Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flights to Vietnam..when to buy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Flights to Vietnam..when to buy

How far in advance is an optimal time to purchase tickets to Ho Chi Minh? Don't want to wait too long and lose out on a good rate. Any suggestions?
Old Sep 8, 2018, 4:21 pm

If I plan for an overseas trip, I usually buy tickets 3-6 months out. I don't travel/fly/spend enough to have status anywhere, so if you plan on using miles, someone else might have a better idea regarding availability.

But in general, I never understood this question. Just set a maximum budget for what you'd spend on a ticket. If, say, you set your budget at $750 and you purchase your ticket when prices fall to $700, only to see them fall to $650, who cares? You were satisfied with your purchase at $700. And if prices go up, you'd be doubly satisfied.
vapple and glennaa11 like this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 7:51 pm

Agree with post #1 .
vapple likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vapple
How far in advance is an optimal time to purchase tickets to Ho Chi Minh?
Don't want to wait too long and lose out on a good rate.
Any suggestions?
From where and what class of travel?
Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Thank you....

First, thank you calbear2005 for your reply. It makes a lot of sense.
Second, to Mwenenzi...we are traveling from Atlanta, and will be going coach...
Old Sep 9, 2018, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by vapple
First, thank you calbear2005 for your reply. It makes a lot of sense.
Second, to Mwenenzi...we are traveling from Atlanta, and will be going coach...
No problem.

Something I tend to do is search on Google for past flight deals to get a sense of how low prices can get. For example, if I want to flying SFO-HKG, I'll search "theflightdeal San Francisco Hong Kong." You just need to be flexible.
vapple likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
Probably the most convenient 1-stop connection from Atlanta is on Korean Air, and that's a good airline. I am rather particular about who I fly with and I want a good price. I buy my ticket quite far in advance when I can so I have many choices. If you're going in high season (Dec-Feb) prices will be high. Low season is spring & fall - summer is expensive because everyone is on vacation. I say buy when you see a good fare with a good carrier (avoid mainland Chinese airlines!). I prefer the 5* carriers (Asiana, EVA, Singapore). Look at airline reviews and be selective.

I would avoid Tet in Vietnam unless you're Viet Kieu (Viet/American)!
vapple and 64Mustang like this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 4:25 pm

Thanks for that advice! I'm planning a trip to Vietnam in Feb. I'll be flying out of Atlanta & want to fly into HCMC. Spend 3-4 days there & then fly to Da Nang, stay there a few days with side trips to Hoi An & Hue. Then fly to Hanoi for another couple days, flying back to Atlanta from Hanoi.Because of the really long flight from Atlanta to HCMC, I want to fly business class. I've been looking at Korean Air. Their prices are higher than going with Qatar or Turkish, but also are far less time. Do you think fares would be lower if I waited to closer to end of Feb and into early March? Any other travel advice you could give would be appreciated as this will be my 1st trip to Asia & I'll be traveling alone.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:41 am

Programs: AA explt, 5 million miler
Be careful with your dates in February as it’s Vietnam New Years Tet. It’s early February this year.
you won’t get any flights or hotels without advance planning if your trip falls into this week.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:55 am

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
Originally Posted by 64Mustang
Thanks for that advice! I'm planning a trip to Vietnam in Feb. I'll be flying out of Atlanta & want to fly into HCMC. Spend 3-4 days there & then fly to Da Nang, stay there a few days with side trips to Hoi An & Hue. Then fly to Hanoi for another couple days, flying back to Atlanta from Hanoi.Because of the really long flight from Atlanta to HCMC, I want to fly business class. I've been looking at Korean Air. Their prices are higher than going with Qatar or Turkish, but also are far less time. Do you think fares would be lower if I waited to closer to end of Feb and into early March? Any other travel advice you could give would be appreciated as this will be my 1st trip to Asia & I'll be traveling alone.
Yes, fares will be considerably lower in March than Feb (when demand is very high). Honestly I find that biz class is unnecessary - on KE the flight to Korea is not bad at all, and then just another 4 hrs to Vietnam. KE is a comfortable carrier/watch movies - you can walk around on the larger planes (KE usually B777). I believe picking a good airline is very important. Go to youtube and they probably have one or more videos for long haul KE flights.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com

Last edited by Daawgon; Oct 8, 2018 at 3:11 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.