Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overwater Bungalows (OWB) on Langkawi, Malaysia

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2024, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Overwater Bungalows (OWB) on Langkawi, Malaysia

Has anyone stayed at an Overwater Bungalow (OWB) on Langkawi, Malaysia? What did you pay and what was the experience like? I'm considering booking a side-trip from Thailand to Langkawi, Malaysia because now that the Chase IHG card no longer offers free night certs at any property (it's point-limited), I don't think I'll ever be able to afford an OWB in Bora Bora.

I'm not much of a beach person--more into hiking--but it would be amazing to be able to dip in the water directly from a bungalow. Is that possible on Langkawi? Recently learned here on FlyerTalk that there are no over-the-ocean bungalows in Thailand by order of law, and so Langkawi may be my only option to experience an OWB.

I'm not sure what my budget actually is. I know I don't want to pay USD $500/nt. Or even USD $400/nt really. Getting close to $400/nt, I could probably only do 2 days and even that's a budget buster. Anything good around USD $200 to $300/nt or less?

Last edited by moretimeoffguy; Mar 28, 2024 at 10:07 am
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:18 am
Original Poster

I’d also be interested in OWBs south of KL if they’re affordable, spectacular, and easy to get to from the KL airport.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 1:07 pm

Programs: Free agent!
I don't have any personal first hand knowledge of these but a cursory search on the internet got me to this article:

https://www.jonesaroundtheworld.com/...lows-malaysia/

All the ones listed at Port Dickson (south of KL, FWIW) don't really scream Maldives-esque to me while the ones in Borneo look a bit better.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 11:17 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
There is a hotel called Berjaya in Langkawi that has those overwater bungalows. Looks like a 4* hotel. Have not stayed there so cannot comment. But I have been in other Langkawi hotels and the island and water is overall great. Hope this helps
Old Mar 29, 2024, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JFSV
There is a hotel called Berjaya in Langkawi that has those overwater bungalows. Looks like a 4* hotel. Have not stayed there so cannot comment. But I have been in other Langkawi hotels and the island and water is overall great. Hope this helps
Thanks, this definitely helps. Berjaya looks really nice!

Hoping it’s easy to get from Langkawi to Singapore because I just got invited to visit my old next door neighbor who now lives in Singapore.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
I’d also be interested in OWBs south of KL if they’re affordable, spectacular, and easy to get to from the KL airport.
Lexis Hibiscus or other Lexis hotels have pretty nice OWB near KL. I've never stayed there myself, but planned to at some point in the future.
moretimeoffguy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.