
I'm sorry for sounding dumb,but I was'nt able to find the airline "QC", and was wondering which one it is.
Old May 31, 2005, 8:07 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by KonaHi
I'm sorry for sounding dumb,but I was'nt able to find the airline "QC", and was wondering which one it is.
QC is short hand for Quality Control department
Old May 31, 2005, 8:19 pm

QC is short hand for Quality Control department
Thanks much!!! I just learned something new!!!
Old May 31, 2005, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Bali is quite a lot of fun, on a budget or not. For those cheap travellers, you can walk out the door of the Intl terminal, and keep going towards your left. You can then get one of the taxi's that's dropping someone off, and save 50%. You do have to be quick, as the taxi mafia will try and disuade your driver from letting you in.

Many of the ATMs will only give you 1000-2000k rupiah. This is $105-$210 at a whack. I found the Lippobank and Citibank ATMs to give you the most money.

There are a number of years of US currency that they often won't take. I think 1996 in particular there were a lot of fake 100's out there. I know when I was in Thailand recently they wouldn't take 2001 years as well. I would try to get the new version with the large head Franklin to be safe.

There are many money changers which are fine. However, if one lists a really good rate, you will be ripped off. Shortchanged, fake bills, etc. Most of these will list 9499 or 9495 as exchange for the dollar EVERY day. They won't change. As the market fluctuates, most will change their exchange boards every day.

And remember that Indonesia has no sense of humor about drugs. You may be able to find some in Bali, but never, ever, bring any in with you.

Last edited by Jaimito Cartero; May 31, 2005 at 8:38 pm
Old Jun 1, 2005, 11:24 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Are there any Bank of America ATM's?
Old Jun 1, 2005, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by EXPLAT
Are there any Bank of America ATM's?

There is a CityBank ATM at the airport. Didn't see BoA anywhere (I don't remember seeing any of those outside N. America anyway).
Old Jun 2, 2005, 5:06 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
hi, since this the "Bali Question" forum...

anyone been there in late October?
Please comment on the weather! Is it rainy by then and super humid or still ok?
Old Jun 2, 2005, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I"ve been there in early October, and it was fine. Hot of course, but didn't seem to rain much.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 5:15 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
I was there in December, and it was super humid
Old Jun 2, 2005, 5:26 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by curl
hi, since this the "Bali Question" forum...

anyone been there in late October?
Please comment on the weather! Is it rainy by then and super humid or still ok?
October's not bad. Temps are pretty constant throughout the year in Bali; it gets more humid and rainy Oct-April. December and January get the worst of the rain, with about 15". October gets about 5" over six days. I've been for about 10 days in October and didn't see any rain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.