Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Considering another trip to Thailand/Vietnam

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2001, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Considering another trip to Thailand/Vietnam

I went to Thailand about 9 months ago, but am seriously considering going back again soon. The exchange rate makes Thailand an incredible value for the money.

On my last trip, I stayed in Bangkok for 3 days, and then Phuket for 4 days. On my next trip, I think I would like to go North to Chiang Mai for a while, and then fly over to Hanoi. After Hanoi, make my way down the coast to China Beach and Saigon before hitting Phu Quoc for a few days.

Does anyone have an idea of the feasibility of a trip like this? I've got a J class RT ticket to BKK, and can afford the inexpensive tickets to Chiang Mai and Hanoi. What I'm wondering about is the transportation from Hanoi to Phu Quoc and Phu Quoc back to Bangkok.

I think part of this trip should be booked once I get over there -- especially the short flights and Phu Quoc ferry. What about car&driver and/or train tickets for Vietnam? Visas?

Also, does anyone have experience in East Malaysia?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Sep 20, 2001, 11:56 am

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
I've never been to Phu Quoc, but from what I understand, it is a reasonable place, but don't go there if you are in a hurry. The trip that you outlined (Thailand/Chiang Mai, then over to northern Vietnam, working your way down the coast ultimately to Phu Quoc, and then back to Bangkok) sounds like a two-week trip to me.

Note that there are no direct flights from CNX to HAN. You will have to fly back to BKK first. Finding transportation in Vietnam is easy, and can be arranged by your hotel or local agents. You will have absolutely no problem arranging a suitable car and driver.

If you plan to stay in BKK for at least a day, you can pick up your visa at the Vietnamese embassy on Wireless Rd (Thanon Witthayu), located about a block north of the US embassy (near the large BMW dealer and Rolex center). They will give you same-day service if you pay the additional fee. Just be sure to ask them to authorize exit from Hanoi, Da Nang, and Saigon (gives you more options if for some reason you plan an earlier departure; no extra fee charged).
Old Sep 22, 2001, 2:03 am
Original Poster

I am planning on a 17 day trip, and have $2000 budgeted.

I can get the air from BOI - SEA - BKK - HAN - surface - PQC - BKK - SEA - BOI for about $600.

I know the hotels won't be a problem, even if I spurge at Furama for a couple of nights. I think I can average $40 a night for the trip, or $600 total.

Food and drinks will probably run $300 for the trip.

This leaves $500 for ground transportation and misc. expenses.

Any idea how much a car & driver might cost for a week? How about the train?

Thanks.,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.