Wiki Posts
Search

First time going to Vietnam, looking for some advice

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

First time going to Vietnam, looking for some advice

Hi, there are five of us heading to Vietnam first two weeks in May ranging in age from 25-32 we would really appreciate any suggestions for an itinerary and hotels we would like a little bit of culture, trekking, beaches and anything different you guys could suggest, also suggestions for a junk in Lan Ha Bay which would be suitable for us. We are on a budget of course but don't mind paying a little extra for some activities.I know that there are a lot of you that have done this trip or are doing this trip at the moment so all advice welcome, also what will the weather be like in May.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
I’ve just returned from 2 weeks in VN, and I loved it.

i would say do consider the temperature as it is likely to be blisteringly hot and humid.

i would also suggest starting southand going north as a travel direction.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: most of them
Might be worth contacting a travel agent to put things together for you. May is only a couple of weeks away after all and this is a very wide-open question.

I have not visited the south...only Hanoi and surrounding area along with Hue and Hoi An. And that was many years ago now. I really liked Hue even though I know some people don't find it that interesting. I enjoyed the imperial tombs and the citadel. Hoi An is very touristy but I liked it even though it was rainy the time I was there.

From Hanoi I did a couple of day trips including HaLong Bay. And one to a place called Perfume Pagoda where you ride in a iron row boat on a placid river from the parking area to the pagoda area.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
The best attraction in Vietnam is the awesome Vietnamese people. Best advice I can give is to slow down so you can actually meet and talk to them (Americans are especially popular because we don't have a pronounced accent, and everyone wants to learn English). Have you done your research at Travelfish.org?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Cris L
I’ve just returned from 2 weeks in VN, and I loved it.

i would say do consider the temperature as it is likely to be blisteringly hot and humid.

i would also suggest starting southand going north as a travel direction.
That's great.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Daawgon
The best attraction in Vietnam is the awesome Vietnamese people. Best advice I can give is to slow down so you can actually meet and talk to them (Americans are especially popular because we don't have a pronounced accent, and everyone wants to learn English). Have you done your research at Travelfish.org?
A bit more popular in Saigon than Hanoi I've found.....
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
I just came back from a week in Northern Vietnam. Did Ha Long for 1 night, Hanoi for 4 (mainly because most travel around the area requires backtracking to Hanoi) and then 2 nights in Tam Coc. Skipped Sapa because I was told it was cold and still very brown/muddy when I wanted to go.

Tam Coc shouldn't be missed. It's a lovely little town and I rented a scooter and drove to Trang An as well and climbed Mua cave/mountain to get a great view of the Tam Coc cruises. If you only have time to do one cruise, I'd choose Trang An over Tam Coc but both are lovely.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:28 pm

You can travel from North to South of VN or vice versa within 2 weeks and you should also do a research on travelfish.org to make your own plan.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 4:04 pm
CEB

Programs: UA 1k MM, HH D, Starwood PT, Alaska MVP
To keep it interesting here are a few more ‘out of the way’ suggestions.From Hanoi consider:
  1. Ninh Binh (day trip possible)
  2. Mai Chau (day trip possible, but long day)
  3. Detian Falls (plan a couple of days, trek and even cross into China if you like.)
  4. Ha Giang or Bac Ha (not far from each other, but plan a couple of days at least. Great for trekking and broad ethnic exposure.)

From Saigon consider:
  1. Can Tho or Vinh Long (couple of days, but tour the Mekong and the floating markets, by boat with a tour is best for this one.)
  2. Vung Tao, Phu Quoc or Nha Trang (all are a bit touristy, but plenty to do in the hills and farms surrounding each. Phu Quoc is the best option, but Vung Tao is close to Saigon making it easier to reach for, say, a day trip)
  3. Dalat (one of the most beautiful towns in the south IMHO. Expensive coffee, silk art of which I have several pieces my home, and great terrain for trekking and exercise. Probably my favorite place in all of Vietnam.)

From Da Nang consider:
  1. Hue, Hai Van pass and surrounds (a great day trip to see the Cham dynasty ruins, the old N/S border area, and eat local seafood on the beach between Da Nang and Hue. Not as cheap as it used to be, but a great time nonetheless.)
  2. Hoi An (you can include this in the Hue trip, but recognize it has become rather touristy but still worth a visit if you have the time.)
  3. The beaches north and south of Da Nang (just get far away enough from the city to really enjoy these. Again, the local food on the beaches is wonderful, but best to stick with cooked foods!
I would add that you need to be sure to spend time in the cities as well. Hanoi is one of the most beautiful cities in the world architecturally and there are all sorts of side streets focused on specific items, e.g. shoe street, jewelry street, shirt street, etc. And if possible, don’t miss the water puppet shows near Hoan Kiem (Turtle) lake, ask the locals where to get tickets. In Da Nang, did I mention the local seafood����? And also check out the local shoppiing in the area. And Saigon is an experience in and of itself, from the ‘American War’ museum (probably the ONLY place in Vietnam where you will feel any sort of negative vibes toward America.) and the unification palace (former South Vietnamese presidential palace) to Binh Thanh market and the Saigon zoo (yep, a worthy zoo as well). Stroll by their version of Notre Dame and the central park, people watch just about anywhere you can find a seat and enjoy the best Pho and Banh Mi you’ll find outside North America (I still prefer the makings here on the west coast where they make the traditional dishes the same way, but always with the freshest ingredients, which is not always the case in the local economy!)For background, my wife is from Vietnam and we spend a couple weeks there each spring and fall with friends. We have friends throughout the country, although most are in the south. Regardless, we visit a new place each trip just to keep things interesting and while I am a bit older than thee (68 next week), I too love to trek and see the sights outside the mainstream at every opportunity. Enjoy your trip and I’ll leave you with one parting piece of advice, take your time and don’t try to do too much. If you do too much you will wear yourself out and not truly enjoy the culture and ambiance of the country and most importantly the people. They are incredibly hospitable and genuinely friendly combined with a tremendous work ethic (could use some of that here in the USA.) and fantastic appreciation for art and history. P.S. One last warning, construction standards are a bit lax leading to very dangerous stairways and rats nests of wire everywhere, so be somewhat cautious when walking around. To cross the street in motorcycle traffic, just start walking and move SLOWLY & CONSISTENTLY so it’s like water flowing around a stone. Fast and unpredictable movements will get you hit! And cars will stop, but trucks and buses will ‘run you down,’ so pay attention. While it is very safe to travel in Vietnam, like any country you need to pay attention to your surroundings and try not to look to much like a tourist even though you are!
sl1ppy likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CEB
To keep it interesting here are a few more ‘out of the way’ suggestions.From Hanoi consider:
  1. Ninh Binh (day trip possible)
  2. Mai Chau (day trip possible, but long day)
  3. Detian Falls (plan a couple of days, trek and even cross into China if you like.)
  4. Ha Giang or Bac Ha (not far from each other, but plan a couple of days at least. Great for trekking and broad ethnic exposure.)
In the spirit of general information and not as a reply to the OP, CEB is spot on with his recommendations with my additional inputs below:
- Mai Chau is indeed a very long day for a daytrip. I would not do it as a day trip. I would combine Mai Chau as a stopover on the way to Dien Bien Phu. Another stop along the way is Son La (known for the the remaining of the French prison that held several well known Vietnamese resistance fighters).
- Detian Falls is the section on the Chinese side of the border. On the Vietnamese side, the waterfall is called Ban Gioc. Awesome place to visit I agree.

Last edited by hxhbk; Apr 26, 2018 at 5:17 pm Reason: Correct typo error
Old Apr 27, 2018, 8:36 am

We are flying in to Saigon in August (yes, I know, hot and humid!), and are planning 2-3 days there, and 3-2 days in a second location. It's 2 parents and a teenage boy, we like to do pretty mainstream tourist things---see the sights, try the local food, buy a souvenir, mostly just look at things we can't see anywhere else. Currently we are thinking of going to Hoi An, since it seems a smaller place and a balance to Saigon. We'd like to at least see a beach and put our legs in the water, but mostly would like to visit a second location. I know we don't have much time, but we are trying to see what we can while we are there. Would Hoi An be a good second place? The other option would be to go to Siem Rep for 2 days instead of Hoi An. What would you suggest?
Old May 6, 2018, 10:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Travel Forum
As the summer is coming so travelling to Vietnam in May could be a bit hot. But don't worry, it is now a beginning of the summer so the weather's still cooler than the time from June to Aug. Also, in May, there won't be raining in central Vietnam.

Which airport will you arrive at? I highly recommend you plan a 2-week itinerary from the north to south or vice versa.
In the northern area, you can refer the itinerary as below: Hanoi - Ninh Binh (home to the imperial capital Hoa Lu and the UNESCO World Heritage Trang An Scenic Landscape Complex) - Lan Ha Bay (Hai Phong) for an overnight cruise trip - Sapa for trekking.

In the central area: take a flight from Ha Noi or Hai Phong to Da Nang - Hoi An Old town - Hue - Nha Trang (a beautiful beach city on the South Central Coast of Vietnam with wonderful beaches, water sports and vibrant nightlife).

In the southern area, visit Saigon - Mekong Delta (highly recommend this destination, a region with a host of interesting attractions such as floating markets, fruit orchards and canals).
Old May 8, 2018, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Re: OP. Beware pickpockets, especially the pros that work in groups and are very practiced. Even if you've been to places like Amsterdam or Barcelona it'll be a higher skill level. Also snatch-and-grabs from cyclos though the cyclo driver will probably pre-warn you. Don't make sudden or unpredictable movements when crossing motorcycle-filled streets. I dunno if you can still buy the $5 knock-offs that look like $150 name-brand shoes, but if you make the mistake of trying to use them as shoes for any length of time your feet will really pay.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
Originally Posted by Suzzin
We are flying in to Saigon in August (yes, I know, hot and humid!), and are planning 2-3 days there, and 3-2 days in a second location. It's 2 parents and a teenage boy, we like to do pretty mainstream tourist things---see the sights, try the local food, buy a souvenir, mostly just look at things we can't see anywhere else. Currently we are thinking of going to Hoi An, since it seems a smaller place and a balance to Saigon. We'd like to at least see a beach and put our legs in the water, but mostly would like to visit a second location. I know we don't have much time, but we are trying to see what we can while we are there. Would Hoi An be a good second place? The other option would be to go to Siem Rep for 2 days instead of Hoi An. What would you suggest?
No question, Hoi An is your best choice (fly via Danang on Vietnam Air or Vietjet). It will be both hot and crowded, but the best place for a short trip. Hoi An has the best food in VN, but sadly not too cheap any more. Great Hoi An videos on youtube. I like to stay near the center of town (Riverside Impression Homestay was just about perfect!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.