Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Airports in Asia: clearing time, checks, English?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2017, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club

I will be flying outside Europe for the first time in my life (Taiwan, Hong Kong, Japan) and am a bit nervous about the airport experience.

How is it different from European airports in terms of check-in, security clearance, time you need to be at airport before the flight, etc? How long should before the flight should I arrive?

And what about getting from the airports to the hotels?

Will there be difficulties due to not knowing the language?

Will there be people who understand English?
Old Jan 22, 2017, 4:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It would help to know the specific airports, airlines, coach versus business class, elite status, etc.

One big difference is that some NRT airport hotels run their shuttle at most hourly.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by TanyaHelenaP
I will be flying outside Europe for the first time in my life (Taiwan, Hong Kong, Japan) and am a bit nervous about the airport experience.

How is it different from European airports in terms of check-in, security clearance, time you need to be at airport before the flight, etc? How long should before the flight should I arrive?

And what about getting from the airports to the hotels?

Will there be difficulties due to not knowing the language?

Will there be people who understand English?
If flying in and out of TPE, HKG, HND/NRT, I would saying the check-in, security, and customs times are comparable to Western standards (arriving 3 hours prior to your flight gives you plenty of time).

As for getting to the city center from each airport, look it up on travelwiki; there's usually pretty detailed information there.

You'll find signs in English in all three countries, and most people under 40 (just a guess, but on the non-pensioner side) have a decent grasp of English if you keep it simple.

The three countries you mentioned are modern and convenient, so don't fret!
Old Jan 22, 2017, 5:32 pm

While I have limited experience with Japan and Hong Kong, please feel free to ask me anything about Taipei, or Taiwan in general, to allay any concerns.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club
Thank you so much for the quick answers!

For now I will be going to TPE, HKG and KIX, coach on CX. I might be able to use some lounge pass from Amex, but that's not a priority if time is tight. My preference is to travel around at decent times without disrupting sleep etc.

3 hours? I have an 8:30 AM flight departing from TPE, and a 9:30 AM flight departing from HKG. How early should I go and what transit should I pre-book?
Old Jan 22, 2017, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by TanyaHelenaP
3 hours? I have an 8:30 AM flight departing from TPE, and a 9:30 AM flight departing from HKG. How early should I go and what transit should I pre-book?
For TPE, depending on when you go, you could have a few options. Supposedly starting March this year, you'll be able to take the MRT (subway) to and from the airport. However, construction on that line has been delayed a few times.

I've always taken the bus directly from the city to TPE, which is about a 30-45 minute ride. Your hotel should be able to direct you to a pick-up location. It's not a city bus with multiple stops, but rather an "airport bus" that goes directly to the airport.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA exp, Marriott Amb
Hong Kong is crazy easy to navigate in English.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
As mentioned above, the Taiwan airport MRT is coming out soon, so fingers crossed, if not you can either call a cab to the airport(flat rate) or take Guo guang bus for the budget options. Hong Kong is no doubt easy to access, Japan depending on your arrival time, there will be specific roundtrip passes to purchase going into the city, sometimes it's bundled with the metro card to use in the city.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:56 pm

Airport operators from other areas (like SYD!!!) should go to Asia to learn how to run an airport... you'll be fine.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 11:49 pm

The airports you mentioned are arguably better than many of the European ones, in particular the London area airports. Facilities are excellent. No need to be nervous.

The procedures are much the same, except unlike the Schengen area you also have to clear passport checks every time. At all the airports on your itinerary these are well-organized and don't end up taking much of your time. Check-in typically opens 3 hours prior to departure and if you aim to arrive at this time, you'll have a smooth experience, although it's also manageable to arrive much later than that.

As a visitor to those countries you will be asked to complete arrival cards. These will be distributed by the flight attendants. Make sure you have a pen with you so that you can complete them onboard. Be prepared to write down the hotel address or at least its name. It is also a requirement to have a proof of onward travel with you. While this is rarely checked, it's good to have your itinerary printed out for this reason.

As for how to get to and from the airport, you should check with each hotel first. Perhaps they run a shuttle service, which is the most hassle-free way.

Hong Kong: all signs are bilingual. It should be possible to communicate in basic English in most places. You can take Airport Express train into the city (24 min), or, if you have slightly more time, one of the special Axx double-decker buses that also let you get some nice views along the way (~ 1h). If you're taking the train back to the airport, you can check in your luggage directly at the Airport Express station. No need to research much in advance, just buy the Octopus card at the airport and top it up. Note that if you ask for directions using English placenames, most locals might have trouble figuring out what you're talking about, as the Chinese names can be radically different.

Taiwan: important signs in places you're likely to end up as a tourist are bilingual. I'd rate the English proficiency as slightly above Hong Kong, the locals are also much more welcoming to foreign visitors. The catch is that there is no standard way of writing Chinese placenames with the Latin alphabet, so names that appear different might actually refer to the same place, just differently written (e.g. "Zhongxiao" and "Chung-hsiao"). The metro line from Taoyuan airport is scheduled to open in March, for now you can take a bus into the city, "Guoguang/Kuo-kuang/King Bus" #1819 is the most frequent one (~ 50 min). Also, no need to research much in advance: just get an EasyCard to pay for the metro and buses (although ironically not the airport bus), and top it up as you go. Be sure to get a free map and tourist pamphlets from information stands at any of the metro stations.

Japan: this is the only one of the three where you can expect to run into a "zero English" situation, even for example at a hotel front desk, although the direction signs should be in English as well and placenames are generally accompanied by a Latin transliteration, always in a standardized way. Here, the ticket options are complicated and it might save you a lot of money if you research them in advance, so I'd do that if I were you. Also note that most ATMs in Japan will not work with foreign-issued cards even if they display the Visa or MC logo. Bring cash or search for a post office or perhaps a 7-Eleven to withdraw money.

Have a nice trip.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 6:37 am

I plan to be at HKG one hour before departure; those who don't like cutting it that close might feel more comfortable with 15 or 20 minutes more. Note that there are two departure halls at HKG, and you can waste quite a bit of time if you head to the wrong one, so do your research beforehand.

As well, while check-in, passport control and security proceed very quickly -- putting just about every airport in the West to shame -- the airport is vast and convoluted, and purposely so since it's as much a money-spinning shopping mall as a transport hub. That means it can take surprisingly long to actually reach your departure gate. Do not linger after check-in; proceed right to security and then your departure gate.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Assuming we're talking about HKG, TPE and NRT/HND, you will have no language issues. Those airports are stupid-easy to navigate with English. Four of the easiest airports to use in the world (especially HKG).
Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: most of them
I agree with that. Very easy to get around these airports from a language standpoint. But HKG is enormous and it can take a long time to walk to/from your gate depending on where it is. TPE is a good bit smaller and still easy to get around. Haven't been to KIX so I can't comment there but I presume it is easy as well.

These places are all very accustomed to welcoming international visitors.

Depending where you're staying in HKG, getting to/from the airport is easy with the Airport Express trains. I took the train and then the free shuttle bus to get to my hotel a couple of months ago. On the way back to the airport I just took an Uber to the train station. The Uber ride was very cheap. As noted you can check in at the train station which allows you to ditch your checked bag there if you have one and cuts out having to check in at the airport so you can just go through immigration and security directly to the gate once you get to the airport. Very simple.

Last time I was in TPE I had prearranged a car service with the apartment where I was staying to pick me up. Unfortunately the driver wasn't there when I arrived so that caused me some heartburn, but it got straightened out eventually. These car services are relatively inexpensive if you don't want to bother with the bus, altho the bus is OK too. I'm sure once the MRT gets going finally that will be great. I am a big Taiwan fan, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. The public transport is great and everything is in English. I took a bus from the MRT to the National Palace museum and even the automated stop announcements were in English as well.

Have fun!
Old Jan 26, 2017, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I've travelled a lot in Asia. Never had any language problems. It was just like being in Sydney.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I've travelled a lot in Asia. Never had any language problems. It was just like being in Sydney.
OP has never left Europe by air, so she would have no idea what it's like in Sydney.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.