China Airlines to Taiwan (meal options)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China Airlines to Taiwan (meal options)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2023, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Arrow China Airlines to Taiwan (meal options)

I asked a couple of different AI's and I received conflicting advice.

When it comes to meals on China Airlines, say Vancouver to Taipei, is there a difference between the meal (options) between Economy and Premium Economy class?

Additionally, are the "special meals" the same for both classes and is it possible to have a "custom" meal if you have allergies?
Old Oct 19, 2023, 9:15 pm

I believe the PE meal has a better starter than the regular economy meal. The entrée seems to be the same. Probably same goes for special meals. I doubt you can do custom special meal as that would be very hard to prepare.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your input. I was thinking the same. However, all the AI responses recommended contacting the airline for special dietary needs or allergies and the term "custom meal" was mentioned in the AIs; however, I searched extensively on China Airlines website but couldn't locate the relevant information.

On a related note, I have a memory of a flight (I don't fly frequently) in EVA Premium Economy to Taiwan. I requested some spirits from the menu, but the response was consistently "not available now" in a strong Chinese accent. It didn't matter which spirit I asked for, even beer was included. The attendant, who seemed to have an attitude and with the context of COVID hitting Asia, only offered wine. I'm certain she was a junior flight attendant, but I couldn't fathom what her difficulty was. My travel companion assured me that she was simply being difficult.

Since I don't have much experience with international flights, I wasn't sure how to voice my concerns during the flight or who to approach. In fact, after that experience, I made up my mind not to fly to Asia again. I've heard that flights to the EU are generally better, at least 20 years ago, especially when flying with non-North American-based airlines like Lufthansa or KLM.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by blondee_yvr
On a related note, I have a memory of a flight (I don't fly frequently) in EVA Premium Economy to Taiwan. I requested some spirits from the menu, but the response was consistently "not available now" in a strong Chinese accent. It didn't matter which spirit I asked for, even beer was included. The attendant, who seemed to have an attitude and with the context of COVID hitting Asia, only offered wine. I'm certain she was a junior flight attendant, but I couldn't fathom what her difficulty was. My travel companion assured me that she was simply being difficult.
Nah, I've had similar service issues on EVA with FAs being difficult (my favorite was them being difficult about my aunt needing to take my grandmother to the accessible toilet but the FAs not being supposed to let them because "the accessible lavatory is in the business class cabin"). It's not just you but it's also not all Asian airlines.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Not surpised

Originally Posted by lolstebbo
Nah, I've had similar service issues on EVA with FAs being difficult (my favorite was them being difficult about my aunt needing to take my grandmother to the accessible toilet but the FAs not being supposed to let them because "the accessible lavatory is in the business class cabin"). It's not just you but it's also not all Asian airlines.
I haven't flown for a long time even before covid, I know things have changed.

Speaking of the lavatory, I saw a woman repeatedly using the washroom in premium economy and she was in economy. This was also from YVR to TPE on EVA

Out out curiosity, what's the actual name of the name of the flight attendant's supervisor? Is it "purser" or something else?
Old Oct 24, 2023, 9:20 pm

Yes, the lead flight attendant is called the purser. I am surprised to hear about y'all bad experience. My experience with EVA and China Airlines were always positive. The crew on my flights go out of their way to make us all comfortable. I've flown 6 flights this year on CI/BR and they all have been wonderful.

As for the restroom situation, I do believe the flight attendant will direct economy cabin passengers to premium economy restroom if there is a long line. The prem econ restroom and the economy restroom is usually next to each other only separated by a curtain.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeltaOneFlyer
Yes, the lead flight attendant is called the purser. I am surprised to hear about y'all bad experience. My experience with EVA and China Airlines were always positive. The crew on my flights go out of their way to make us all comfortable. I've flown 6 flights this year on CI/BR and they all have been wonderful.

As for the restroom situation, I do believe the flight attendant will direct economy cabin passengers to premium economy restroom if there is a long line. The prem econ restroom and the economy restroom is usually next to each other only separated by a curtain.
China Airlines says if we have any issues, to contact the "Cabin Chief".

What class have you flown? Whether it's Premium Economy or Economy, the only time we see the FA is during meal service and the preparations (before and after). Outside of these moments, they often become less visible, frequently congregating at the back of the plane or taking breaks in the crew's rest area.

On one occasion, I stumbled upon a substantial platter of sandwiches in the galley while stretching my legs. When I inquired about it, they offered me a sandwich. They didn't proactively circulate snacks as I had anticipated; it seems they're only provided upon request or if you happen to know to ask for them.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 4:40 pm

China Airlines says if we have any issues, to contact the "Cabin Chief".

What class have you flown? Whether it's Premium Economy or Economy, the only time we see the FA is during meal service and the preparations (before and after). Outside of these moments, they often become less visible, frequently congregating at the back of the plane or taking breaks in the crew's rest area.

On one occasion, I stumbled upon a substantial platter of sandwiches in the galley while stretching my legs. When I inquired about it, they offered me a sandwich. They didn't proactively circulate snacks as I had anticipated; it seems they're only provided upon request or if you happen to know to ask for them.

I flew in economy. The "cabin chief" term is probably because they are familiar with the chinese term and literally translate it to English, purser is the proper word in English.

They are not visible outside of the moments that you mentioned because they want to go out of your way during the flight. There is no reason for them to be loitering in the aisle during the flight blocking movement of passage. They are in the back of the plane because that is where the flight service items are, and also to be able to respond to pax need better in case anyone ring the flight attendant call button.

The platter of sandwiches is probably left over mid-flight snack. Did you happen to sleep during the flight? if so, you may have missed when they were going about the cabin offering the sandwich. They will not wake up people just to give them a sandwich. And yes they do not circulate snacks proactively as the majority of flight is through the night, so most people are sleeping.
YariGuy likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation

Originally Posted by DeltaOneFlyer
I flew in economy. The "cabin chief" term is probably because they are familiar with the chinese term and literally translate it to English, purser is the proper word in English.

They are not visible outside of the moments that you mentioned because they want to go out of your way during the flight. There is no reason for them to be loitering in the aisle during the flight blocking movement of passage. They are in the back of the plane because that is where the flight service items are, and also to be able to respond to pax need better in case anyone ring the flight attendant call button.

The platter of sandwiches is probably left over mid-flight snack. Did you happen to sleep during the flight? if so, you may have missed when they were going about the cabin offering the sandwich. They will not wake up people just to give them a sandwich. And yes they do not circulate snacks proactively as the majority of flight is through the night, so most people are sleeping.
Thanks for your insights.

I can't sleep on planes no matter how tired I am, and I've never had a good or positive experience flying China or EVA airlines. I've flown with them six times roundtrip from YVR to TPE.

I believe the incident with the sandwiches happened on the same flight where the flight attendant didn't bother to come around and take drink orders from the menu, though I asked for a drink two or three times but never got one even during meal service. This was in Premium Economy.

During a trip, my spouse and flew EVA Premium Economy, and our plane was a Boeing 747. We were seated in the last row at the back of the aircraft. I had read some online reports about flights getting uncomfortably warm, and unfortunately, our flight validated those concerns by becoming unbearably hot.I packed a digital thermometer in my carryon.

To gauge just how hot it was, I pulled out my digital thermometer from my carry-on and placed it on my tray table for about 20 minutes. The thermometer registered 86°F, but it was clear that the actual cabin temperature was closer to 88-90°F, as my thermometer reads conservatively. I showed this to the flight attendant, who seemed baffled but didn't take any action. I walked around the plane to cool off and the back section was consistently hot.

I politely notified the FLA once more, but there was no improvement. My spouse, who is fluent in Mandarin, tried speaking to the flight attendant in hopes of a different outcome, but unfortunately, that didn't change anything. The in-flight meal didn't help matters either; it was lackluster and barely warm, especially the breakfast, which appeared to be reheated leftovers.

To top it all off, after landing in Taipei, my health immediately took a turn for the worse. I suffered from vomiting and diarrhea for three consecutive days, which made for a very bad start.

On the other hand, I've flown many times to Europe, Mexico, and the continental United States since the turn of the "century", and I've never had a bad experience, even on Charter airlines. The flight attendants were attentive and willing to help, even when they were clearly rushed or stressed.

If the snacks aren't served proactively? How is one supposed to know they have snacks?

Last edited by blondee_yvr; Oct 25, 2023 at 6:48 pm
Old Oct 27, 2023, 6:56 pm

Thanks for your insights.

I can't sleep on planes no matter how tired I am, and I've never had a good or positive experience flying China or EVA airlines. I've flown with them six times roundtrip from YVR to TPE.

I believe the incident with the sandwiches happened on the same flight where the flight attendant didn't bother to come around and take drink orders from the menu, though I asked for a drink two or three times but never got one even during meal service. This was in Premium Economy.

During a trip, my spouse and flew EVA Premium Economy, and our plane was a Boeing 747. We were seated in the last row at the back of the aircraft. I had read some online reports about flights getting uncomfortably warm, and unfortunately, our flight validated those concerns by becoming unbearably hot.I packed a digital thermometer in my carryon.

To gauge just how hot it was, I pulled out my digital thermometer from my carry-on and placed it on my tray table for about 20 minutes. The thermometer registered 86°F, but it was clear that the actual cabin temperature was closer to 88-90°F, as my thermometer reads conservatively. I showed this to the flight attendant, who seemed baffled but didn't take any action. I walked around the plane to cool off and the back section was consistently hot.

I politely notified the FLA once more, but there was no improvement. My spouse, who is fluent in Mandarin, tried speaking to the flight attendant in hopes of a different outcome, but unfortunately, that didn't change anything. The in-flight meal didn't help matters either; it was lackluster and barely warm, especially the breakfast, which appeared to be reheated leftovers.

To top it all off, after landing in Taipei, my health immediately took a turn for the worse. I suffered from vomiting and diarrhea for three consecutive days, which made for a very bad start.

On the other hand, I've flown many times to Europe, Mexico, and the continental United States since the turn of the "century", and I've never had a bad experience, even on Charter airlines. The flight attendants were attentive and willing to help, even when they were clearly rushed or stressed.

If the snacks aren't served proactively? How is one supposed to know they have snacks?
Sorry to hear about that experience. I can only recount from my experience and I've always got good service with them. You mentioned a flight on the 747, so I'm assuming that was some time ago as both Eva and CI have retired them for at least some years. I'd encourage you to try them again and hopefully you have a better experience.

The warm cabin is indeed a complaint that I've read often, and did experience a couple times. I'm OK with it myself as I dont feel it's overly warm.

They do proactively offer snacks, I believe it is right before meal service with a drink. For economy it is a pack of mixed asian rice crackers (CI's terrible, BR's is much better) Whatever extra they place it in the back galley for people to self serve during flight. Sometimes when you ask them for a drink, they'll also proactively give you one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.