Best luxury beach resort in Southeast Asia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best luxury beach resort in Southeast Asia

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Where did you stay? There beaches seem to be quite different.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:22 am

Although I visited some time ago, I always thought Tanjong Jara on the east coast of Malaysia was hard to beat, especially its gi-normous stretches of beach. The area has built up a bit by now but the hotel has been updated. It's much less pricey than Aman-level resorts and you can drive there from KL or Singapore or fly up to Kuantan.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:30 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Rayavadee looks too crowded, like a typical family resort.
Hardware also looks more like 4 stars? Water doesn't seem very clear, but might be ok.
Rayavadee is more crowded than many other hotels, I agree. We met more honeymooners and other couples, but a few kids. I guess there are more kids during school holidays. It is, however, such a large resort that you will find a relatively quiet spot if you stay within the Rayavadee area. Hardware is dark as I said and less luxurious than many other 5 star hotels, but I would not say 4 stars. Water was very nice and clear when we were (February 2017 I think).
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:51 am

We booked into Rayavadee for three or four days after a week at Amanpulo. We absolutely hated it - a great setting, yes, but nasty architecture, murky water and scores of beach vendors etc. We checked out after just one night - a car from Amanpuri came to our rescue. Things at Rayavadee can only have got worse by now.

Personally I have now given up on SE Asia for any sort of beach experience and I'm just grateful that I saw it at its best (though I do rather hanker after Amanoi). Take that beach for instance on Ko Phi Phi, the one made famous by the DiCaprio movie, we had it just to ourselves. Tourist numbers in the region have reached swarm of locust proportions and hotel development is out of control.

Last edited by Pausanias; Mar 11, 2019 at 1:59 am
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
I think we have decided now.
Apparently the Cempedak has some issues with thermites that eat the hardware (sawdust everywhere).
There is also no A/C and early in the morning, you are woken up by a noisy fisher boat that drives past. It’s also not super convenient from SIN.
The Sanchaya also looks nice, but apparently the sea is dirty from oil tankers etc.

We’ll go to Langkawi because it simply works out best for our purposes since there are direct flights to both SIN and KUL. I have heard only good things about the Andaman/Datai beach (in contrast to other Langkawi beaches).

For another trip, I’d like to do Amanpulo, which looks great.
And for a third trip, I’d like to try out the FS Nam Hai and maybe the Amanoi.
Now I just need to find the time for those trips...
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:19 am

The Datai has just had a multi-million makeover - there was a large feature on it in the Daily Telegraph a few weeks ago, praising the rooms, setting, food etc, but also reporting on woeful service with major lapses and language issues.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:21 am
Original Poster

I think we’re going to stay at the Andaman next door. Not as lux as the Datai, but great status recognition from what I’ve heard and much cheaper.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:38 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Pausanias
The Datai has just had a multi-million makeover - there was a large feature on it in the Daily Telegraph a few weeks ago, praising the rooms, setting, food etc, but also reporting on woeful service with major lapses and language issues.
I think we’re going to stay at the Andaman next door. Not as lux as the Datai, but great status recognition from what I’ve heard and much cheaper.
Yes , Datai from all who have been has been very positive except for the iffy software , Pausanias . FTer livefromtuscany ( formerly vienna-resident ) stayed in November , and liked it very much - seen his comments ?

We did not manage a stay last month .

Andaman does not belong in this forum !
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:42 am

What about the Pimalai on Koh Lanta in Thailand? Been a while since I was there, but I rated it more or less on a par with The Datai. Anyone have any more recent recollections of it?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Pimalai doesn't sound great: Pimalai Ko Lanta

Unfortunately I couldn't find the Datai review by @livefromtuscany - somebody have a link?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:46 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Pausanias
Do you have a link? That would be unusual for media..

Telegraph's site has service rated as 10/10: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/d...angkawi-hotel/
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:47 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
The Surin doesn’t get very good reviews. Apparently it’s just a Novotel? Not really a luxury brand... (Yes, there is something in between Novotel and Aman. )

The Surin is actually perfect for what you're looking for, if all you're looking for is a relatively reasonably priced but nice resort on the beach with decent service and food and don't care so much about the hard product. Plus you can always pop over to Amanpuri next door for food.

I'm not sure where you're seeing it doesn't get good reviews.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:51 am

The recent Telegraph piece on The Datai is here - but you need to be a subscriber to read it.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/luxury/t...details-rates/
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Review wise, Andaman and Surin seem pretty much on par?
But Andaman is half the price and we would get status benefits.

I have now understood that the Amanpuri/Surin beach is amazing.
Might be better to just do it “properly” and stay at Amanpuri during another trip?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:38 am

I have now understood that the Amanpuri/Surin beach is amazing.
Might be better to just do it “properly” and stay at Amanpuri during another trip?
Surin Beach used to be called Pansea Beach, after the name of the hotel standing on it. We stayed there back in the 1980s and had a simply fabulous time, eating grilled lobsters for $5 and drinking Chablis for . . . rather more. The hotel was very rustic and we likened it to the bridge they built for the 1957 River Kwai movie. The beach itself was wonderful for swimming or simply splashing around. A lot of people went naked in those days!

Then Amanpuri moved in, sweeping away the gorgeous palm grove at the end of the beach. They also 'smartened up' the old Pansea and called it the Chedi.

I've stayed at Amanpuri a few times over the years and once had the villa belonging to the architect. It's an iconic hotel which changed the philosophy of hotel-keeping forever. There are two drawbacks - the very steep steps down to (and up from) the beach and the fact that the rich snobs staying there have to share the beach with the plebs at the Chedi.
FlyerEC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.