Wiki Posts
Search

Using Avios to help a friend in Kazakhstan

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2016, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Using Avios to help a friend in Kazakhstan

Greetings Asia Forum, I'm looking for some help.

I have a friend from Almaty in Kazakhstan who I would like to take a holiday/vacation with in the coming months. I'm British and fortunate I can get to most countries quite easily due to fantastic transport links and a passport which is welcomed in most places without a visa. My friend in KZ finds it hard to travel, not only is she cash poor but not many airlines fly into Almaty and the her location means she is often looking at connections for flights and long waiting times. The national airline Air Astana has a dominant position.

I have Avios which I would like to use to help her take a flight to meet me. At this moment anywhere in Asia/Africa are possible destinations. However, I don't believe I can use my Avios on her very easily as there is only one One World flight out of Almaty which is on S7 to Novosibirsk Tolmachevo Airport and I am hoping for something a bit more exotic and romantic than there.

Almaty International Airport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almaty...tional_Airport

It looks like she would have to buy a ticket to a second location just in order to get a flight paid for by Avios but then this doesn't seem to be a good use of Avios as buying a cash ticket to the destination would probably end up being a similar price.

Any ideas or suggestions. Or does anyone know of any enjoyable places to vacation in central Asia?
Old Jun 8, 2016, 3:07 pm

I think you can't use your Avios, but instead i would recommend to have a look at Ukraine International Airlines. They have decent fares from Almaty (via Kiev - visa free) to Istanbul (visa free), Dubai, Tel Aviv, Tbilisi (visa free) and many more. Usually about 160-200 USD rt. if purchased in advance.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Thank you, yes Ukraine International Airlines does seem to connect to a few more useful places. I did see that and it seems to be the cheapest way for me to get to Almaty from London at times.

I was hoping to use my Avios for her on this upcoming trip but it seems like I'll have to keep saving them for another time.
Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.