Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any Recommendations for Bali?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2001, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Any Recommendations for Bali?

My husband and I will be going to Bali this fall and have a few free days. Anyone have any suggestions for what to do with them? TIA
Old Jul 2, 2001, 3:59 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Do you play golf...?

If so, you cannot miss playing at the Nirwana Tana Lot golf course.... it has the best view of the temple, and is a great course as well.
Old Jul 2, 2001, 4:00 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Also, where are you staying...? If you will be in one of the normal resorts, you may consider taking 2 days in an alternative lodge, like the Kampung Cafe in Ubud. Its a totally different feel.
Old Jul 2, 2001, 4:02 pm

Stay either at Sanur of Lavinea area (sp) on Norlth Bali.
Old Jul 2, 2001, 4:12 pm

Depends on what you're looking for-check out www.balitravelforum.com-it's a good one;and bring an empty bag(or buy a Bali bag there cheap)for the cheap,cheap shopping ie sarongs,board shorts,beautiful wood carvings,etc,etc.
Old Jul 2, 2001, 8:10 pm

Do the river rafting trip, I really enjoyed it and it is more of a relaxing rafting trip (very little whitewater)then some, at least when we did it. It took about 3 hours and ended at our hotel-the Amandari.

The large stone statues were a bargain in Ubud, even with shipping they were about half the cost of same in California, shipping took about 3 months, I'm sure longer if you don't live near a shipping port.
Old Jul 2, 2001, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Gaucho100K:
Also, where are you staying...? If you will be in one of the normal resorts, you may consider taking 2 days in an alternative lodge, like the Kampung Cafe in Ubud. Its a totally different feel.</font>
We're spending about two weeks in the Nusa Dua area, what I'm looking for is something different (i.e, not a touristy resort hotel :-)) for the three days we don't have commitments. I'll look into the Kampung Cafe, thanks.
Old Jul 2, 2001, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Tango:
Stay either at Sanur of Lavinea area (sp) on Norlth Bali.</font>
Thanks. Do you mean Lovina? I've been looking at places there. Do you have a specific one to recommend?
Old Jul 3, 2001, 2:46 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
I really enjoyed Ubud. We stayed at the Taman Harum guest cottages.
http://www.tamanharumcottages.com/
The staff was really friendly, and it was pretty quiet when I was there (beginning of March) You can see the monkey forest, and enjoy the incredibly inexpensive spa treatments

------------------
Have a great day!!
~~Missy~~

[This message has been edited by missydarlin (edited 07-03-2001).]
Old Jul 3, 2001, 8:47 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
You might check out my trip report, posted about 14 months ago:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum81/HTML/000823.html

I stayed in a pretty nice place just east of Lovina. Also I mention a few other places that are off the tourist track.
Old Jul 3, 2001, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Million-Miler
We were there a couple of years ago. Things are much cheaper away from the major hotels. We were able to hire a driver and guide for the day for about 20 dollars total, and this was before the big currency devaluation. This a terrific way to get around even if you do have to make the customary stop at various craft stores which contrary to many other places are fairly interesting.
Old Jul 7, 2001, 9:30 pm

I strongly recommend you staying at the le Meridian Nirwana Tanah Lot. It is a beautiful property with a lovely golf course.The staff is very helpful and kind. There are so many things to do on Bali. River rafting, mountain biking, snorkeling and swimming with dolphins are some of the activities that you can engage in. Kuta is to be known for great surfing and shopping...I am not sure about that as it looked pretty dead to me. Ubud is a nice cultural center and a good day trip. Once there be sure to pay a visit to the monkey park. Have a great time!
Old Jul 9, 2001, 9:22 am

Programs: TK Elite, LH FTL
Bali is nice, however if you have enough time I would suggest to combine Bali with a few days on one of the small islands off Lombok (the neighbouring island, some 20 minutes by air away).

Bali is rather touristy island, with Nusa Dua among the most developed parts. Bali is great to explore by car, plenty of sights etc. But - if you want something less developed, less crowded and more laid-back, you should consider splitting your time.

Last year, we spent a week on Bali and another on Gilli Air, off Lombok, an island without much in terms of roads or cars. Great swimming / snorkeling / diving, too.

Please e-mail if you need further info.
Old Jul 9, 2001, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Arnur:
Bali is nice, however if you have enough time I would suggest to combine Bali with a few days on one of the small islands off Lombok (the neighbouring island, some 20 minutes by air away).

Please e-mail if you need further info.
</font>
Thanks, Arnur, I'd really appreciate more information about Lombok and the Gilli Islands. I haven't been able to find much information about hotels in those areas. I couldn't find your email address, so am posting this in hopes you'll email me. :-). Thanks.

Old Jul 9, 2001, 3:21 pm
vc

Location: San Leandro, CA. - UA 1K, AA Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
The two Four Seasons properties in Bali are hands-down the two best resort hotels in the WORLD.

Stayed there last summer and had the best vacation of my life.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.