Search

4-6 weeks in Asia as a family

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2023, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott
4-6 weeks in Asia as a family

Hey all,

I am in the beginning stages of planning a 4-6week Asia trip starting January/February.. We finally have some time off from work, and looking to spend it in SE Asia with my wife (prego, but early), and 6/2 year old kids (well traveled). I would love recommendations, must see/overrated places, and just overall itinerary. We loved Kyoto/Seoul > Tokyo, we loved Queenstown, we like big cities and amenities, but also really like the beautiful relaxing places and just beaches/resorts we can relax for a few days with kids. I know its a lot ot plan, but would love any and all help! We did 6 weeks in europe while she was prego with the 2 year old and it was amazing.

1- Philippines (trying to decide between Cebu and Manila, then going to Coron, Boracay, or El Nido (pick 2?)
2- Vietnam - fly to Da Nang, then Hanoi
3- Thailand - fly to Chiang Mai, then Bangkok, and Phuket/PhiPhi (any place to skip or go instead?).
4- Malaysia, we heard great things about Langkawi for few days in a resort, any other place youd recomend? Is Kuala Lumpur a must?
5- 2 days in Singapore
6- Bali,and then home.

Alternative for flight benefit is starting in Da Nang, and ending in Philippines.
john_ny likes this.

Last edited by TravelDoorsOut; Oct 28, 2023 at 2:34 pm
Old Oct 29, 2023, 2:43 am

South of Vietnam has better weather than North of VN at that time so you can consider doing Danang and then Saigon.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 4:02 pm

As for starting in the Philippines, I can say that Manila is not really a family-friendly city to go to. I haven't visited any other city in the Philippines, but I would say it's among the lowest rated cities I have been to all over Asia. My advice would be to start your trip at one of the beach cities in the Philippines that do cater to tourism/families.
moondog likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AUCLABruin
As for starting in the Philippines, I can say that Manila is not really a family-friendly city to go to. I haven't visited any other city in the Philippines, but I would say it's among the lowest rated cities I have been to all over Asia. My advice would be to start your trip at one of the beach cities in the Philippines that do cater to tourism/families.
Was thinking Cebu and going to 2 islands (any recs which ones?) and then Da Nang?
Old Oct 30, 2023, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by TravelDoorsOut
Was thinking Cebu and going to 2 islands (any recs which ones?) and then Da Nang?
I haven't been to other places in the Philippines so unfortunately I can't directly recommend any. Da Nang will be a great spot to visit!
Old Oct 30, 2023, 8:51 pm

It is ok for a visit to Danang but not good beach time.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 1:27 am

Boracay’s white shores and beach town vibes are worth it. We were at the Crimson resort a few years ago for a lovely sunset party on the sand. Its beaches are secluded from the strip night life, but there’s lots of family fun to be had, including private island-hopping and the usual water sports.

People who have been to El Nido tell me to go. Also, my wife’s niece and her husband used to fly into Coron or Bohol from San Francisco via Manila and go on dives where they would find whales and all manner of life at sea and onshore. The archipelago’s littorals and jungles are biodiversity ground zero, apparently.

I have only been to Hanoi in Vietnam. I liked walking the old quarter with its cheap but good street food and fashion knock-offs.
TravelDoorsOut likes this.

Last edited by FlitBen; Oct 31, 2023 at 9:12 am
Old Nov 1, 2023, 4:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AUCLABruin
+1 on skipping over Manila. In fact, if I were the OP, I'd be looking for flights from other countries directly to Cebu.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Do you guys think its worth going to Borocay and El Nido or just pick one?
Old Nov 3, 2023, 6:57 am

Do you guys think its worth going to Borocay and El Nido or just pick one?
Pick one, for now. The other will be the draw for your next trip under morning sun.
TravelDoorsOut likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 6:36 pm

Wow, that sounds like an amazing trip! You have chosen some of the most beautiful and diverse destinations in Asia. I’m sure you and your family will have a wonderful time. 😊

Here are some of my suggestions based on your itinerary:
Philippines: I would recommend Cebu over Manila, as it has more natural attractions and cultural heritage. You can visit the Chocolate Hills, swim with whale sharks, or explore the colonial history of the city. For the islands, I think Boracay and El Nido are both stunning, but if you want to avoid the crowds, you might prefer Coron, which has some of the best diving and snorkeling spots in the country.

Vietnam: Da Nang and Hanoi are both great choices, but you might also want to add Hue or Hoi An to your list. Hue is the former imperial capital of Vietnam, and it has some of the most impressive monuments and temples. Hoi An is a charming town with a well-preserved old quarter, famous for its lanterns and tailor shops.

Thailand: Chiang Mai, Bangkok, and Phuket are all popular destinations, but they can also be very busy and touristy. If you are looking for a more authentic and relaxing experience, you might want to check out Chiang Rai, Ayutthaya, or Krabi. Chiang Rai is the northernmost province of Thailand, and it has some of the most stunning landscapes and cultural attractions, such as the White Temple and the Golden Triangle. Ayutthaya is the ancient capital of Thailand, and it has some of the most impressive ruins and temples. Krabi is a coastal province with some of the most beautiful beaches and islands, such as Railay and Koh Lanta.

Malaysia: Langkawi is a great place to relax and enjoy the nature, but you might also want to visit Penang, which is a cultural and culinary hub of Malaysia. You can explore the street art, the heritage buildings, and the diverse cuisine of the island. Kuala Lumpur is not a must, but it is worth a visit if you like big cities and modern architecture. You can see the Petronas Twin Towers, the Batu Caves, and the KL Tower.
Singapore: Two days is enough to see the main attractions of Singapore, such as the Marina Bay Sands, the Gardens by the Bay, and the Sentosa Island. You can also visit the Singapore Zoo, the Botanic Gardens, and the Chinatown. Singapore is a very clean and efficient city, but it can also be very expensive and crowded.

Bali: Bali is a paradise for travelers, as it has something for everyone. You can enjoy the beaches, the temples, the rice terraces, and the volcanoes. You can also experience the rich culture and spirituality of the island, as well as the nightlife and the shopping. Bali is a very popular destination, so you might want to avoid the peak season and the main tourist areas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.