Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

What asian airlines are best - flying to Thailand?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2015, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

I'm looking for flight in March and prices are roughly similar between airlines.
Which of the airlines offer a better experience for economy travelers? (meals, space, entertainment, power outlets)
(Air China, China Southern Airlines, China Airlines, Eva Airways, China Eastern Airlines, Asiana Airlines
Philippine Airlines, Etihad Airways)

Also I've been told that ordering the special meals gets you better food in-flight
Please share your experiences.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 3:20 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Ordering special meal prevents any op-up consideration, fwiw. Food quality for special meals is rarely better these days (was maybe a decade ago). I don't fly much in economy so can't compare these airlines, but interesting that you omit the home airline (Thai). I've heard good things about Asiana for their economy service but you should check seating density as some of these airlines squeeze an extra seat per row into economy.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 8:43 am

Programs: KLM, Enrich MAS, Emirates Skywards
Isnt Thai Airways, smooth as silk, the obvious choice?
Old Oct 29, 2015, 9:48 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by number_6
Ordering special meal prevents any op-up consideration, fwiw.
Which are rather low for native fliers, so pretty much not an issue.

Originally Posted by L Lam
Isnt Thai Airways, smooth as silk, the obvious choice?
Since they no longer fly to US, not so much.

But since there is NO nonstop service to Thailand, you HAVE to connect somewhere @:-)

Thai is good, but you have to get to Asia (or Europe) in order to connect to them. Many sites will let you book flights that involve more than one airline.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Out of that list, I would avoid any of the mainland Chinese carriers. Connecting in China isn't fun and as seamless as on EVA (Taipei) or Asiana (Seoul).

Where are you leaving from?
Old Oct 29, 2015, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Out of that list, I would avoid any of the mainland Chinese carriers. Connecting in China isn't fun and as seamless as on EVA (Taipei) or Asiana (Seoul).
Ah yes, that little gem

China Air also connects in Taipei, and has very good reputation.

When flying to BKK via China, I took advantage of TWOV to stay for day or two, BUT on my last trip wanted to just change planes on the way back to US.

OVER FOUR HOUR connection, and I came close to missing my flight, because I had to ENTER China, EXIT China AND catch my plane.

WITHOUT ever exiting the airport

AND used up TWO pages of my passport for stamps, so had to renew my passport a year early because I ran out of pages

But you decide ....
Old Oct 30, 2015, 1:27 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Ah yes, that little gem

(underline mine)

Not sure which carrier you had in mind. If you are referring to China Airlines, that is NOT any mainland Chinese carrier. IceTrojan suggested to avoid "any of the mainland Chinese carriers." Air China, on the other hand, is one of the major airlines of the People's Republic of China (aka PRC), but they don't connect in TPE.

China Airlines is a Taiwanese airline and the flag carrier of the Republic of China, aka R.O.C., & just as EVA, doesn't connect in China, since both are Taiwan-based.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Originally Posted by lin821
China Airlines is a Taiwanese airline and the flag carrier of the Republic of China, aka R.O.C., & just as EVA, doesn't connect in China, since both are Taiwan-based.
Thanks for the clarifications. Yes, I know CI is a Taiwanese airline based in TPE. But as you may have noticed, my list wasn't meant to be exhaustive. Perhaps I should have typed "such as, but not limited to..." but that gets tiring.

Notice I also didn't include PR or EY, neither of which connect in mainland China either

In any case, my statement of "avoid mainland Chinese carriers" still stands.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 1:40 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
In any case, my statement of "avoid mainland Chinese carriers" still stands.
Great minds think alike.

I was just making a point because some people get confused between China Airlines and Air China.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 1:34 am

You don't list Cathay Pacific...are they more expensive than the rest. I don't fly economy so can't really comment on the specifics on that but if your departure point has Cathay service or you can connect easily to it that would probably be my first recommendation as the connection in Hong Kong will be nice. Of your list, my choice would be EVA, I have flown them in business class many times and service is good. Taipei airport is a little long in the tooth but small and easy to navigate and has some decent food and beverage outlets.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 3:54 pm

we flew with Delta last year, with a stop over in Japan. It went really smooth and the stop over wasn't bad. Mind you, we flew to Singapore and from there we took Air Asia to BKK, Chiang Mai and Krabi (and back to Singapore)
Old Nov 7, 2015, 4:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by vigoritout
we flew with Delta last year, with a stop over in Japan. It went really smooth and the stop over wasn't bad. Mind you, we flew to Singapore and from there we took Air Asia to BKK, Chiang Mai and Krabi (and back to Singapore)
DL serves BKK through NRT, so one can fly USA-NRT-BKK very conveniently.

I'm surprised that SQ isn't also on the list, but it's likely to be more expensive than the mainland Chinese carriers as well as some of the others on the list (ME3 or Philippine Airlines).
Old Nov 7, 2015, 11:55 pm

Not sure which carrier you had in mind.

<snip>

I was just making a point because some people get confused between China Airlines and Air China.
Sorry, must have been posting late at night past my bedtime (kind of like now).

Yes, meant China Air which has a very good reputation.

Air China, OTOH, connecting in China, is reportedly hit or miss. I've flown them on regional PVG-KIX (thanks to UA cancelling my PVG-SFO flight ) and they were fine there.

I've flown EVA in Premium Economy longhaul, and would (and likely will) repeat that.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 12:32 pm

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
A very easy question to answer - Asiana and Singapore are the 5* best. I would avoid any mainland Chinese carriers, but the Taiwanese carriers (EVA and China Airlines) are very good too. Of the Japanese carriers, ANA is considered better than Japan Airlines.

Asiana gives me a free hotel room and lunch when my transit time at Seoul exceeds 8 hours (on request only). I am not overly fond of Asiana's website - I've booked my next trip on Orbitz ($736. SEA-HAN-SEA).

Of the Asian transit airports, you can't beat Seoul ICN or Singapore SIN!
Old Nov 10, 2015, 11:27 pm
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
You have Etihad on the list - are you flying from Europe or North America?
From the carriers on your list, I'd rank:
Asiana
Eva
Philippine Airlines
China Air
There are significant differences based on where you are flying from and what planes they use on those routes with regards to comfort!
As others have said, I'd avoid connections via mainland China. All the carriers ranked above should be much easier connections!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.