Wiki Posts
Search

BKK-SGN and SGN-DOH with separate ticket and 3 Hours connection

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2017, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

BKK-SGN and SGN-DOH with separate ticket and 3 Hours connection

Hi,

I have booked the flight from Bangkok to Ho Chi Minh (SGN) with Vietnam Airlines (economy class). Then, connect with Qatar Airways (business class) to Doha.

My VN flight will arrive SGN at 15.55 and QR will depart at 19.10.

Basically I have 3 hours for 1) clear customs, 2) pick by bags, and 3) check in with QR.

I am holding Thai Passport meaning no visa required for entering Vietnam.

Is 3-hour connection possible? Or should I change my VN flight.

The other VN flight that available on that day gives me 6 hours connection which is too much. However, I am also not sure whether 3 hours is too less or not.

Thanks
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:53 am

3 is ok as long as your arriving flight is on time.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 5:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
In December SGN immigration took almost an hour. Just a data point.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
Both SGN and BKK are very congested airports, and with separate tickets you run the risk of missing your QR flight with a 3 hr connection - much TOO RISKY for me! It's also the rainy season in Vietnam - serious downpours mean serious delays.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Daawgon
Both SGN and BKK are very congested airports, and with separate tickets you run the risk of missing your QR flight with a 3 hr connection - much TOO RISKY for me! It's also the rainy season in Vietnam - serious downpours mean serious delays.
OP is a Thai national so surely aware of rainy season, but also they don't state when travel will occur and we're edging toward the tail end (traditionally at least) of rainy season at this point anyway.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all comments. I will fly on March 2018 (Monday) and now considering to change the ticket to an earlier flight which is safer.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 4:11 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Looking at flying REP-SGN on Cambodia Angkor Air and then SGN-CXR on Jetstar
3 hr 10 min time in between.. checked luggage, not doing VOA. There's also Vietjet flight an hour later that I can book for backup... Ok idea? Bad idea?

thanks
FDW
Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:50 am

Int'l to Int'l is safer for the shorter layovers that OP described. Adding a domestic leg and also introducing a LCC makes it more risky, but since it's int'l to domestic it's not an awful plan. The wildcard is Cambodia Angkor Air. Some of their flights are actually VN operated, but since they're newish and small, I'm not sure I'd consider them an "int'l" type of flight for planning purposes. I'd definitely do the 4 hours at the least, and I'd take VietJet over Jetstar any day personally anyway. Many here will tell you to come the day before and enjoy Saigon for one night though.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
Originally Posted by justforfun
In December SGN immigration took almost an hour. Just a data point.
SGN is one hell of an overcrowded airport, and Immigration there is so slow. Why in hell didn't you buy something direct???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.