Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

great breakfast and free minibar? Taiwan's specialty?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2016, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

I have stayed in a few hotels in Taiwan and all have a remarkable selection for breakfast (compared to the standard free breakfasts in America it is like heaven).And it seems it is also standard for the minibar to be free.

Is this just the hotels I have stayed at? $60 and up.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 2:02 am

You were lucky, I don't think it's ubiquitous. In particular, towards the budget end of the scale, there are hotels catering mostly to tourists from China that only serve Chinese-style breakfast (nothing like oily noodles with tofu at 7 am!). In general, your complimentary breakfast would be much better in Europe in terms of both the selection as well as ingredient quality.

On the other hand, Taiwan has an abundance of breakfast shops and eateries, so unless the hotel is in a very remote place or the venue makes it a memorable experience, I wouldn't pay anything extra for breakfast at the hotel.

In my experience, I'd say Taiwan's specialty in the hospitality industry would be (1) the abundance of complimentary toiletries and amenity kits provided and (2) the prevalence of hard mattresses (believed to be better for health).
Old Oct 6, 2016, 2:31 am
Original Poster

I guess I do not know cheap is budget.

But at 4 points in Zhonghe they told me I could get anything from the menu, as well as the full buffet (hot, cold dishes and more!) as a platinum member.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 3:11 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Even if you're not eating breakfast in your hotel, there are yonghe soymilk and other breakfast shops which are fairly awesome and everywhere. But your budget is more in the middle price range, and anything thing taiwan that's middle and upward has very decent breakfast.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
I guess I do not know cheap is budget.
Unless I misunderstand (?): $60 is cheap by Western standards but not the budget range either, which would be around $20/night. The hotel I last stayed at in Gaoxiong at this rate only had Chinese-style breakfast (with a lot of options) or a toast/fake butter/fake marmalade combo (otherwise not the worst place by any standards and in good location, apparently they just had a lot of capacity at the time and decided to dump it on the market at a bargain).
Old Oct 9, 2016, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, my experiences with Taiwan hotels (local places, not international chains) is that breakfast options, if offered, are typically not that spectacular. Rice congee with all the fixin's, white toast with margarine and synthetic jelly, maybe some steamed buns, and "orange juice" (sugar water with orange food coloring).

And minibar??? What's that? (I've seen a few places that offer instant noodles, crackers, or some fruit, but it's not that common).

Much better to leave the hotel and choose from numerous better food options outside.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 10:58 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Try this for breakfast | Shao Bing

There are breakfast places all over the place serving my favorite breakfast - Shao Bing. It is a bread coated in sesame seeds and baked fresh. I get it with one or two eggs stuffed into the bread. And usually they serve freshly made soybean milk. I get mine without sugar.

Great meal, good value and fairly healthy.

Here's what the vendors look like

I'm sure the hotel folks can point you to a good place close to the hotel. And it's likely that some hotel workers eat there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.