Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3 extra days in Asia- where to go?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2014, 10:18 am
Original Poster

3 extra days in Asia- where to go?

I am planning a trip to Bhutan and have 3 extra nights in the itinerary. Depending how we route our flights we will be coming in/out of either Bangkok or Delhi. I've spent a lot of time in Thailand, and even though 3 nights isn't a long time, I want to use it to see somewhere new. I have narrowed it down to Jaipur, Yangon or Luang Prabang. Which would you choose and why?
Old Jun 26, 2014, 1:04 pm

Yangon is a lot of fun. I think if you go pretty fast, you can see all you need to see in the city in 1.5 days, so you can use the rest of the time to visit Bagan.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 9:08 pm

Visas could come into play. You'll need a Indian visa in advance, possibly Myanmar, but Laos you can buy on arrival, it will also be the cheapest of the 3.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

We are planning quite far in advance, so we would have plenty of time to get necessary visas. I really want to go to Jaipur but that seems to be the least practical choice with scheduling our flights. It might be better to save it for a full India trip.
The other options make more sense. We would fly in and our of Bangkok , spend 7-8 days in Bhutan , a few days in Bangkok and in Chiang Rai ( anantara Golden Triangle.) and then choose between Yangon or Luang Prabang . We are interested in great food, culture ( temples, museums, ) and I would love to do a little shopping for textiles and decorative objects. Our treks in Bhutan will be farly athletic-this portion of the trip can be more relaxing.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: most of them
Three days doesn't seem like enough time to do Myanmar justice to me. And Yangon is just the very tip of the Myanmar iceberg.

I like LP a lot. 3 days is enough time to get a good feel for the place and see most of the surrounding big sights. The town is very small and walkable.

Have not been to India so can't really comment on that one.

Enjoy Bhutan, it's a very interesting place. I didn't fall in love with it like so many people claim to, but it definitely has its charms. I never got used to the altitude though in my nearly 3 weeks there. And I spent lots of time in the car since we went all the way across to the east end of the country and then back west again.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I assume you are not considering Siem Reap because you have already been there?
Old Jun 28, 2014, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Yes, I've been to Siem Reap and loved it there. for this trip, I would prefer to spend the extra time somewhere new, plus i will be in northern Thailand near Burma and Laos anyway. We got married at the Anantara Golden Triangle, and are stopping in for few days to celebrate an anniversary.

I hope we don't have problems with the altitude in Bhutan. We live below sea level so there will be some adjustment fir sure! We re planning on doing some hiking and trekking, but also having plenty of down time.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by nyold
Yangon is a lot of fun. I think if you go pretty fast, you can see all you need to see in the city in 1.5 days, so you can use the rest of the time to visit Bagan.
++++ ! One can get to YGN pretty cheap on Air Asia and Bagan or Inle Lake are both good options as well. Hotels in Yangon are expensive these days though. A 1/2 day (actually better at night) at Schwegadon is a must. You can get an E-visa online too.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 10:12 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by cakegirl
We are planning quite far in advance, so we would have plenty of time to get necessary visas. I really want to go to Jaipur but that seems to be the least practical choice with scheduling our flights. It might be better to save it for a full India trip.
The other options make more sense. We would fly in and our of Bangkok , spend 7-8 days in Bhutan , a few days in Bangkok and in Chiang Rai ( anantara Golden Triangle.) and then choose between Yangon or Luang Prabang . We are interested in great food, culture ( temples, museums, ) and I would love to do a little shopping for textiles and decorative objects. Our treks in Bhutan will be farly athletic-this portion of the trip can be more relaxing.
I highly recommend Delhi...so much history, culture and foods galore. Look up UTUBE Delhi street foods just for fun.....You spend two nights in Delhi and one in Agra ( Taj Mahal). Dehi has monuments , structures centuries old. For temples see BAPS Akshardham temple in Delhi. Storied ancient mosques too.....forts in both towns.

For an India exclusive trip, you can do the northern state of Rajastah ( Jaipur is one of its cities) then go down to Southern States like Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 11:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: CX Diamond, TK Gold, CI Gold, LH Gold.
Take a spare bag of Imodium aswell if you go anywhere near Dirty Delhi
Old Jun 30, 2014, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by cathaygirlcx
Take a spare bag of Imodium aswell if you go anywhere near Dirty Delhi
Would that not hold true for most of the world ?

I say it is very misleading to call the Capital of India Dirty. There are street vendors and hotel that surpass most US hotels standards.

Would you care to tell us how you came by that label ?
Old Jul 1, 2014, 6:01 am
Suspended

Programs: CX Diamond, TK Gold, CI Gold, LH Gold.
Originally Posted by HMPS
Would that not hold true for most of the world ?

I say it is very misleading to call the Capital of India Dirty. There are street vendors and hotel that surpass most US hotels standards.

Would you care to tell us how you came by that label ?
Having been there on more than 50 trips in the last ten years I think its fair to say I got this information by experience I dread to think of the standard of places you frequent if you think Dehli is above US hotel standards.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Well, to my disappointment, we have realized that a stop in India isn't feasible with our flight and will plan a dedicated Rajasthan trip in the future.
We are just deciding between Burma and Laos, both countries I have wanted to visit for awhile.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by cathaygirlcx
Having been there on more than 50 trips in the last ten years I think its fair to say I got this information by experience I dread to think of the standard of places you frequent if you think Dehli is above US hotel standards.
Try some of the Taj, Oberois etc.

Street foods alone don't make a place "dirty". If you have been there 50 + times you should have figured out by second or third trip that the said hotels and more are 7 starts (some). More important, if you want to partake in street foods like the locals, stick to that wich is coming right off the stove like Batata Vada, Disa, Paratha etc.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by cakegirl
I am planning a trip to Bhutan and have 3 extra nights in the itinerary. Depending how we route our flights we will be coming in/out of either Bangkok or Delhi. I've spent a lot of time in Thailand, and even though 3 nights isn't a long time, I want to use it to see somewhere new. I have narrowed it down to Jaipur, Yangon or Luang Prabang. Which would you choose and why?
Go to Siam Reap and enjoy Angkor Wat! Stay at the Raffles if you can. You can check my blog post on Luang Prabang for Laos. Very nice town with lots of culture. Avoid Vientiane - nothing to do/see there. If in Laos, try water buffalo and larp salad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.