Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

connecting at SGN - what does this mean??

Old Oct 18, 2017, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

I have a flight on BI arriving at SGN at 13:25 and am hoping to connect to Jetstar domestic at 15:20. According to EF min time at the airport is 1hr, but for some reason there appears to be an exception with BI and I have no idea why.

Can anyone tell me what this means?? Am I relatively safe to connect to Jetstar in 1:55?

Minimum Connect TimesShare Results
STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE 1.00 1.00 1.00 1.00
OFFLINE 1.00 1.00 1.00 1.00
** OR * ARE ALL
BI-** ID 2.00

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 18, 2017, 7:34 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Do you have to go thru immigration/customs, pick up your bad and re-check?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:18 pm

MCT is for actual "connections" on one ticket, right? If this is separate tickets that wouldn't apply anyway...
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by invisible
Do you have to go thru immigration/customs, pick up your bad and re-check?
I would assume so...coming in international to domestic. Does that mean that if ALL flights are BI it's 2 hours?

If I run the same query using MH it says 1 hour.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trooper
MCT is for actual "connections" on one ticket, right? If this is separate tickets that wouldn't apply anyway...
So, how can I determine if 1:55 is enough time?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:31 pm

My understanding is that you arrive at international terminal and depart from domestic terminal which means that you need to go thru customs/immigration and deal all visa related stuff (if such applies to you).
Old Oct 19, 2017, 1:30 am

Edit: I won't say you should be fine given the comments below mine anymore. But my times should be accurate. You will have to decide if that's enough time for you.

Immigration is 5-45 min at worst, if more than 20 min your bag should already be through anyway. Then 5 min walk to the domestic terminal. So even if the immigration queues are really long, you should still be at the Jetstar counter about 45-60 min before your flight.

The caveat of course is if your BI flight is late.

Last edited by maverick17; Oct 19, 2017 at 11:06 am
Old Oct 19, 2017, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by maverick17
You should be fine with that amount of time. Immigration is 5-45 min at worst, if more than 20 min your bag should already be through anyway. Then 5 min walk to the domestic terminal. So even if the immigration queues are really long, you should still be at the Jetstar counter about 45-60 min before your flight.
Jetstar and some other LCCs have nasty clauses that their check in closes 30 min before departure. At least this is the case in Singapore.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Jetstar and some other LCCs have nasty clauses that their check in closes 30 min before departure. At least this is the case in Singapore.
Interesting...jetstar asia says check in and baggage drop closes 45min before departure...that might make it a bit tight.

Does anyone know why EF specifically mentions BI on MCT? Obviously I searched for BI to SGN on to Jetstar, but when I replace BI with MH there is no 2 hour MCT mentioned.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by tylerc
Interesting...jetstar asia says check in and baggage drop closes 45min before departure...that might make it a bit tight.
Given these comments (I was unaware, I avoid jetstar in VN) I've edited my comment above a little. I think the times I give will be accurate, but if that is good enough for you or not I should not say.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
When travelling on separate tickets, it is always advisable to schedule something like 3 hrs between flights. If the 1st flight is delayed, you can be in troubles.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 11:23 pm

Domestic LCC's at SGN can be notorious for having very long queue's sometimes.
You could be lucky and have no problems but 1:55 could get tight if things don't go your way.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:09 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I think for a SGN international-domestic connection, I'd want to budget 3 hours. I had a SIN-SGN-PQC connection the other day, and there was nobody in immigration (I walked up straight to the counter) and bags came out right away, so I checked in for my domestic flight less than 30 minutes after touchdown, and was at the lounge with 2h15m to spare. At other times, you can have a half hour immigration wait (plus half an hour for prearranged visa, if applicable), and lines at domestic check-in can be atrocious (and people with imminent departures will be given preferential treatment, so it can take a long time to get to the counter). The pay-in (PP/loungeclub) lounge at SGN domestic is not horrible, so I'd recommend minimizing stress and planning a slightly longer layover. (Of course if you're flying Vietnamese LCCs, you may face long delays, so the 3 hour layover might turn into 6, but there's no way to safeguard against that, although simple strategies like avoiding PM flights can help minimize delays).
Old Oct 27, 2017, 5:23 pm

We flew threw SGN last year for the first time......Landing didn't seem like a big issue albeit it was around 10:00 p.m. at night. Just normal process with a little waiting getting through..........coming home was a whole different story! Thank goodness we arrived to the aiport early and didn't dwiddle around before we checked in. We were flying out in the morning on Korean and we checked in immediately - Within about 15 minutes waiting to get checked in the line grew to at least triple the size.....waiting to get through security and such was crazy......I believe we were there about 3 hours before our flight and literally walked to our gate and had about 15 minutes to spare.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by Bravada04
We flew threw SGN last year for the first time......Landing didn't seem like a big issue albeit it was around 10:00 p.m. at night. Just normal process with a little waiting getting through..........coming home was a whole different story! Thank goodness we arrived to the aiport early and didn't dwiddle around before we checked in. We were flying out in the morning on Korean and we checked in immediately - Within about 15 minutes waiting to get checked in the line grew to at least triple the size.....waiting to get through security and such was crazy......I believe we were there about 3 hours before our flight and literally walked to our gate and had about 15 minutes to spare.
SGN to a tee right there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.