Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Transfer from T2 to T1 in TPE with checked baggage & kids with < 2hr.. .am I doomed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer from T2 to T1 in TPE with checked baggage & kids with < 2hr.. .am I doomed?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by rvs007
I just did a live chat with Tigerair customer service and they are telling me because I'm holding separate tickets, I need to go through immigration and check-in at the Terminal 1 outside check-in counter and get the boarding pass from there, then go through immigration & security again. I'm trying to understand why they can't issue the boarding pass at the Transfer counter as noted in the Transit procedure.

Edit: It looks like I'm SOL. After doing some research it does look like if I'm holding separate tickets I cannot do transfer airside. That's only possible if it's an interlining ticket. So as others have suggested, I'm looking into a contingency plan. But with the Tigerair flight being the last direct flight to Okinawa that night, the next available flight would be the next day and I'd have to remain in Taiwan overnight. Does the airport have any on-site accommodations for travellers staying overnight?
Novotel on airport grounds but still need use bus or rail link. For cheaper options, it would be in Taoyuan City (town near the airport) Hotels with access via Taxi. Yes, Tiger air with online check in still makes you go the counter to get boarding cards (with passport/doc check). I found the tiger air-Taiwan check in (at Kaoshiung airport) to be fast to Okinawa but not sure at Taoyuan Airport. The hold up would be passport control lines (mostly long at night) as well the time to takes to the counter in other terminal (via bus or rail still take 20min+)
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
I just did a live chat with Tigerair customer service and they are telling me because I'm holding separate tickets, I need to go through immigration and check-in at the Terminal 1 outside check-in counter and get the boarding pass from there, then go through immigration & security again. I'm trying to understand why they can't issue the boarding pass at the Transfer counter as noted in the Transit procedure.

Edit: It looks like I'm SOL. After doing some research it does look like if I'm holding separate tickets I cannot do transfer airside. That's only possible if it's an interlining ticket. So as others have suggested, I'm looking into a contingency plan. But with the Tigerair flight being the last direct flight to Okinawa that night, the next available flight would be the next day and I'd have to remain in Taiwan overnight. Does the airport have any on-site accommodations for travellers staying overnight?
What is your source saying you cannot transit on two different tickets? I have done just that before though not connecting to a LCC. Only problem was when I checked in at the transit counter they said there was no way to refund the departure tax (which would not normally be levied on transfers) and I told them just forget about it. I don't mean to press this issue unnecessarily but why would Tiger Air Taiwan maintain a desk at Transit Counter B if they do not handle airside transfers? Something is off. I get that they want to weigh or measure your luggage but they can do that at the transit counter.

There is an airside hotel in Terminal 2 operated by Plaza Premium. I think it is the old EVA Transit Hotel which I have stayed at before. Functional and clean, not luxurious. You can google it for more info. But you cannot use it if you truly have to go landside to check in.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uanj
What is your source saying you cannot transit on two different tickets? I have done just that before though not connecting to a LCC. Only problem was when I checked in at the transit counter they said there was no way to refund the departure tax (which would not normally be levied on transfers) and I told them just forget about it. I don't mean to press this issue unnecessarily but why would Tiger Air Taiwan maintain a desk at Transit Counter B if they do not handle airside transfers? Something is off. I get that they want to weigh or measure your luggage but they can do that at the transit counter.

There is an airside hotel in Terminal 2 operated by Plaza Premium. I think it is the old EVA Transit Hotel which I have stayed at before. Functional and clean, not luxurious. You can google it for more info. But you cannot use it if you truly have to go landside to check in.
I contacted both Tigerair customer service and TPE customer service and both were pretty clear that if I'm holding separate tickets, I would need to go through customs/immigration and check-in at the Tigerair counter in Terminal 1, then go through immigration & security.

I also found this write-up on Tripadvisor about connecting on separate tickets:
https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g4...e.Tickets.html

Wish I had done more research about the difference between separate and interline tickets. Lesson learned.

I've weighed all my options and at this point it seems the best solution will be to stay in TPE overnight and take the next flight out to OKA in the morning. At least the extra cost in doing so can be managed (additional cost for a new set of tickets). Hotel cost in TPE will be offset by not having to stay in Okinawa that night, and I can change my car rental ahead of time without incurring any penalties. If we had gambled with trying to make the connecting and end up not making it, then our hotel & car rental costs in Okinawa would be forfeited (as it would be too late to cancel at that point), and we would have to scramble to find a hotel with two tired kids (and tired wife, too) Not a fun way to start off a vacation!
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:47 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
I contacted both Tigerair customer service and TPE customer service and both were pretty clear that if I'm holding separate tickets, I would need to go through customs/immigration and check-in at the Tigerair counter in Terminal 1, then go through immigration & security.

I also found this write-up on Tripadvisor about connecting on separate tickets:
https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g4...e.Tickets.html

Wish I had done more research about the difference between separate and interline tickets. Lesson learned.

I've weighed all my options and at this point it seems the best solution will be to stay in TPE overnight and take the next flight out to OKA in the morning. At least the extra cost in doing so can be managed (additional cost for a new set of tickets). Hotel cost in TPE will be offset by not having to stay in Okinawa that night, and I can change my car rental ahead of time without incurring any penalties. If we had gambled with trying to make the connecting and end up not making it, then our hotel & car rental costs in Okinawa would forfeited (as it would be too late to cancel at that point), and we would have to scramble to find a hotel with two tired kids (and tired wife, too) Not a fun way to start off a vacation!
Sounds like you have made solid plans. Hope you enjoy Okinawa, it's different kind of place and fun. Especially with your own car!
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uanj
Sounds like you have made solid plans. Hope you enjoy Okinawa, it's different kind of place and fun. Especially with your own car!
Thanks for everyone's help in this thread. I'm really glad to have started this thread and, with everyone's input, came to the realization that my itinerary was flawed and way too ambitious.

We were in Okinawa last March as well (for the first time) and we fell in love with the island. Japan, in general, is already an amazing country to explore. But our experience in Okinawa last year was without a doubt the highlight of our trip. Hence, we are beginning this year's vacation by returning to the island.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:37 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Just for the record, IME it is not a TPE airport or Taiwan government policy that separate tickets transiting TPE must clear customs/immigration, as I have had no problems checking-in on a separate ticket at the transfer counter. Certainly, specific airlines may refuse to do so as policy, as Tigerair appears to in your case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.