Wiki Posts
Search

Langkawi / Malaysia duty free rules

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2020, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Some
Langkawi / Malaysia duty free rules

Unsure if it's best to post this here or on the QR forum. I will be taking the new Qatar Airways service to Langkawi later this year and wondered if anyone could help with how the Duty Free rules work for this flight. I understand that generally speaking Malaysia allows only 1 litre of alcohol to be brought into the country per person before you have to pay duty on it. However, Langkawi itself is a duty free island so am I correct in thinking that if you arrive direct from an international destination you can take several bottles of wine to Langkawi without an issue? Out of interest, what if you connect to LGK through KUL?

As a complicating factor here, the DOH-LGK flight is direct but makes a stop in Penang before LGK. I'm not sure if LGK passengers have to get off the plane but I understand immigration/customs is generally cleared in Malaysia at the final destination so hopefully the PEN stop doesn't cause issues?

Sorry for the logic puzzle but hopefully someone can help, thanks!
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:11 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Having passed thru one of Malaysia's other Duty Free Islands a few years back; i remember the alcohol prices at the local stores and outlets were very reasonable. So i think even if the general Malaysia Duty free limits are in enforcement at the official port of entry (Penang or Langkawi), you should still be able to buy alcohol on the island at pretty much Duty free prices.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 2:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by quarryking
Having passed thru one of Malaysia's other Duty Free Islands a few years back; i remember the alcohol prices at the local stores and outlets were very reasonable. So i think even if the general Malaysia Duty free limits are in enforcement at the official port of entry (Penang or Langkawi), you should still be able to buy alcohol on the island at pretty much Duty free prices.
Indeed, I've heard that but I'd ideally like to take some particular champagne / wine which it's highly unlikely I'll be able to buy on Langkawi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.