Wiki Posts
Search

Kabul - Dushanbe overland possible?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2016, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA
Kabul - Dushanbe overland possible?

I need to be in BLR next spring. While I am there I am planning to take 7-10 days off work to travel some places around. So far, I came up with 2 options:

1. Nepal and Bhutan
2. Afghanistan and Tajikistan.

Option #1 is very straightforward to plan from India. More so because, I do not need a visa for Bhutan. So, thats easy peasey.

Option #2 is daunting. Not because of Afghanistan. Again, I do not need visa for Afghanistan and its a short hop from DEL. But I do not seem to get much information about Tajikistan. Google suggests about direct Kabul-Dushanbe on Kam Air and Somon Air. But I can't find any thing on their websites. Other option is do to overland from Kunduz. If I were to do it, I see tips on border crossing. But I do not anything solid on transportation upto the border.

Any tips?
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:02 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by daKav

2. Afghanistan and Tajikistan.
Any tips?
Yes. If you want to part of statistics, go ahead.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
If you're looking for something in Central Asia, why not Uzbekistan or Kyrgyzstan? Far safer than Afghanistan.

Uzbekistan + Kyrgyzstan would be a fascinating trip.

I'm sure someone is going to chime in saying that independent travel in Afghanistan is perfectly possible, and I know Kabul is host to thousands of expats, but I still wouldn't risk it.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 7:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by daKav
Option #2 is daunting. Not because of Afghanistan. Again, I do not need visa for Afghanistan and its a short hop from DEL. But I do not seem to get much information about Tajikistan. Google suggests about direct Kabul-Dushanbe on Kam Air and Somon Air. But I can't find any thing on their websites. Other option is do to overland from Kunduz. If I were to do it, I see tips on border crossing. But I do not anything solid on transportation upto the border.

Any tips?
I can't decide whether you are woefully or willfully misguided.
Going overland from Kunduz frankly ranks as one of the stupidest ideas I've seen posited on these fora.
Kunduz is currently experiencing more serious fighting between the Taliban and the Afghan military - backed by US special operations forces.
If you are going in the Spring, that is the start of "fighting season" again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.