Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Been to Bali lately?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2003, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Been to Bali lately?

Just curious if anyone has been to Bali in the past few months. If so, what was your experience like?

Did you feel safe? Did you venture out of your hotel and into town? If so, did you notice an increase in police presence?

I'm contemplating a trip in the fall and wondering if things are returning to "normal" or if I'm better off staying in the USA and going to Hawaii! Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 12, 2003, 9:00 am
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
A non-Asian friend of mine just returned and said that it felt fine for security. He complained of getting hit up by desperate touts, especially in Ubud, which is a shame.

For calibration, he plans to take a motorcycle trip solo from Singapore to Cambodia, so what he considers secure may vary from your definition.

I'd take my family there, but would avoid the Kuta area and Nusa Dua (which I avoid anyway).
Rich
Old Jun 15, 2003, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA PLat
I just returned from Bali . I was there from 5/24 - 6/5 . It was my fourth time there , but first since bombing . Statistically there are abut as 1/2 as many international tourists as opposed to one year ago May . I felt as safe as ever there , the Balinese are a warm people ! There are definately many more police around , and Indonesians who are not from Bali must have work papers to live there . Bali is no more dangerous than any other 3rd world country , and I personally feel safer , the Balinese people believe they offended the Gods , and thats the reason the tragedy happened .The are most alert and vigulant about letting it happen again !
That being said the hotels are empty and the people are hurting for $$ , I found them no more aggressive than before , and I think many of the seedier types were shipped back to Java because of the conditions for residence by the govt !!
Old Jun 15, 2003, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA PLat
I stayed in Kuta for 1 week , and 4 days in Ubud . The touts are still of course in the Kuta area , the night life scene is less concentrated than it once was , more spread out . One drawback , since there are many more police around , I was pulled over on my bike several times , and hit up for rupiah 20,000 ( 2.40 us$). I ventured everyday around the island , and was welcomed as ever . Australians were the dominant western group before ( scars are still fresh) , now Europeans are the dominant fixture . I actually am planning to bring my 55y/o mother there in the fall for her first international trip . I would recommend traveling ASAP before the masses come back .
Old Jul 9, 2003, 2:15 am

I was in Bali at the end of May and beginning of June this year.

Stayed in the Nusa Dua area (Sheraton Laguna) and had a wonderful stay! Also aartied and shopped in the Kuta, Legion and Semanyak areas. I felt safe the entire time and taxis were readily available everywhere (actually there were too many taxis). No haggling on using the meter because a line of taxis jostled for your fare. Before, taxis wanted to charge higher prices with the meter turned off.

We also visited Tana Lot by the beach, Ubud in the mountains (and the Monkey Forest). They were great!! Relaxed, not crowded at all and amazingly, no touts. There are a few touts in the Kuta beach area, but very relaxed no pressure.

The difference now is the very sharp drop in the number of tourists and activities compared to my last visit (pre-Sari Club bomb blast) when I stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel right in the middle of Kuta! I would say that the drop is signifciantly more than 50%.

Now everything seems quiet and comparatively empty. The number of Australians is definately way way down.
The infrastructure (hotels, restaurants, bars, clubs, surf shops, etc.) has definitely geared up to cater to much larger crowds, so the contrast to the smaller numbers of visitors was stark.

Nevertheless I had a nice relaxing time with friends there.

[This message has been edited by BangkokFlyer (edited 07-09-2003).]
Old Jul 14, 2003, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your replies. We decided roll the dice and book Bali for our honeymoon in October!

Old Jul 14, 2003, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Delta Skymiles PM, AA ExPlat, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
This is my first post ever, but I want to thank you guys for all of the information. If anyone has any information on the Hard Rock Hotel in Bali, I would love to hear it. As far as safety, if there is any advice for Bali, I would love to hear that as well. I am heading there in August, from about 120 miles East of where Andy is. I am also thinking of stopping in Singapore for a couple of days on the way home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.