Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

TSA Songshang transfer time - same plane.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2020, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

From Japan on ANA, 1 hour between arrival and departure at TSA. Due to airline pricing and covid, it is imperative to get back on the same plane. Anyone have any setbacks getting back on the same international plane? Have to go through customs? Covid check?

It appears that international flights use the same gate on the 2nd floor for both arrivals and departures, and when arriving you go to a common area within security, so it is just a case of getting off and back on given a boarding pass already in hand? Easy question for someone who has flown there internationally.

https://www.taipei-songshan-airport.com/terminal-1.php

Last edited by GeraldHouse; Sep 8, 2020 at 4:30 pm Reason: Include Taipei Songshan airport terminal 1 map
Old Sep 9, 2020, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I have no experience with transit at TSA or even if it was generally possible pre-pandemic.

If this is supposed to be a quick turn, given the current restrictions and special handling on transit by MOTC at TPE (which I assume would also apply at TSA if it is even possible), this seems absurdly risky. I'd definitely confirm directly with the operating carrier as they may not consider this a transit.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 6:10 pm

So you want to do HND-TSA-HND flying back on the same plane? Why would you want to do that? Mileage run?

Anyway, I don't think this plan is going to work, especially now.

First of all, it's not exactly easy getting admitted into Taiwan these days, and whoever can get in is expected to quarantine, which should be pre-arranged. Anybody else just won't be allowed to board at HND and I'm afraid that might include you. (As far as I recall, the transfer exemption is for BR/CI/CX at TPE only, so it wouldn't apply to this itinerary.)

At some airports around the world, arriving passengers are indeed released directly into the departures area. I've never transferred at TSA but I don't think that's the case here. It doesn't look like there's a transfers desk or even a shortcut back to departures for passengers who already have a boarding pass according to the airport map (by the way, the link you posted is just some third-party website, https://www.tsa.gov.tw/ is the official one, and you can get the whole map of the airport there as a 20 MB PDF). Transferring at TSA is quite a rare experience: even leaving all the virus restrictions aside, I think you'd have to walk out with arriving passengers and then walk back in (if you had a boarding pass beforehand, otherwise also check-in again). So yeah, that'd mean going through immigration back and forth.

Without the virus it could be doable if you managed to check in beforehand for the 2nd flight but it's far from guaranteed: unless you're a Japanese national, you might be flagged for document check, even more so since you have no proof of onward travel. In general, all this doesn't strike me as a sound plan: in normal times, you'd likely be stranded at TSA; in the current situation, you'll likely be denied boarding at HND.

If you need miles, perhaps a domestic flight within Japan would work for you instead? Such as Ishigaki (ISG)?
Old Sep 11, 2020, 8:35 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by GeraldHouse
From Japan on ANA, 1 hour between arrival and departure at TSA. Due to airline pricing and covid, it is imperative to get back on the same plane. Anyone have any setbacks getting back on the same international plane? Have to go through customs? Covid check?

It appears that international flights use the same gate on the 2nd floor for both arrivals and departures, and when arriving you go to a common area within security, so it is just a case of getting off and back on given a boarding pass already in hand? Easy question for someone who has flown there internationally.

https://www.taipei-songshan-airport.com/terminal-1.php
Hi GeraldHouse, I have used TSA a few times for arrival into Taiwan and I do not recall arrivals being offloaded onto the same level as departures. But I am not 100% sure. I don't recall ever seeing a sign for international transit, not surprising since it is only regional flights that go into TSA. Regardless, as far as I have heard limited international transit is allowed in TPE because they were able to set up an area to segregate transit passengers. There is no way they will consider doing that at KHH or TSA. I think at TSA you would be the only person that month looking for this type of international transit service.

I don't want to be discouraging but I can see ANA not allowing you to board a flight to Taiwan if you are not qualified to enter. Maybe call ANA and see if you can get anywhere that way. Transit in ICN may be easier, don't know about pricing. Good luck and stay safe.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 6:22 am

Programs: AC*Gold50K; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; StarLux Explorer
TSA doesn't really do international transit. You need to exit and re-check bags. I don't think this is going to be possible. Try HKG or TPE instead.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 11:03 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
As someone who’s done HND-TSA-SHA pre-pandemic, I can provide a definitive answer. No, there are no international transit facilities. You have to “enter” the country like anyone whose final destination is TSA, then go out into the check-in area, check in again, and then back through security and exit control. I highly doubt ANA will let you board with that booked, especially since you’d likely have to book it as two one-ways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.