Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HKG, Chiang Mai, KUL Itinerary Help for Feb 2016

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2015, 5:25 am
Original Poster

HKG, Chiang Mai, KUL Itinerary Help for Feb 2016

My gf and I will be spending 2 weeks in Southeast Asia (our first times on the continent) in February. We'll start out in Hong Kong for a few days, then go to Chiang Mai in Thailand for about 5 days, and then over to Kuala Lumpur for about 5 days.

Looking for itinerary help, especially with the Chiang Mai portion. I know there will be many temples to see, and I look forward to experiencing the local markets there. What other things would people recommend seeing there or any other part of this trip, that would be somewhat removed from normal tourist traps? Hong Kong and Kuala/Malaysia should have much to keep us occupied, but am open to any suggestions there as well.

Also flights are booked from US to HKG and KUL back to the US, but will soon be booking flights from HKG to CNX, and on to KUL. My assumption is that AirAsia is the way to go here (would not be worth using FF miles for such short and inexpensive journeys), but is there a better option?
Old Dec 20, 2015, 5:49 am

I don't believe Air Asia fly's direct to CNX from HKG. But if you are willing to fly through Bangkok or KL then you have a load of LCC's to choose from. I would check all of the LCC's even check flying through Vietnam as I think Viet Air flies to CNX.

You could also take train from CNX-BKK-KUL. Check out seat61.com for info.

Spending FF for CNX to KUL would be a waste.

If choosing LCC's be sure to pay attention to the airport you fly into as LCC's usually do not fly into the international airports. Not a big deal in KL as train connects KLIA with KLIA2 but a big deal in Bangkok.

I have not done CNX yet but my plan was always to check out Chiang Rai.

Word of warning, if your travel dates are the 8th through the 18th then be prepared for onslaught of Chinese tourists due to Chinese new year. Large groups, buses, lines, and craziness!

HKG or KL might be cool on Chinese new year but I haven't experience it myself and many things may be closed.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 1:04 pm

Just some miscellaneous thoughts and opinions...

You can get some pretty cheap flights on Air Asia so I agree, it's likely not worth using points.
Double check if your flight is Air Asia or Air Asia X. They might have different check in/baggage drop counters as we found out.

There are a number of different street markets in Chiang Mai, with some only running certain days so you may want to tweak your itinerary around them. There's the Night Bazaar that runs nightly but that's more touristy that the rest.

We daytripped to an elephant sanctuary which was pretty fun and which I'd suggest. Research the differences places as some are more sanctuary whereas others are more show/attraction type places.
We also did a cooking class in town which was kind of fun cuz we're foodies and got an idea how to cook some of our favourite Thai dishes.

We initially traveled to Chiang Rai, enjoyed a couple of days there, and bused it down to Chiang Mai. There's a night market in Chiang Rai too but it's a small town so there's kind of limited activities in the town itself. Not sure if it's your thing but we book we booked a driver and guide for a day that took us to the Golden Triangle, some of the more well known temples in the region, and some hill tribe areas. We did get "wat'ed" out after a while. The hill tribes were kind of interesting. There's the whole ethics and authenticity/tourist trap aspect of it but I'm still glad we visited.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 5:42 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
For the HKG-CNX route, check out Hong Kong Express:

www.hkexpress.com

Air Asia is a good bet from CNX-KUL - they have direct flights, no need to bounce in BKK.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Dec 20, 2015, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
It sounds like you're trying to avoid Bangkok, and I dunno that I'd want to do that on a first trip. Chinese New Year there is notable because so many of the residents of Chinese ancestry flee to Pattaya, Hua Hin or other beaches, so traffic is the least-worst of the year, and you've got the skytrain and subway as well. But unlike Hong Kong, not too much closes down (only mom & pop places with Chinese owners) and malls have their dragon parades and all that.

With Chiang Mai, Wat Doi Suthep is an absolute must and the closest thing to a Grand Palace-like experience without being in Bangkok. I think the Night Bazaar is overrated but it does have lots of stuff and not the crushing crowds like the weekend market in Bangkok. There are cooking and language schools in CM but it's hard to do that much on a short trip. Also lots & lots of hilltribe and golden triangle tours, but those get more and more touristy as there's less of a "there" there than there was years ago. Luang Prabang has better proximity to something a bit more authentic.

CM is cheaper than Bangkok and smaller and has a certain quaint-ness with the moat and all, plus a few very good expat-run restaurants.

With KUL I always book a place as close to the Bukit Bintang intersection as I can, or at least near a monorail station. Taxis are dysfunctional but the train systems can help you with many places. If it's Chinese New Year the intercity buses might fill out on certain dates. Tons of shopping, lots of food (including better access to imported beef than Thailand), places like the Menara and excursions like Genting Highlands (the long sky bucket ride has a unique feel when the mountain is cloud-covered) or Malaka.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
In Chiang Mai, a few thoughts:

- Fah Lanna Spa: do it! They have two outposts - a less expensive version that is clean and nice, and their main spa in a gorgeous building with water and rivers running through it. I had a 250lb woman give me a Thai massage and it was...A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.

- Flight of the Gibbon: just an awesome experience in the jungle. I never went zip lining before but it was the best experience.

- Avoid the elephant riding - they treat them horribly. There are a few humane ones, but you just look, no riding.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the great tips! Any thoughts on the number of days in each location?

Basically will have 13 days to play with, and originally looking at staying 3/5/5 in HK/CM/KL. The more I research Malaysia, however, the more I am intrigued, not just by KL but other surrounding areas that we could day trip to. So I am thinking about spending less time in Chiang Mai, and additional time in Malaysia.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by KHTravelBitten
Thanks for the great tips! Any thoughts on the number of days in each location?

Basically will have 13 days to play with, and originally looking at staying 3/5/5 in HK/CM/KL. The more I research Malaysia, however, the more I am intrigued, not just by KL but other surrounding areas that we could day trip to. So I am thinking about spending less time in Chiang Mai, and additional time in Malaysia.
I would not reduce time in CM for more time in Malaysia. If anything add Chiang Rai to your 5 days in N. Thai.

5 days is too long in KL in my opinion. I would make shorter and maybe add a couple of days at the beach; Langawi, Koh Samui are all short flights from KL on LCC's.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 4:12 pm

Programs: 1MM BIS. Former 18-year segment 1K, 1997-2014...now just a distant memory.
Having visited CNX at least a dozen times over the years, can say that unless you plan on doing some serious shopping there, which takes time, I also agree that an initial five day stay in CNX may be a bit too long. I would knock a day off that stay, and a day off your time in KUL, and plan a two full day stopover in BKK, for the added experience. LOTS to see and do in that city, more so than even in CNX.

When in CNX, I'd suggest booking a cooking lesson at www.cookingathome-chiangmai.com. In planning for my wife's and my visit to that city in September 2014, I read reviews for many of the "cooking schools" there, and chose that one. The owner is very responsive to emails sent to her. We were not disappointed.

Last edited by ColoBill1; Dec 25, 2015 at 4:21 pm Reason: Corrected the website name
Old Dec 25, 2015, 6:18 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by kmcbrid2
I would not reduce time in CM for more time in Malaysia. If anything add Chiang Rai to your 5 days in N. Thai.

5 days is too long in KL in my opinion. I would make shorter and maybe add a couple of days at the beach; Langawi, Koh Samui are all short flights from KL on LCC's.
Good points. For a combined Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai itinerary, the OP, check out the trip report in my signature.

Curious to follow the thread for KUL recommendations as I'm there for work all the time but never did anything as a tourist.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 7:45 pm

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
I didn't like Kuala Lumpur at all! Suggest you go to Malaka or Kuching instead.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Daawgon
I didn't like Kuala Lumpur at all! Suggest you go to Malaka or Kuching instead.
Never been. What should we be doing in those places? Why do you like them?
Old Dec 28, 2015, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks again for the suggestions. We decided to add a stop in BKK for a few days. For those that have been, besides the temples, what are the "musts" to do there?

Also my gf really wants some beach time, so we were thinking of spending some of our Malaysia time at a beach either for a day trip (from our KL base) or a 2-day stop (maybe Penang/Langkawi, or even Koh Samui as mentioned earlier). Any other beach suggestions that can be reasonably traveled to from KL?

Btw, I have been learning about all the destinations (part of my pre-trip routine), and am too intrigued by KL to just wipe it off the itinerary. Malacca/Melaka is also being discussed as a day trip from KL.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 12:28 am

I think if you start to look at the threads of "what to do" in SE Asia, you'll find that people will have told others that they are trying to squeeze in too much and will spend too much time moving from place to place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.