Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for backpacker transport option in Sri Lanka

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2019, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Looking for backpacker transport option in Sri Lanka

Hi Guys,

I'm a backpacker (Solo Traveler) and looking for a good travel solution in Sri Lanka.
I've found a Company Belkin Tales Holidays who offer a travel pass with the hop-on hop-off facility.
Please find the name below and kindly let whether it's a good deal or not.
It's Economy Travel pass Sri Lanka. ( Just Google it)
Old Sep 24, 2019, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
$110 to $265 USD (so $15-20 a day) seems like a lot to spend for a backpacker when a third class train ticket Colombo-Kandy or Jaffna is something like $2 USD. I mean, isn't backpacking about cheap hostels and making money go far by taking options that the locals use?

https://www.seat61.com/SriLanka.htm#...times_&_prices
Old Sep 25, 2019, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply.
I did a bit of research about public transport in Sri Lanka and I found it quite interesting. Ya, they have 3rd class train tickets for $2-3, you might have to stand on your feet the whole trip (5hrs- 8hrs) unless you're really lucky to catch a seat or you have to book train ticket in advance which costs around $10-$15. On top of that, you have get a tuk-tuk or some kind of private transport to the hotel from the train depot which cost around ($5 to $15) depending on how far your hotel is from the train depot.
Do you think the train is yet cheaper than Economy Travel Pass Sri Lanka?
Old Sep 25, 2019, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Where are you staying where you're taking 10-20 km tuk-tuk rides to hostels from train depots, or getting scammed by tuk-tuk drivers by being overcharged for short 1-2 km drives?

I don't think it's a particularly good deal for a backpacker who's spending maybe $10-15 a day for a shared hostel room to spend more than that on the transport, especially since for a lot of these stops, the entry fee's not included, so this is really going to be more like $20-25 a day or more. This is more like traditional tour guide sort of stuff. Backpackers tend to want to be a lot more self-directed and low budget, not "if it's Tuesday this must be Belgium" kind of guided touring to the local tourist traps. It's not a terrible deal (at a glance) for someone who wants that sort of guided tour on a hop on hop off bus experience, but that's not really how backpackers tend to operate. If you think it's a good deal for you though, it probably is.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 3:34 pm

What an over-priced waste of money!

And "hop-on/off" is useful only if the bus runs the route daily.

Perhaps Pierre knows, does the bus run daily?
Old Oct 2, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
It depends on what you mean by hop on hop off? There are no hop on hop offs buses or trains in Sri Lanka. They have hang ons or fall off trains in Sri Lanka. The only decent train they have is the Colombo to the Kandy one. They do have Inter city busses though and some of them are air conditioned and you can get a seat. You can get them at the Colombo Bus station. Furthermore any tuk tuk that is charging 15 dollars is around 1800 Sri lankan rupees could probably get you to the airport for that rate in an air-conditioned car.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.