Manila - rental car recommendations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2018, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red

Hi,

can anyone recommend a rental car company in Manila? The websites of usual suspects don't fill me with confidence, so some reassurance would be appreciated.

Previously we have had access to a private car - but this trip we don't. Driver is ex-Manila so is comfortable with the driving conditions!

Thanks
Old May 28, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: UA Plat
I had the same questions earlier this month. Ended up booking with Viajero (viajerorentacar.com). They have a three day minimum, which seems to be common, but it worked for my schedule. I got a better rate than their emailed quote by booking online. They met me outside the airport terminal where we finished the paperwork and I was on my way into Manila traffic. Dropoff was easy too as they met me at my hotel. The car wasn't as new as I'm accustom to renting elsewhere in the world, but more than met my needs. Manila has a system limiting cars on the road based on their licence plate number. Be sure to request a car with a plate # that won't keep you off the road on a day you need the car in the city.
Old May 28, 2018, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
thank you, thats very useful - yes I'd forgotten about the licence plate thing
Old Sep 12, 2018, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

thought I would report back our experiences.

We ended up renting a car from Hertz via the website.

Booking experience
  • website had scant info about the CWD (what the excess/copay amount; could not work out if an additional driver was permitted etc).
  • Booking not confirmed until we rang - email confirmation then provided
Pick up at NAIA 2
  • we arrived early and completed paperwork, car not provided until exactly the scheduled time [not an issue, just an observation]
  • paperwork is all manual, and a bit haphazard (and when we returned car, they did not have a copy)
  • deposit of half the rental cost paid
  • car is delivered to a v busy public pick up area, so hard to check for damage etc.
  • on our query they provided a car with number plate that did not restrict our plans due to the number coding scheme
  • looked the most staffed rental car option at the airport kiosk
  • car new and in good condition
Driving Manila
  • my partner enjoyed being in the challenging driving conditions again (I had to close my eyes on more than a few occasions)
  • no accidents in driving, but at our hotel another driver damaged our parked car - reported to police, report obtained and other driver paid us PHP3500 (being what we thought the copay amount was)
Returning car
  • no paperwork; could not advise or finalize the copayment situation (i.e. deposit less the copyament) - it was then we discovered the copay was not PHP3500, but was 1% cost of the car - around PHP8000 [our mistake in not reading the contract properly]
  • they did not know if we had even elected to have CWD - although the contract actually says it is included automatically
  • was therefore not expecting much, if any refund of deposit [and annoyed in not asking for the 1% from the other driver]
2 weeks later
  • after a few emails and no response, a refund for about half the deposit is made
  • so overall, came out about even in relation to the deposit.
would we use it again?
I guess so, options are limited. You just need to be relaxed and aware that the documentation and information is scant and a bit haphazard - but not unusual for the Philippine way of doing business

Last edited by jeffrocowboy; Sep 12, 2018 at 6:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.