Search

Tokyo vs Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2014, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: skyawards| miles and more|A3
Tokyo vs Hong Kong vs Singapore

Hello!
I just received an promotion for a ticket with Emirates from Athens to Tokyo or Hong Kong or Singapore.
So my question is where is better for a week to visit in april? am looking for sightseen mostly and fun.
Any advice and tip will be great.
Thank you.

Last edited by manos2011; Aug 7, 2014 at 11:56 am
Old Aug 7, 2014, 12:02 pm

you'd fare better in Tokyo if sightseeing is your priority, especially if you've never been there before
Old Aug 7, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by manos2011
Hello!
I just received an promotion for a ticket with Emirates from Athens to Tokyo or Hong Kong or Singapore.
So my question is where is better for a week to visit in april? am looking for sightseen mostly and fun.
I think a week in HK is a little on the long side and your options for a side trip are a bit more limited. However, with Tokyo, you can make it work with some additional day trips (Kamakura, Nikko, Hakone, etc.) or just go to another part of the country.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:47 pm

Might want to look at hotel costs first. All 3 destinations have pretty expensive hotel rates
Old Aug 8, 2014, 2:07 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by manos2011
Hello!
Any advice and tip will be great.
Thank you.
A week is a long time in HK, and way too long to stay only in Singapore. At least Hong Kong has some hiking "trails" too; Singapore is mostly flat.

As for Tokyo, April is a great month to visit in terms of weather, and there are plenty of excellent day trips to take as well.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I'm biased, but I'd say Tokyo no question.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Tokyo definitely. If up for adventure you can take the train (or rent a car) and visit the surrounding areas of Tokyo (or even other cities). For hotels, there are plenty of cheap hotels. Mostly the issue is most Japanese people don't speak English.

Spending a week in Hong Kong gets old, really fast.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 3:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Tokyo. (If Beijing was an option, it would be my pick, but Tokyo v. HK is an easy choice.)
Old Aug 10, 2014, 2:53 pm

If you like to go for the beach, then Singapore (with short trips to Indonesia or Malaysia being in easy reach) would be the best choice.

HK could allow you a side-trip to Macao (or to China, but that would require a Visa)

While all 3 destinations are expensive hotel-wise, you'll be having the cheapest food in HK, followed by Singapore. Tokyo is rather expensive, starting from the transit from the airport to the city, over Taxis etc. - while Singapore and HK are much cheaper in that regard.

I personally prefer the trully friendly people in Singapore slighty over those in HK and especially those in Tokyo, so my bet would be on Singapore with a 3 to 4 -day-trip to the beach in either Malaysia or Indonesia (really cheap, also cutting your costs for hotel down massively)
Old Aug 10, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA, WN, Hyatt, Club Carlson, HHonors, MRewards, CET, M Life
Another vote for Tokyo.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 4:46 pm
Suspended

I'd go to Tokyo if I were you.. Lots of cool places for sightseeing there..
Old Aug 10, 2014, 6:00 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
While all 3 destinations are expensive hotel-wise, you'll be having the cheapest food in HK, followed by Singapore. Tokyo is rather expensive, starting from the transit from the airport to the city, over Taxis etc. - while Singapore and HK are much cheaper in that regard.

I personally prefer the trully friendly people in Singapore slighty over those in HK and especially those in Tokyo, so my bet would be on Singapore with a 3 to 4 -day-trip to the beach in either Malaysia or Indonesia (really cheap, also cutting your costs for hotel down massively)
Sure, it depends on which part of Tokyo, but even then, a ticket to a transportation hub can be as low as ~¥490 from HND or ¥900-1000 from NRT.

Also, the cost of food is relative. If you like local food, you can find good deals all over the place. For instance, whenever I've been in Hong Kong I try to avoid eating the local cuisine. So, it's slightly more expensive. But in Tokyo (and Singapore, depending on where), pretty much anything is palatable.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:07 pm

Another vote for Tokyo.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 2:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm happy to spend a whole week in Singapore, Hong Kong, or the Tokyo area. SIN is the easiest with the most convenient (and close with cheap taxis) airport. If you want warm weather, take Singapore as Hong Kong can be risky--it has cold periods--and Tokyo can be chilly or even downright cold and snowy.

Check hotel availability and prices before booking. Tokyo can be full for holiday periods as well as cherry blossom time.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: skyawards| miles and more|A3
I have t thanks everyone for your replies as the majority said i will choose Tokyo. Thanks again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.