Reload this Page >

First Time to Sri Lanka

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Time to Sri Lanka

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2019, 6:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Just get one of these adapters (not necessarily this exact model, but you get the idea):
https://www.skross.com/en/products/pro-world-usb
Old Sep 9, 2019, 4:18 am
Suspended

I think 8 days is not enough to see sri lanka . it has more than 200 waterfalls and lot of places you may like to see
Old Sep 11, 2019, 1:06 am

You can spend must more days in sri lanka. It's have huge historical places, water sports, beach temples etcs.,
Then you can take a taxi packages for your trips. Its best option for your plans
Old Sep 11, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
If you go to Sri Lanka you need to go to North. Kandy. The temple of the Tooth and also to Anuradapura the historical capital.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Ryan10
You can spend must more days in sri lanka. It's have huge historical places, water sports, beach temples etcs.,
Then you can take a taxi packages for your trips. Its best option for your plans
Will be leaving 3rd week of October and staying until Mid April again this year and never seem to get enough of my love and 2nd home..! Life is good there plus food and people are fantastic..
Old Sep 15, 2019, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by attractionsinSrilanka
I think 8 days is not enough to see sri lanka . it has more than 200 waterfalls and lot of places you may like to see
Originally Posted by Ryan10
Realistically, the time I have for vacation travel is what it is. I can't take months at a time off from my employer and expect to remain employed. I don't see the point of telling people "your vacation isn't long enough" as long as they're not trying to fit 3 months of itinerary (or similar) into 3 days.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 12:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Marriott FSPP
May I ask if anyone has been to Srilanka or CMB post covid?
I am thinking of spending 4-5 days there next month on the way back and from Maldives.

Any suggestions for staying in CMB and activities would be appreciated!

Thank you.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by vincentzh306
May I ask if anyone has been to Srilanka or CMB post covid?
I am thinking of spending 4-5 days there next month on the way back and from Maldives.

Any suggestions for staying in CMB and activities would be appreciated!

Thank you.
I have a couple of times. CMB has got all classes of hotels so it depends on your budget too. I personally stay at the Kingsbury because of the location and has a good buffet and good restaurants. Nothing much to do in CMB and it is always good if you take the train to Kandy or get a car to Galle. The fort in Galle is with a look and so is the Temple of The Tooth in Kandy. You can do a day trip to Kandy and back but better if you can stay overnight too. Nuwaraelyia is good too but then you need to stay overnight for sure.
The food is very spicy.
Old Sep 23, 2023, 11:56 pm

Thank you very much Davvidd.

I am thinking to get down to the Galle, is the best way take a car?
I heard train ride is quite nice, any recommendations?
Thank you again!
Old Sep 23, 2023, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by Davvidd
I have a couple of times. CMB has got all classes of hotels so it depends on your budget too. I personally stay at the Kingsbury because of the location and has a good buffet and good restaurants. Nothing much to do in CMB and it is always good if you take the train to Kandy or get a car to Galle. The fort in Galle is with a look and so is the Temple of The Tooth in Kandy. You can do a day trip to Kandy and back but better if you can stay overnight too. Nuwaraelyia is good too but then you need to stay overnight for sure.
The food is very spicy.

Thank you again!
Old Sep 24, 2023, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by vincentzh306

Thank you again!
For Galle I would get a car and a driver as then you need to see a bit more of Galle. Up country to Kandy and to Newara `Eliya, certainly the train.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Davvidd
For Galle I would get a car and a driver as then you need to see a bit more of Galle. Up country to Kandy and to Newara `Eliya, certainly the train.
I have two nights booked with Amangallla, Thinking need to use their transfer or hire a car from Kangaroo cabs, or if you have any recommendations? Really keen on trying to train to Galle not sure if the view is worth the hassle, as I can't find any reserved seats, seems like the train only offers unreserved seats.
Thx again.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Train ride only if you can get the train with reservable/1st class seating (or if you don't mind crampjng in, starting at the beginning of the train). Took a tourist train the mountains (tourist carriage) and then got a train from the Galle area to Colombo in 2015. Not so straight forward as I decided to take the train from Galle to Matara (then start of the line) for a day or two before heading back to Colombo. Good decision. Train started off with empty seats leaving Matara but by the time we got to Galle, it was pretty full and was soon standing room only all the way to Colombo. We were in 2nd which was the top of the 2 classes on most trains (2nd & 3rd). Arrived to a crush on the platform in Colombo 9forget which station but whichever one was near the bus terminal for the airport bus). Given this experience, I would not get on an unreserved seating train in Colombo. Even Seat61 says that you'll probably get a seat if boarding at the train's origina of Colombo Maradana but seats likely to be all taken by the fist stop of Colombo Fort 2 Km down the line.
wandering_fred likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Train ride only if you can get the train with reservable/1st class seating (or if you don't mind crampjng in, starting at the beginning of the train). Took a tourist train the mountains (tourist carriage) and then got a train from the Galle area to Colombo in 2015. Not so straight forward as I decided to take the train from Galle to Matara (then start of the line) for a day or two before heading back to Colombo. Good decision. Train started off with empty seats leaving Matara but by the time we got to Galle, it was pretty full and was soon standing room only all the way to Colombo. We were in 2nd which was the top of the 2 classes on most trains (2nd & 3rd). Arrived to a crush on the platform in Colombo 9forget which station but whichever one was near the bus terminal for the airport bus). Given this experience, I would not get on an unreserved seating train in Colombo. Even Seat61 says that you'll probably get a seat if boarding at the train's origina of Colombo Maradana but seats likely to be all taken by the fist stop of Colombo Fort 2 Km down the line.
Thank you for the info. I dont think I have time to go mountains this time only south to Galle. I may do a short train ride with 3-4 stops in the middle close to Colombo.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 10:13 am

I see there is a Courtyard in Colombo, anyone has tried?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.