Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pill pouches / prescription medicines in Vietnam and Cambodia

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2019, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Pill pouches / prescription medicines in Vietnam and Cambodia

I am a walking pharmacy but have no prescription pain medicines or prohibited nasal decongestant spays or pills. I do have insulin and pills for diabetes (as well as needles, test kit and strips and lances), thyroid medication, blood pressure and cholesterol medication.

I take multiple tablets at various times of the day. To constantly be fiddling with 10 or more bottles is a pain. So I usually divide the medicine into individual pill pouches rather than keep them in separate bottles with pharmacy labels. I understand that if stopped the pouches could be confiscated even though I will have a prescription list from my doctor with me. I am prepared to take that risk as long as the risk of arrest or other sanctions is minimal. Since some of the medications are essential and my health would be in danger without them, I will carry an extra supply of those in pharmacy labeled bottles. Any risk that if they take the pouches, they would also take the bottles?

I will be flying into HAN, out of SGN, into and out of REP.

I have raised similar questions in the Thailand forum as its laws and practices may be different.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Don't know enough to say on Cambodia, but VN customs is mostly interested in collecting duties on high value goods brought in by returning residents. Don't think they will hassle you over prescription medication. Also most medications you can buy in VN at a pharmacy without a prescription.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
My husband does the same thing with pouches (combing OTC and prescription) and no one looked at us when we entered Vietnam (SGN airport, August 2019) or when we flew back through Hanoi from REP to ICN. I realize the plural of anecdote is not data, so YMMV, but I will say that Vietnam and Cambodia were not on my "be afraid for drugs" list the way that Singapore was a couple years ago when we traveled there.... That said, I am ignorant of the actual law here. You have the prescription, so....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.