Wiki Posts
Search

Going Manila for 3-5 months. Need advice

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2015, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Going Manila for 3-5 months. Need advice

Hi All,

I'm an Indian based out of Delhi working with a IT MNC. I've to travel to manila for 3 months initially which could be further extended by 2-3 months. Actually, I was googling out for Manila and I got lot of mixed reviews for the city. Some people say the city is not safe to travel, some say it is quite good. I want to know basically about the safety and weather conditions. I've heard typhoons are quite common there. Are they really disastrous?
Well my office would be at Ayala centre, Makati and my employer would be providing me accommodation there. They would be providing me with a service apartment which would be somewhat near the office. Can anyone please recommend me a good service apartment (1bhk) which has all basic amenities like kitchen, laundry, wifi etc.
Also, if this place is near to shopping malls then it will also do so thay during my off days I could roam around.

And, since it is a new country for me so what all places can roam around and what all precautions do I need to follow?

I'm a 27 year male travelling first time outside India.
Thanks for help in advance!
Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:15 am

Being Filipino and have lived in Manila for a little bit, I'd be glad to help some things.

As with any other city in the world, you always want to take the proper precautions like with pick pocketing, robberies, etc. Manila is pretty much a safe city especially the area you'll be working at. Ayala Center is pretty much an upscale area with alot of upper class rich folks. As always, the proper precautions and proper alertness is recommended. It's not dangerous compared to the south of the country in Mindanao where most terrorist activities are prevalent.

As for typhoons, it usually hits between June-November. The typhoons tend to hit more south of the country in places like Cebu but can occasionally strike the capital. As always, follow up on news reports for information and the proper steps to stay safe.

As far as accommodations, I think a condo would be your best bet but don't really have info on that. Maybe you can look up online regarding expat living.

As far malls, you got Glorietta, Greenbelt, Shangri-La all in your area. A little bit further you have SM Megamall and Fort Bonifacio which is an upscale city. You can also make a trek down to the Mall of Asia if you'd like. If you plan to take a taxi, make sure that you demand to use a meter and make sure the meter is sealed and not tampered with. That's how they can get you.

Lastly, the Philippines is one of the few countries in Asia where English is well understood. Just like in India.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for your comments maortega15.
I'll surely take care of the things you advised.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Hi All,

I would also like to know how much salary/allowance is enough for living in Manila. I mean the apartment to me would be provided by the employer, so other than that what is the average monthly expense in Manila. I'm not used to a very luxurious life and not involved in smoking/drinking etc.

Also, I'm a pure vegetarian, so are there some veg (probably Indian) restaurants there in manila. Do the groceries shops have some Indian products which could be cooked at home?
Old Apr 23, 2015, 3:40 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Only been to Manila a few times, but ever recall seeing an Indian. I would suspect you better bring your own spices @:-)

The area where you will be staying is possibly safest in greater Manila, but still need to be aware of your surroundings.

And yes, you will be divided by a common language: different flavors of English.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: CX Silver, QFF Bronze, Mabuhay Miles
Originally Posted by traveller03
Hi All,

I would also like to know how much salary/allowance is enough for living in Manila. I mean the apartment to me would be provided by the employer, so other than that what is the average monthly expense in Manila. I'm not used to a very luxurious life and not involved in smoking/drinking etc.

Also, I'm a pure vegetarian, so are there some veg (probably Indian) restaurants there in manila. Do the groceries shops have some Indian products which could be cooked at home?
Filipinos love food, so there are plenty of restaurants around, even Indian restaurants although they will be a little different to genuine Indian you are used to (just google it). The supermarket has all the food you will need and if you can't find the exact spices you like for cooking, they can be found in specialty stores. Rice is the staple, so there is rice everywhere very cheap. You will have no trouble living cheaply, if that is what you want. Relax and enjoy all the new experiences.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
The rice in Philippines/Manila, like their English is different from the rice in India and their English.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 6:02 am

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Anecdotally, I've been noticing ALLOT of Indian nationals in the Philippines over the last year or two, whereas in the past I rarely noticed any. I have even noticed a handful of small Indian operated restaurants very recently purporting to offer authentic Indian vegetarian menus, though I have never tried any of them and couldn't offer any direction or recommendation, but I have seen them.

All of this is recent. In the last couple of years. But very recently there definitely seems to be the beginnings of a small but significant Indian community developing a foothold in and around Manila. I suspect the OP may find himself part of a wave of Indian nationals conducting similar business in the Philippines very recently.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Many IT MNC has been divesting from India to India and Philippines for their intl work where communication in English is essential.

My consultancy is part of this staring around 2008/9. I saw Alabang develope.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Hello All,

Thanks a lot for replying on the posts. This will surely help me a lot. It has boosted my moral to next level and I feel more optimistic now.

Thanks again!
Old May 3, 2015, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Hi,

Apologies for being late to comment but since I spent time in Manila/Makati on a couple of assignments, thought would be good to share some details.

There are quite a few furnished serviced residences in and around Makati. I stayed at the Somerset and Ascott. These belong to the same Citadines group and generally well managed. Ascott is pretty luxurious and more central, but more expensive. You can reach out to the directly for extended stay quote discounted rates.

Makati is quite safe and I never felt unsafe and have travelled there many times. Manila is a bit different but fine if you are aware of your surroundings generally like in any large unfamiliar city.

In terms of living expenses, it really depends on whether you eat out all the time or cook at the apartment but overall food prices are reasonable (cheaper compared to US, probably comparable to eating at a decent restaurant in India). There are 2-3 grocery stores (a couple by Glorietta Mall and one in the Greenbelt area) and I was able to find most of the spices etc I needed. Check out New Bombay restaurant outside Glorietta Mall. There are also other restaurants, including Indian/middle eastern, around the area that should be able to offer vegetarian food.

Enjoy your stay in Manila/Makati!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.