Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kuala Lumpur International Airport Long Wait Warning

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2017, 1:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Kuala Lumpur International Airport Long Wait Warning

This is a warning to passengers flying into KLIA 1 or KLIA 2; the immigration lines for foreigners have been so long and so bad the last month that wait times to clear immigration can take up to 2 hours so be aware especially if you are booking connecting flights and onward journey's at KLIA 2 on a different airline.

I was in the baggage collection office for Malaysia Airlines and a lot of passengers were looking for bags that were no longer on the carousel belts (2 hours) and were livid they were going to miss connecting flights on Air Asia at the KLIA 2 terminal or HAD already missed flights.

Beware.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 5:22 pm

An important reason to remember that you can now transit to AirAsia at KLIA2 without going through immigration IF you check-in online and printout your boarding pass first. Look for the sign for transit passengers, it's easy to miss.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 10:04 pm

Programs: GarudaMiles, KrisFlyer, FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by 889
An important reason to remember that you can now transit to AirAsia at KLIA2 without going through immigration IF you check-in online and printout your boarding pass first. Look for the sign for transit passengers, it's easy to miss.
But you still have to go through immigration if you arrive at KLIA1 and your next flight departs from KLIA2. It's the same way from KLIA2 to KLIA1.

On my latest flight to KL I also experienced the long queue for immigration, even though it was 11.00 p.m.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 1:31 am

Programs: MH Gold / OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by wolf72
This is a warning to passengers flying into KLIA 1 or KLIA 2; the immigration lines for foreigners have been so long and so bad the last month that wait times to clear immigration can take up to 2 hours so be aware especially if you are booking connecting flights and onward journey's at KLIA 2 on a different airline.

I was in the baggage collection office for Malaysia Airlines and a lot of passengers were looking for bags that were no longer on the carousel belts (2 hours) and were livid they were going to miss connecting flights on Air Asia at the KLIA 2 terminal or HAD already missed flights.

Beware.
Yeah, the immigration queues have been truly awful lately. KLIA seems utterly incapable of adapting to demand: you'll see the same number of booths manned at quiet times (e.g. 11am Thursday) as you will at peak times (e.g. 6pm Friday). The lines stretch way out of the roped sections, and nobody seems bothered to do any queue management.

I still find the arrival queues to be much worse than departure, but the latter comes with an extra frustration: families/groups of passengers turning up too late (relative to the queue lengths) and having to push to the front en masse. Just makes the whole experience more stressful than it should be.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
it is disgraceful to have a 1hr+ wait at KUL...
I guess the government doesn't care though...
aphro likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Any idea what Saturdays are like? I'm coming off the BA33 later in the month at 4pm. HBO thought I'd be in the city not long after 5pm!

Last edited by mikeyfly; Aug 6, 2017 at 7:52 am
Old Aug 6, 2017, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Any idea what Saturdays are like? I'm coming off the BA33 later in the month at 4pm. HBO thought I'd be in the city not long after 5pm!
It's really difficult to predict these days, unfortunately. I always arrive with the mindset of expecting a one hour queue, and get pleasantly surprised from time-to-time. :-)
Old Aug 7, 2017, 5:42 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

I'm surprised. Last time I went through KLIA1 Immigration (sometime in 2016), I recall it being rather empty or otherwise not crowded.

Any possible reasons for this? Is it due to a lack of Open Immigration Counters, Immigration system problems, rapid expansion of airlines or simple inefficiency?

I was hoping to take a quick same-day turnaround in KUL this December...
Old Aug 7, 2017, 6:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clubeurope
I'm surprised. Last time I went through KLIA1 Immigration (sometime in 2016), I recall it being rather empty or otherwise not crowded.

Any possible reasons for this? Is it due to a lack of Open Immigration Counters, Immigration system problems, rapid expansion of airlines or simple inefficiency?

I was hoping to take a quick same-day turnaround in KUL this December...
Several reasons actually from what I can gather:

1-Massive increase in numbers of tourist visiting Malaysia via KLIA and are either stopping in KL first before venturing else where OR are on transit and switching to a low cost airline like Air Asia (KLIA 2) or Malindo (KLIA 1) on a later flight in the same day or next day.

2-Increased tourism numbers in part due to Malaysia relaxing the visa requirement for China nationals and more direct flights to major Chinese cities

3-More chartered flights from Taiwan, Korea, and China into KLIA

4-Insufficient immigration staff numbers (an old problem that was never rectified and the introduction of biometric thumb print and photography for all visitors which increases the time spent per visitor vs immigration officer x 3)

5-Malindo operating out of KLIA instead of KLIA2 and increased loads of passengers on existing airliners flying into KLIA (emirates/etihad/qatar/etc etc)

6-Poor management of tourist in line as they arrive (no immigration staff or customer service staff to handle families vs individuals vs couples vs APEC card holders and to separate them into different lanes maybe)

Lack of planning and forsight by the airport management.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 7:03 am

What is the queue like between 15:00 to 18:00 hours at the arrivals? Is it a busy time at the airport?
Old Aug 7, 2017, 7:40 am

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Last Sunday night it was horrible too. 45min wait in the VIP/APEC line.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 8:04 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

1-Massive increase in numbers of tourist visiting Malaysia via KLIA and are either stopping in KL first before venturing else where OR are on transit and switching to a low cost airline like Air Asia (KLIA 2) or Malindo (KLIA 1) on a later flight in the same day or next day.

2-Increased tourism numbers in part due to Malaysia relaxing the visa requirement for China nationals and more direct flights to major Chinese cities

4-Insufficient immigration staff numbers (an old problem that was never rectified and the introduction of biometric thumb print and photography for all visitors which increases the time spent per visitor vs immigration officer x 3)

5-Malindo operating out of KLIA instead of KLIA2 and increased loads of passengers on existing airliners flying into KLIA (emirates/etihad/qatar/etc etc)

6-Poor management of tourist in line as they arrive (no immigration staff or customer service staff to handle families vs individuals vs couples vs APEC card holders and to separate them into different lanes maybe)

Ah, alright. I can definitely imagine no. 2, 3, and 5. Recently CGK and DPS has seen a boom in PRC tourist arrivals too and needless to say the foreigner queue is a time-consuming mess. The same can be said with Malindo, which codeshares with Batik here... there's a sudden influx of visitors, especially from South Asia.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Now they've introduced a chunky daily tax on overseas guests in hotels, I'm sure some of the cash generated will be used to improve the airport arrival experience.

(The sound of low-flying pigs overhead)
Old Aug 7, 2017, 4:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Now they've introduced a chunky daily tax on overseas guests in hotels, I'm sure some of the cash generated will be used to improve the airport arrival experience.

(The sound of low-flying pigs overhead)
I think that "tax" will be pocket money for the Ministry of Tourism to use to spend on advertising/marketing to promote the country from what I gather reading the newspapers.

It is up to Malaysia Airports Berhad to improve the immigration clearance experience.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 3:57 am

I also suspect that this incident last year (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-36420639) didn't help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.