Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Where to eat and charge electronics at KUL from midnight to 5 AM?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2023, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

Let's say you're stuck landside from midnight to 5 AM. Where would you go and eat? Where are the best places to go and charge phones? Are they all UK-style sockets? I'm assuming I'll need a travel adapter?
Old Dec 24, 2023, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by lsquare
Let's say you're stuck landside from midnight to 5 AM. Where would you go and eat? Where are the best places to go and charge phones? Are they all UK-style sockets? I'm assuming I'll need a travel adapter?
Malaysia and Singapore uses the UK-style sockets. No adapter needed for Malaysia/Singapore. Thailand on the other hand uses the US/China 2 flat pin sockets. If you are stuck landside, just find any outlets and you should be able to charge your electronics.

There are a lot of 24 hours restaurants/mamak around central KL. Some are closed between 3-5AM for cleaning (which isn't a bad thing). Just use google maps and select "open now" whenever you are in the city.

If you are talking of landside KUL airport, then I have no clue. There should be a food court at T1 near the parking garage - I don't know if they are open 24/7. And also a mall at T2 (but I don't know if some of the restaurants there are open 24/7 either),
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nov11
Malaysia and Singapore uses the UK-style sockets. No adapter needed for Malaysia/Singapore. Thailand on the other hand uses the US/China 2 flat pin sockets. If you are stuck landside, just find any outlets and you should be able to charge your electronics.

There are a lot of 24 hours restaurants/mamak around central KL. Some are closed between 3-5AM for cleaning (which isn't a bad thing). Just use google maps and select "open now" whenever you are in the city.

If you are talking of landside KUL airport, then I have no clue. There should be a food court at T1 near the parking garage - I don't know if they are open 24/7. And also a mall at T2 (but I don't know if some of the restaurants there are open 24/7 either),
China seems to be using multiple kind of sockets. Just wanna make sure and it doesn't hurt to ask a local like you. I'm aware that some restaurants close late in Chinatown. I'm not against staying there until MRT starts, but I also need access to a washroom and a place to charge my phone.

I meant KUL landside.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by nov11
If you're thinking of the T1 Food Garden, iirc that closes overnight.

KLIA2 has always been the more 'lively' terminal landside and indeed it seems the "Food Arcade" (basically mall food court) is open 24/7 as is the KFC, among other eateries (https://www.klia2.info/klia2/shops/f...verages-shops/; cross-check vs Google as who knows how often that website is updated).

Also, the Plaza Premium Lounge at KLIA2 is landside and opens at 4am, so if OP brings a charged phone to the airport (and has a departing boarding pass) they should be able to survive the four hours between midnight-4am without outlets. I actually quite like PPL laksa (and always have a bowl when flying through KUL/SIN) although I am sure this is blasphemy to native born straits chinese.

That said, the trek from T1 -> T2 is really annoying so it may be worth just hanging out at the T1 coffee bean & tea leaf.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by Agneisse
If you're thinking of the T1 Food Garden, iirc that closes overnight.
There is Food Garden but there are also 2 "mamak" at T1 car park. I googled it and it's called "Ali Maju Cafe" on Level 3, Block A of car park and "Hameed Dalca Curryhouse" on Level G, Block C car park. The Hameed Dalca is located at the bus terminal (I assume it's not in use). Both are open 24/7 (according to Google) and I think it mainly caters to staff at T1 who doesn't want to schlep all the way to T2. I haven't been in either so I can't comment on the food etc.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I've never found myself in that situation and hope i never will. But the airport food court would be the obvious place to try. There'll be airport-based workers around as well as passengers: and conscious Malaysians never seem to far from a source of food: one of the joys of travelling in Malaysia.

One of the many other joys is that the default power point matches my clunky UK plugs. That might not be good news for you though.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I've never found myself in that situation and hope i never will. But the airport food court would be the obvious place to try. There'll be airport-based workers around as well as passengers: and conscious Malaysians never seem to far from a source of food: one of the joys of travelling in Malaysia.

One of the many other joys is that the default power point matches my clunky UK plugs. That might not be good news for you though.
It doesn't hurt to ask, right? I'm doing trip planning for 2024 at the moment. I got TONs of questions to ask. Some of the smartest people are on FT. I might end up in this situation if only because the ticket that I want fits my price point and schedule.

Thanks for the help!
Old Dec 25, 2023, 7:17 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by Agneisse

Also, the Plaza Premium Lounge at KLIA2 is landside and opens at 4am, so if OP brings a charged phone to the airport (and has a departing boarding pass) they should be able to survive the four hours between midnight-4am without outlets. I actually quite like PPL laksa (and always have a bowl when flying through KUL/SIN) although I am sure this is blasphemy to native born straits chinese.

That said, the trek from T1 -> T2 is really annoying so it may be worth just hanging out at the T1 coffee bean & tea leaf.
T2 also has the SkySuite lounge landside, it's amazing and open 24/7. The buses between the terminals run every 10 minutes.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
T2 also has the SkySuite lounge landside, it's amazing and open 24/7. The buses between the terminals run every 10 minutes.
Are the buses landside or airside?
Old Dec 25, 2023, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA
Are the buses landside or airside?
Landside.
KLIA1 and KLIA2 should be thought of as 2 separate airports next to each other. You need to go through immigration and customs on each airport if you're doing international transfer between KLIA1 and KLIA2.
lsquare and wandering_fred like this.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 5:00 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
There used to be a transit bus airside as well and there are still counters in both terminals with signs "Bus to T1/T2", but I am not sure it still works now.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
There used to be a transit bus airside as well and there are still counters in both terminals with signs "Bus to T1/T2", but I am not sure it still works now.
When did that stop? COVID?
Old Dec 26, 2023, 3:17 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by a5un
Landside.
KLIA1 and KLIA2 should be thought of as 2 separate airports next to each other. You need to go through immigration and customs on each airport if you're doing international transfer between KLIA1 and KLIA2.
Though from KLIA2 to KLIA1 there used to be a change of bus in one of the parking lots in between
T1->T2 was direct
Though never more than a few minute interruption of your (free) wandering
Fred
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 10:55 pm

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
When did that stop? COVID?
Was it ever actually operating apart from some trial period?
Old Dec 27, 2023, 7:19 pm

Programs: BAEC GFL (Only took 30 years)
I suggest you book mark this site:

https://www.worldstandards.eu/electr...s-and-sockets/

Then you wont't have to wait for an answer here.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.