Wiki Posts
Search

Sri Lanka rolls out free visas for more than 30 nationalities

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Sri Lanka rolls out free visas for more than 30 nationalities

Just saw this article about visa free travel to Sri Lanka for more than 30 nationalities starting May 1st. The article says that you can obtain the free visa on arrival at Bandaranaike International Airport.
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/news/20...ka-free-visas/

I am not sure about the logistics. Do you get it at the separate visa counter or will the immigration officer who stamps your passport give you the visa? In the past, I get my ETA before I arrive in Sri Lanka. I have a trip planned for June of this year. Hopefully there will be more info before then.
downinit and MaxVO like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:53 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
In light of the recent happenings, i think they've temporarily withdrawn this scheme.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by quarryking
In light of the recent happenings, i think they've temporarily withdrawn this scheme.
The withdrawal may be immaterial.

In light of the recent happenings, "who will actually go there" is the big question.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:24 am

I wonder if this is a good time to go as there will likely be significant drop in tourists ... might sound like exploiting a situation
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:10 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I would be wary of increased security theatre.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Apr 26, Colombo: Sri Lanka has put on hold the program facilitating on arrival visa to 39 countries due to the security situation following the deadly bombings on Sunday, April 21.

Just wandering
Fred

Free visa program delay
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: most of them
I am planning a return trip at the moment. But for next March, so there's a lot that I suppose could happen between now and then.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
The withdrawal may be immaterial.

In light of the recent happenings, "who will actually go there" is the big question.
I just returned after 6 months on the island arriving back in States on 13th of April. We plan on going back in early July with 2 of our grandsons if things get back to some type of normal and I have no doubt it will. Very very sad and tragic indeed but they will get though this a stronger nation..
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by glennaa11
I am planning a return trip at the moment. But for next March, so there's a lot that I suppose could happen between now and then.
If things do not fall all apart we will be back in July for 3 weeks then again returning end of October for our 6 months on the island till mid april.. Love that place and sure hope they nip this thing ASAP as i really think they will..
glennaa11 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:48 pm

Is there anyone there right now and can chime in how it is? I have a flight coming up, debating if I should try to cancel and find another way home.
michelin likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 11:58 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by cruisingmickey
Is there anyone there right now and can chime in how it is? I have a flight coming up, debating if I should try to cancel and find another way home.
UK's 'avoid all but essential travel' is still in place, no?
Old May 4, 2019, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by invisible
UK's 'avoid all but essential travel' is still in place, no?
Indeed it is, though worth noting they exclude airport transfers from the "avoid" notice.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all but essential travel to Sri Lanka, due to the current evolving security situation following attacks on 21 April 2019. This advice does not apply if transiting Colombo airport, providing that passengers remain airside in the airport.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/sri-lanka

There's a clear and perfectly understandable tendency to overplay the cautionary advice, and they can be slow to update or remove it.

I shall be there next week. The only niggle I have is that travelling against official advice might invalidate my travel insurance
Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Bumping this thread as appears to enact on August 1st until maybe Feb 1st? Anyone with recent experience arrival?

Odd, security concerns for Sri Lanka 1x event vs. USA which has multiple events weekly but no security concern impacting tourism.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:24 pm
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
I got a free eVisa as a US citizen a couple of days ago for travel this month. Took about 10 minutes to apply and an hour or so to get approved. Fee shown was zero.
RooseveltL likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 12:24 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rjh
I got a free eVisa as a US citizen a couple of days ago for travel this month. Took about 10 minutes to apply and an hour or so to get approved. Fee shown was zero.
I just applied online for Mrs Willie & I, we too were approved within an hour & fee was $0

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.