Search

Which hotel in Penang, Malaysia?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2019, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Which hotel in Penang, Malaysia?

I've never been to Penang's airport before. Is it far from George Town? Ideally this should be a Marriott, Hilton, IHG, or Hyatt hotel. Any suggestions?
Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:42 am
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
30 minutes by Grab. Can't answer about chain hotels
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by lsquare
I've never been to Penang's airport before. Is it far from George Town? Ideally this should be a Marriott, Hilton, IHG, or Hyatt hotel. Any suggestions?
There are two in George Town: MacAlister Mansion (Design Hotels) and The Edison (Hyatt). The Edison is probably a better location than MacAlister Mansion as the former is right in the middle of George Town. IHG and Hilton are located in Batu Ferringhi and it's about 15-20 mins without traffic to George Town. An AC hotel is supposed to open next month near the airport but that's not exactly a tourist area.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by nov11
There are two in George Town: MacAlister Mansion (Design Hotels) and The Edison (Hyatt). The Edison is probably a better location than MacAlister Mansion as the former is right in the middle of George Town. IHG and Hilton are located in Batu Ferringhi and it's about 15-20 mins without traffic to George Town. An AC hotel is supposed to open next month near the airport but that's not exactly a tourist area.
Have you been to the Edison before? Is it worth the money?
Old Dec 23, 2019, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Why not the Eastern & Oriental hotel? (in short E&O hotel)
Old Dec 23, 2019, 10:12 pm
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Edison location is better and reasonable scale compared to the much larger E&O.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
Judging the travel time to and from the airport is Penang is difficult as traffic can be terrible especially during rush hour.

Always take Grab if you can, the local taxi service really goes for price gouging.

With respect to hotels, Penang does not have a huge number of chain hotels.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 11:53 pm

I'm going to Penang early February and booked the Edison. Location seemed to be solid and the rooms look really nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.