Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beijing to Xian Trip

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2003, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Beijing to Xian Trip

Can anyone recommend the best way to do a Beijing-Xian trip? My brother and his wife and three kids are going on a trip to Beijing in May. They want to do a sidetrip to Xian so I am trying to help them set it up. They don't want to spend a lot of money and are adventurous travelers (but do not speak Chinese).

I used to live in China but its been about ten years so trying to figure out what to recommend they do this. For example, is it worth it to take the train from Beijing to Xian? What are airfares these days?

Can anyone give me some suggestions and advice on how they can book this? I am also wondering if there is some local tourist agency that would be easy to set up tours there or if this is even necessary.

Thanks for any advice, suggestions, thoughts!
Old Mar 1, 2003, 8:57 pm

I don't have a lot to add to this, as I was on a private arranged junket, except:

I seem to recall flying China Eastern Beijing-Xian about two years ago. I think I noticed the RT ticket price was about $80. They were purchased in China and it was surely cheaper that way.

The drive from Xian airport to tourist Xian [Terracotta, etc.] was long (at least an hour). There are hotels nearer to the Terracotta than main Xian.

I know there are a ton of tourist web sites that offer to do day trips and all inclusives - google for them.
Old Mar 4, 2003, 6:04 pm

You can take the train there from Beijing without too much hassle. It will likely leave from the western station (Beijing Xi). I would probably take the overnight train (IIRC, it should take ~12hrs). There are hard sleepers (which are padded - six to a semi-enclosed compartment) and soft sleepers (often four, sometimes two to an compartment). I usually took the hard sleepers - you can meet more people that way.

There is a great Muslim quarter in Xi'an, which I enjoyed more than the Terra cotta army (although you have to see that). They sell this great powdery peanut candy (I'm not sure what its called) that you should definitely try. Its hard and soft and really great.

Like everywhere else in China, the food changes with the region. There is some great Muslim food (breads, lamb kebobs, noodles) in Xi'an that you shouldn't miss. I've spent a good deal of time in China and one of my most memorable experiences was in Xi'an, eating lamb and bread and drinking the local brew while sitting under electric lights under the (smogged out) sky. China's a great place - enjoy yourself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.