Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Where to go for luxury beach vacation in Southeast Asia?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to go for luxury beach vacation in Southeast Asia?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Luxury for me means well-trained, proactive staff.
I really like when I go to the beach and someone immediately comes with a towel and offers me something to drink etc.
I appreciate nice materials in the rooms, like in the Conrad Koh Samui for example, and good food (but it doesn’t have to be Michelin Star quality).
Also, of course rooms must be perfectly clean.
What I don’t need is being treated like royalty, just friendly and proactive service and good communication.

Beach - I don’t know. I liked Copacabana for example. I simply miss a nice beach because all our recent resort stays (Conrad Koh Samui, St. Regis Langkawi) were very nice, but the beach wasn’t good. Or actually, the beach at the St. Regis Langkawi was nice, but the sea was not. It didn’t really feel clean, you could see ferries pass etc.
Bali (Nusa Dua) wasn’t good in terms of beach because of the tides. Most of the day, there would only be mud.

I don’t know, given my priorities, what would you recommend?
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I feel like the best beaches are more likely to be found in Hawaii or the Caribbean.
I have heard some good things about Thailand, but I’ve only been to Phuket, which I probably wouldn’t recommend (though maybe the 5*s like Banyan Tree are better - Istayed at some local 3.5-4* which was okay.)
Ive heard better things about Koh Samui, but don’t have any personal experience.

I would take a look at the Four Seasons Hoi An in Vietnam. Not sure what April weather is like; we were there in early June and it was 40+ degrees (C) and humid. Great property, private beach, water was pretty nice, but not crystal blue like parts of the Caribbean. And short drive to town - Hoi An is lovely with fantastic (cheap) food, and is known for its multitude of bespoke tailors.
Pocatello likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
The beach doesn’t have to be perfect.
Of course it would be a plus if it’s perfect white, powdery sand, but like I said, the type of beach you would find in the Mediterranean would be just fine.
It’s just that Conrad Koh Samui and St. Regis Langkawi really didn’t have much of a beach, they were just artificial (but we knew that beforehand).

I’ll check out Vietnam, thanks!
Also I’m still thinking the Andaman or the Datai could be a good fit because I’ve heard so many good things, even though videos I’ve seen of the beach at both places don’t look that good (it looks like the beach is always in the shade and simply doesn’t look very inviting).
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I feel like the best beaches are more likely to be found in Hawaii or the Caribbean.
I have heard some good things about Thailand, but I’ve only been to Phuket, which I probably wouldn’t recommend (though maybe the 5*s like Banyan Tree are better - Istayed at some local 3.5-4* which was okay.)
Ive heard better things about Koh Samui, but don’t have any personal experience.

I would take a look at the Four Seasons Hoi An in Vietnam. Not sure what April weather is like; we were there in early June and it was 40+ degrees (C) and humid. Great property, private beach, water was pretty nice, but not crystal blue like parts of the Caribbean. And short drive to town - Hoi An is lovely with fantastic (cheap) food, and is known for its multitude of bespoke tailors.
Not relevant to this thread but agreeing this post. The best beach I saw was slightly ironically on an NCL owned island - Great Stirrup Cay,
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
I'm sorry to break this news but with your desire/requirement beaches here won't compare to Hawaii and Caribbean. Just look at the geography - this area is in the middle of the busiest shipping routes in the world. Unless you go to an island which is 300km away from nearest land, you will see at least one ship on horizon regardless of time and date. For the same reason, water won't be clear either. And customer service had long way to go to get to the above mentioned Hawaii/caribbean level. Hoi An/Danang is a nice place but please consider that 16 million people are visiting this place every year and it is opposite of tranquility, if you are looking for it.

If you really want clear beach and water, you might try your luck at Redang Island, but getting there is not a trivial matter and resorts which are there all of them are local properties, not international chains.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Sorry, I think I didn't word this very well. I am just fine with beaches not being as good as Hawaii or the Carribean.
Just not as bad as the bad beaches I've mentioned.
Vanabelle (Koh Samui) for instance was ok. Not great, but ok.
And customer service was top notch at all those properties, St. Regis Langkawi, Westin Langkawi, St. Regis Bali, Vanabelle Koh Samui, Conrad Koh Samui, etc. etc.
That's all I'm looking for.

I've heard good things about Redang, but I am now very cautious with regards to booking something where there are no chain hotels.
I don't have to stay at a chain hotel, but if Marriott hasn't opened a hotel there yet, chances are that the general development isn't good enough yet.
Or do they have local (Malysian) luxury chain hotels there?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:07 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Well with that addictional requirement, I think I‘ll pass.

P.S. There is a luxury chain resort at Redang https://www.berjayahotel.com/hotels-...ia/redang.html
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berjaya_Corporation
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks! Berjaya is what I was thinking of as a local chain. Didn't remember the name.
I've heard great things about Redang (our Uber driver in KL was raving about it last time we were there), but I think I'll stick with my "Western hotel chain" rule:
Apparently the Taaras has massive issues with mold and food quality (reviews mention food poisoning).
And the Redang Island Resort sounds just horrible.
I bet it's really beautiful there, but I'll give it a few more years, so the hotel quality can pick up.

The Four Seasons looks great, but I'll also wait a bit longer, hoping for more reviews on Bawah Reserve.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
The beach doesn’t have to be perfect.
Of course it would be a plus if it’s perfect white, powdery sand, but like I said, the type of beach you would find in the Mediterranean would be just fine.

The sand at the FS Hoi An was totally nice - 9/10. The water was fairly clear, but not crystal blue, 7.5/10. It was pretty calm and nice to just hang out in. I think you can sailboard too.
The views were decent, there’s a hilly island across from you, but if you look toward the left, you’ll see the high-rises of Danang in the distance and a bunch of ships (though nothing crazy). I think if you sat further back on the beach, nearer the resort/pool, you actually can’t see any of that as there will be palm trees on both sides.

My main complaint about the resort was that the on-premise food prices were kind of absurd. Definitely go into Hoi An to eat (highly recommend Morning Glory). The hotel runs a free shuttle, but the times weren’t ideal, though a taxi was probably no more than US$7.
ChocolateFactory likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:50 pm

I also was underwhelmed by the beaches at Bali. Palawan wouldn't meet your infrastructure hopes, imo (except Amanpulo). But it's been a few years since I've been to Palawan. And if you want to snorkel at all or get in the water, Vietnam is not where I'd go for beaches. If you just want nice sand and some waves and good weather, VN would be ok then.

I find the water generally meeting the standards you mention above that you don't like in VN. But I haven't been to FS, so maybe the above is worth checking out more. I have stayed at the Hyatt DaNang a few times, just up the road, and generally the water is not great and there is little to no sea life in all the VN beaches I've been to. I love VN for many reasons but beaches isn't one. But April would be ok for VN and the Philippines. It's hot season for both, but should be good weather and make beaches nice if you see one you like. Be careful of Easter (if it is on your dates) in the Philippines, don't fly on that weekend or expect travel to go smooth. I'd try Amanpulo over anything in VN. Have you considered the South Pacific?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

I still think Langkawi might be nice, though it might rain sometimes in April.
My friend who didn't like the Andaman confirmed the beach is very nice. So either that or the Datai should be good.

I have to admit I didn't think of Vietnam as a beach destination, but the FS looks nice.
Yes, we'll be going over Easter (arriving in/departing from SIN April 11-20). The thing is, we're coming from Europe and it's already quite far to SIN. I think it's just a bit far to fly on to MNL and then to Amanpulo or so.
Something closer to SIN would be better. I guess the same goes for the South Pacific...

Bawah Reserve looks so nice (except the price) - but I'm not sure the hardware would meet our standards. All detailed reviews seem to be from people who were paid to stay there, if not being outright hidden advertising.
I find the "rustic" wording (by coincidence, almost all reviews use that word...) really worrying for a property that costs 2000$/night.
And with Tripadvisor reviews, you never know what people's standards are. That's why I really prefer FT for reviews, people here usually are very experienced travelers.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:17 pm

Yeh I neglected to notice you're coming from Europe. If you're already booked going through SIN probably a bit much to MNL and then Amanpulo on a second ticket. And certainly to the S Pacific then. I'd stop half way at the Seychelles or Maldives before I'd go on to S Pacific, but you said it's rainy season I guess. I'm not an expert on Thailand or Indo at all. If Amanpulo does sound good, being there on Easter is ok, it's just the airport on Friday and Sunday would be a mess so avoid flying those specific days. There's an Aman in VN that I hear great things about the location from the locals. But I haven't read many reviews or know much about the beach. It and the FS are probably your best VN bets.

They're all out of my price range, so I can't comment on some of the finer details. Maybe the luxury hotel forum/thread would have some good advice for you though, too.
ChocolateFactory likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
Have you looked into the Six Senses resorts? https://www.sixsenses.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.