Vietnam - Hanoi or Hoi An?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vietnam - Hanoi or Hoi An?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I much prefer hoi an over Hanoi. I agree with whoever suggested hue and danang and hoi an. As my traveling companion says the first trip is reconnaissance; the rest are nostalgia.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
Originally Posted by agp423
Hi all, I want to visit Vietnam in early 2016 and want to start my preliminary planning now. I know a little bit about some of the major cities and their attractions but want to get the thoughts of those who have actually visited. For a solo traveler who is interested in culture (e.g. temples, historic ambiance), food (street food as well as fine dining), people watching, and a bit of nature, where would you recommend I go? Hoi An or Hanoi? I know Ha Long bay is a big attraction and is near Hanoi, but it is not THAT close… Inputs welcome, thank you in advance!
I just returned from my 7th trip and actually only went to Hoi An and Hanoi. I also travel alone - Vietnam is great for solo travelers. The answer is you should go to both places because they couldn't be more different. Hanoi the mega city with the wonderful Old Quarter, and Hoi An the resort town with lots of color and the best food in VN. I would not recommend a Halong Bay cruise for you - I did it solo in 2014 and thought it was a waste of time and Dong because most everyone of that junk were couples (it's also very contrived and one mainly interacts with other tourists).

Prior to travel you should reserve a free tour of Hanoi with Hanoikids - the free student guides who do this for English practice. Send them an email a month before you go - they have a website (highly recommended).

You should do as much research as you possibly can about Vietnam before you go - this is important! Travelfish.org is a good place to start.

You can send me a PM if you need further info - Vietnam feels like a second home now to me.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 1:04 am

I just returned from 3 weeks in Vietnam - HCMC, Hoi An, Danang, Hue, Hanoi.

If you only have 3 days, I would spend all of them in Hoi An. Fly to Danang, take a cab straight from the airport to Hoi An (30 mins, about $20). If you have limited time don't waste it in Danang and Hue.

Hoi An is just gorgeous. Fascinating old town to explore, compact and managable, easy to get out in the countryside by bicycle, beaches nearby, and the best food in Vietnam. Hanoi is nice but really it's a big city - Hoi An is such a great atmosphere.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
I just got back from Hoi An... I'm going to be the contrarian here and say that I was disappointed by it. Great food, no doubt... but seems overly touristy for my tastes.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:15 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by Daawgon
I just returned from my 7th trip and actually only went to Hoi An and Hanoi. I also travel alone - Vietnam is great for solo travelers. The answer is you should go to both places because they couldn't be more different. Hanoi the mega city with the wonderful Old Quarter, and Hoi An the resort town with lots of color and the best food in VN. I would not recommend a Halong Bay cruise for you - I did it solo in 2014 and thought it was a waste of time and Dong because most everyone of that junk were couples (it's also very contrived and one mainly interacts with other tourists).

Prior to travel you should reserve a free tour of Hanoi with Hanoikids - the free student guides who do this for English practice. Send them an email a month before you go - they have a website (highly recommended).

You should do as much research as you possibly can about Vietnam before you go - this is important! Travelfish.org is a good place to start.

You can send me a PM if you need further info - Vietnam feels like a second home now to me.
Thank you for the information. I will do some research on these websites.

As of destinations, I think I will visit Hanoi this trip because of scheduling and coordinating with friends. I will see Hoi Ann next trip.
Old May 1, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat/2MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist. PA WorldPass
Folks--

Another variation on the OP's question for the experts here: We're planning a nine-night Vietnam trip over the coming new year (flying into Da Nang in late December, out of Saigon in early January). We've been to Saigon, Hanoi and Halong Bay once before--and obviously very much enjoyed the trip--but this time we want to see some different things and maybe spend some easy-going beach time in and around the new year.

Right now, I'm thinking of spending four nights in Hoi An (with day trips to Hue and Da Nang), four nights in Nha Trang and then a single SGN night before our departure (enough to take a couple of food tours, do some shopping and return to the airport). Is this a reasonable plan, or should we reallocate time?

Thanks much!
Old May 1, 2015, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by ClipperJCM
Folks--

Another variation on the OP's question for the experts here: We're planning a nine-night Vietnam trip over the coming new year (flying into Da Nang in late December, out of Saigon in early January). We've been to Saigon, Hanoi and Halong Bay once before--and obviously very much enjoyed the trip--but this time we want to see some different things and maybe spend some easy-going beach time in and around the new year.

Right now, I'm thinking of spending four nights in Hoi An (with day trips to Hue and Da Nang), four nights in Nha Trang and then a single SGN night before our departure (enough to take a couple of food tours, do some shopping and return to the airport). Is this a reasonable plan, or should we reallocate time?

Thanks much!
Hue for a day trip is too hectic - travel time is too long. You should stay a night there at least.
Old May 3, 2015, 2:00 am

Skip Nga Trang unless you like overpriced drinks, so-so beaches and arrogant Russian tourists. Spend more time in Hoi An, allow longer for Hue (day trip is too rushed). Train from Danang to Hue is well worth it for the views.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Hi all

I will be in Vietnam for the first time in October, initially visiting my brother who is going to be based in Hanoi, then I have some travel time (5 days) before I need to be back in Bangkok for the flight back to Europe (the EU - Asia flights are already booked).

I have narrowed it down to two potential options:
  • Hanoi to Saigon, spend a night there and then fly next day to Phu Quoc for 3 nights, before travelling to Bangkok via Saigon.
  • Hanoi to Siem Reap (Cambodia), spend three or four nights there, then onwards to Bangkok.

I realise October is not the ideal time to visit central and southern Vietnam and that it will still be wet, so I am looking for views on which of those is likely to be the more sensible option.

I don’t expect to see everything and am happy to just focus on one or two things in each place we visit, saving other things for a future trip (I travel once or twice a year to Singapore with work).

Any views on the options above, or alternate suggestions? I don’t feel I have enough time to do things like Ha Long Bay or Hoi An etc properly, given the overland travelling time and my limited time in the country.

Last edited by daftboy; Aug 10, 2015 at 8:29 am
Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by daftboy
Hi all

I will be in Vietnam for the first time in October, initially visiting my brother who is going to be based in Hanoi, then I have some travel time (5 days) before I need to be back in Bangkok for the flight back to Europe (the EU - Asia flights are already booked).

I have narrowed it down to two potential options:
  • Hanoi to Saigon, spend a night there and then fly next day to Phu Quoc for 3 nights, before travelling to Bangkok via Saigon.
  • Hanoi to Siem Reap (Cambodia), spend three or four nights there, then onwards to Bangkok.

I realise October is not the ideal time to visit central and southern Vietnam and that it will still be wet, so I am looking for views on which of those is likely to be the more sensible option.

I don’t expect to see everything and am happy to just focus on one or two things in each place we visit, saving other things for a future trip (I travel once or twice a year to Singapore with work).

Any views on the options above, or alternate suggestions? I don’t feel I have enough time to do things like Ha Long Bay or Hoi An etc properly, given the overland travelling time and my limited time in the country.
If you're just overnighting in HCMC, I would fly direct from Hanoi to Phu Quoc.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 3:11 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by 5khours
If you're just overnighting in HCMC, I would fly direct from Hanoi to Phu Quoc.
Thanks 5khours - I realised after I posted this that there is a direct flight from HAN to PQC. The inconvenience of a 7am flight is probably outweighed by not needing to connect in SGN!
Old Sep 22, 2015, 8:47 am

I say you should stick with just Hanoi and its outskirts since you only have 3 days. Keep in mind that the Northern vibe is quite a bit different than the South, so for your next visit, try the southern provinces.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 4:35 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Gonna go to Hanoi this time, because it'll be dry in the north when I go. Next time I'll visit Hoi Ann!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.