VietNam entry scam

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VietNam entry scam

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2023, 11:58 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Just got in and out HAN without any issue. No questions asked even on how manny days or where are you are going to stay.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Your bad. The visa agencies are all very specific about checking your passport number carefully. BTW - the going rate is $20 which will get you into the country even with NO visa as long as you offer compensate the guy at the booth for his trouble. Once it gets escalated to the visa issuance window, the price goes up.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 11:43 am

Programs: Costco Gold Star, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
While I did not get scammed per se, I can report with the following:

I flew EWR-HND-SGN last month on a trip I booked way in advance. I knew that as Finnish passport holder I can enter Vietnam 15 days visa free. Then, a few weeks before departure I thought better to apply for the eVisa as EWR agents usually make up their own rules. Nothing was asked for at EWR, agent who had to approve the kiosk check in (sad that this is the process in the Polaris check in area) wasn't even reading the travel requirements screen. HND didn't care either.

When I landed at SGN and went thru there was a Norwegian (also visa free) guy in front of me, he was asked for an eVisa. Agent was adamant that a visa was required, while the guy tried to convince her that he is correct. This argument continued for about 10 minutes before the agent finally relented and stamped him in.

Surprise surprise I was also asked for the eVisa, I gladly presented a printout and was thru in no time so my $25 wasn't totally wasted. No issues at exit immigration.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
While I did not get scammed per se, I can report with the following:

I flew EWR-HND-SGN last month on a trip I booked way in advance. I knew that as Finnish passport holder I can enter Vietnam 15 days visa free. Then, a few weeks before departure I thought better to apply for the eVisa as EWR agents usually make up their own rules. Nothing was asked for at EWR, agent who had to approve the kiosk check in (sad that this is the process in the Polaris check in area) wasn't even reading the travel requirements screen. HND didn't care either.

When I landed at SGN and went thru there was a Norwegian (also visa free) guy in front of me, he was asked for an eVisa. Agent was adamant that a visa was required, while the guy tried to convince her that he is correct. This argument continued for about 10 minutes before the agent finally relented and stamped him in.

Surprise surprise I was also asked for the eVisa, I gladly presented a printout and was thru in no time so my $25 wasn't totally wasted. No issues at exit immigration.
I was in HAN about 10 days ago and of course needed an e visa. The agent did not even ask for the printout. Just scanned my passport and stamped it. I do not think it was a scam situation with the agents because an e visa would also give them nothing.
miamiflyer8 likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 2:26 pm

Programs: Costco Gold Star, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Davvidd
I was in HAN about 10 days ago and of course needed an e visa. The agent did not even ask for the printout. Just scanned my passport and stamped it. I do not think it was a scam situation with the agents because an e visa would also give them nothing.
As it took a while for the guy in front of me to be processed it could be that the agent would’ve tried to pull the “emergency visa” scam if the Norwegian was completely clueless and didn’t stand his ground.

One would think that an eVisa would be viewable on their computer by scanning the passport, similar to the US and ESTA. Meanwhile agent looked at my passport and compared it to the printout while using a pen to mark each detail.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
As it took a while for the guy in front of me to be processed it could be that the agent would’ve tried to pull the “emergency visa” scam if the Norwegian was completely clueless and didn’t stand his ground.

One would think that an eVisa would be viewable on their computer by scanning the passport, similar to the US and ESTA. Meanwhile agent looked at my passport and compared it to the printout while using a pen to mark each detail.
Could be that. It happened to me once in BKK a while back when I had to apply for a visa on arrival. It was called fast track and you had to pay a certain amount officially at the counter and you get it immediately. This guy who was conducting the queue send me to the immigration officer and told him the amount for me to pay in Thai. I can understand a bit and knew the amount was more than what was official. The immigration officer told me the official amount and the other guy told him the higher amount. The Officer looked surprised but I paid the higher amount ( I think it was an extra 200 baht, 6 USD) just to get out of the queue.
So it very well could be an attempt to get something out of it. But the Vietnamese authorities are fairly strict with lowly officials.
miamiflyer8 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 9:04 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by Davvidd
Could be that. It happened to me once in BKK a while back when I had to apply for a visa on arrival. It was called fast track and you had to pay a certain amount officially at the counter and you get it immediately. This guy who was conducting the queue send me to the immigration officer and told him the amount for me to pay in Thai. I can understand a bit and knew the amount was more than what was official. The immigration officer told me the official amount and the other guy told him the higher amount. The Officer looked surprised but I paid the higher amount ( I think it was an extra 200 baht, 6 USD) just to get out of the queue.
So it very well could be an attempt to get something out of it. But the Vietnamese authorities are fairly strict with lowly officials.
What nationality are you holding to have to get a Visa on Arrival? Or do you mean a visa exempt entry?
No Fast Track for Visa On Arrival
Old Jul 26, 2023, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by seavisionburma
What nationality are you holding to have to get a Visa on Arrival? Or do you mean a visa exempt entry?
No Fast Track for Visa On Arrival
Sorry this was a few years back and this was a visa on arrival. I had to apply then for a visa after I arrive to Thailand or get a visa at a Thai Embassy. Now it is visa exempt entry. Yes there was no issues in getting a visa apart from the extra payment. Yes they had a fast track those days to apply for a visa after you land. It was there for a short time and then they got rid of it.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 12:40 am

It's pretty common for mistakes on the visa you get. The government workers are sloppy. You need to double check the visa you get back and if there is any error, get it fixed.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by refurb
It's pretty common for mistakes on the visa you get. The government workers are sloppy. You need to double check the visa you get back and if there is any error, get it fixed.
Agree with you but I think with the Vietnam visa is not manual so it is what the applicant enter on the online application.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by yandorio
Fireman, I did see a discrepancy (inserted 1) between what was written and my actual passport number but it's anyone's guess as to whether
I made the original mistake. You'd think today's software would catch something like that, and you assume everything is kosher after they approve the evisa.
I'm not so opposed to a 10 or 20 dollar fine, but "Emergency" suggests some kind of extreme event like boiling water falling in someone's lap
or heart attack. $170 seems like a lot of money for a simple clerical error in a country where a 3 or 4 star hotel would cost about $12, and the
fact that they would not accept a credit card or give a receipt suggests they were trying to avoid a paper trail of the event...
Anyway, time to move on to Nha Trang. If I had to do it over I would have stood in line again rather than walk over to the special services line.
What are the chances the second clerk would even notice the error?
Where is this 3 or 4 * hotel for $12? I went to Vietnam a few years back, but saw nothing that low, especially in the city ( my case Ho Chi Minh).
Old Aug 31, 2023, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by kasmersensei
Where is this 3 or 4 * hotel for $12? I went to Vietnam a few years back, but saw nothing that low, especially in the city ( my case Ho Chi Minh).
I was in HAN and would love to know where I can get a 4 star hotel for 12 dollars. Let alone 12 dollars I do not mind even paying 25 dollars for a 4 star hotel in HAN.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 1:47 am

Yes this is a big visa scam

Originally Posted by Firemansam
Do you not have a copy of your evisa to compare with your passport??
Was this customs or immigration?
​​​​​​Unfortunately in VN there is the odd soul who likes to supplement their income, whether this was the case or not I am unsure, but I definitely would have stood my ground more and asked for a supervisor and evidence of the extra number.
we got scammed too, they ‘claim’ we didn’t put our daughters middle name in but we did. They send back your visa knowingly you will get rejected at the passport control. They threaten my 2 daughters deportation if I did not pay cash of $600 Australian with no receipt, no paper work.
while there for hours we see at least another 20-35 people mainly Australians and Kiwis with the same issue, a missing name, a letter missing or a digit . . a complete scam. A Australia couple we spoke to had to pay $1000 cash, a NZ guy paid $200 cash, everyone’s different amounts we noticed. Full on scam getting into Vietnam !
Old Feb 18, 2024, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by MrAllan
we got scammed too, they ‘claim’ we didn’t put our daughters middle name in but we did. They send back your visa knowingly you will get rejected at the passport control. They threaten my 2 daughters deportation if I did not pay cash of $600 Australian with no receipt, no paper work.
while there for hours we see at least another 20-35 people mainly Australians and Kiwis with the same issue, a missing name, a letter missing or a digit . . a complete scam. A Australia couple we spoke to had to pay $1000 cash, a NZ guy paid $200 cash, everyone’s different amounts we noticed. Full on scam getting into Vietnam !
Actually when you apply on line you get a preview of what you are submitting. Then you OK it and submit it. You also receive a copy of your e visa before you travel. I always take a picture of what I submit for e visa so I can show proof too.
So why should you get rejected at the passport control when you already have your e visa without the middle name? Should you not have corrected it as soon as you receive it?
I have gone to Vietnam many times and never had I this problem on names or anything. I am not saying that there are people demanding money at the airport but millions of people go to Vietnam and the staff in the immigration and the staff at the HQ to be in cahoots is impossible.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 4:45 pm

Agreed, the thought that this is some huge concocted scam is just plain nonsensical. On my last flight into SGN at boarding there were 2 people with evisas that had incorrect information on them that was put in by them and they were being boarded with the idea that they would need to rectify it in SGN.

Are officers in SGN taking advantage of people mistakes in their visas? Absolutely?
is it wrong? Absolutely.
Is it hurting their tourism? Without a doubt.
But it all comes back to people being completely thorough with their visas before coming to avoid this happening.
The amounts of money you say they are asking for is insane, sometimes it takes some very heated bargaining to get them to a fraction of what they're asking for, but unfortunately they know people will pay.
This is the one thing I despise the most about my wife's home country.

Last edited by Firemansam; Feb 20, 2024 at 2:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.