Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Best times of year and places to visit: northern and mid-Vietnam?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best times of year and places to visit: northern and mid-Vietnam?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2014, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Best times of year and places to visit: northern and mid-Vietnam?

I've just begun my research my perusing some very useful posts here, and am now looking to build on that a bit. Basically, my wife and I are hoping to visit Vietnam about a year from now for about 18 days or so. I understand that, at most, we should just look to see parts of half of the country. The initial places we have in mind are Hanoi, Hue, Phu Loc (specifically, the Vedana Lagoon Resort there), Halong Bay and Da Nang (or Hoi An).

For what it's worth, we are in our late 50's and have traveled a lot in SE Asia and elsewhere (including lots of professional travel for me). We generally prefer exploring smaller and/or walkable cities, spending some time at a beach or otherwise relaxing on vacation, contact with the folks in the areas we're visiting, not racing around too much, and quieter times rather than lots of night life (though I realize some noise, pollution and congestion is unavoidable in parts of Vietnam). I'd very much appreciate any input on any of the following. Thanks!

1. I realize that there is no ideal time to go, weather-wise. We usually like to take a winter vacation in February. But if I'm reading the weather/climate sites correctly, it sounds like late March into April is better...particularly since January-February could be relatively cold and gray up north and March looks like the rainiest month in the first half of the year for places like Hanoi, Phu Loc and Danang. Are my assumptions about the weather, and late March-April being the best time to visit, correct?
2. Any preference between Da Nang and Hoi An?
3. As for the other places I've mentioned, any recommendations on which to prioritize or any alternatives? For an 18-day trip, I'd think the most places we'd want to visit would be four or at most five destinations.

Thanks for bearing with these very general questions, and for any advice.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 8:43 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
I am planning something similar for December but am going to include a visit to Angkor Wat in Cambodia.

Be interested in others suggestions
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I've just begun my research my perusing some very useful posts here, and am now looking to build on that a bit. Basically, my wife and I are hoping to visit Vietnam about a year from now for about 18 days or so. I understand that, at most, we should just look to see parts of half of the country. The initial places we have in mind are Hanoi, Hue, Phu Loc (specifically, the Vedana Lagoon Resort there), Halong Bay and Da Nang (or Hoi An).

For what it's worth, we are in our late 50's and have traveled a lot in SE Asia and elsewhere (including lots of professional travel for me). We generally prefer exploring smaller and/or walkable cities, spending some time at a beach or otherwise relaxing on vacation, contact with the folks in the areas we're visiting, not racing around too much, and quieter times rather than lots of night life (though I realize some noise, pollution and congestion is unavoidable in parts of Vietnam). I'd very much appreciate any input on any of the following. Thanks!

1. I realize that there is no ideal time to go, weather-wise. We usually like to take a winter vacation in February. But if I'm reading the weather/climate sites correctly, it sounds like late March into April is better...particularly since January-February could be relatively cold and gray up north and March looks like the rainiest month in the first half of the year for places like Hanoi, Phu Loc and Danang. Are my assumptions about the weather, and late March-April being the best time to visit, correct?
2. Any preference between Da Nang and Hoi An?
3. As for the other places I've mentioned, any recommendations on which to prioritize or any alternatives? For an 18-day trip, I'd think the most places we'd want to visit would be four or at most five destinations.

Thanks for bearing with these very general questions, and for any advice.
Having to all the places you mentioned, with the exception of Veranda Resort, here's my take:

1. If you must travel at that time of the year, start early up north and venture down south. Summer heat in Hanoi is notoriously harsh due to the increased humidity. That being said, it's not unbearable if you use some common sense such as proper rest, wear appropriate clothing and of course, lots of H20. Halong Bay will be cooler so save that boatride for hot, clear days. Hue is smaller and most enjoyable with your feet but also less AC-equipped rest stops so keep that in mind and don't over-exert yourself

2. Da Nang is currently the best governed city in Vietnam in terms of safety, accessibility and improved conditions for tourists as well as local so don't miss it. Hoi An is small & quaint; only an hour taxi ride from Da Nang so I don't see why you can't enjoy both.

3. Since you don't mention any of the more popular places further south such as Nha Trang or HCMC, I'd assume you have no interests in those. Then, I'd recommend Quang Binh with its newly discovered caves and Ninh Binh with beautiful natural landscape. If time allows, make a trip to Mai Chau and Sapa.

Bon voyage.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 3:55 am

The best time to visit Vietnam if you want to see the whole country is Spring and Autumn. The temperatures are more moderate and rainfall is lighter. In spring, March and April have the lowest rainfall across all destinations and temperatures are pleasant (though still cool in the far north).

Any time between November and April is a popular and busy time to travel to Vietnam, so bookings should be made well in advance.

Tet is the Vietnamese New Year celebration and falls in late January or early February. During this time, most Vietnamese take their holidays, so transport and accommodation options are often full and prices rise.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks very much for this useful information and advice, folks. I appreciate it.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
I'd also recommend hue. There is lots of history, emperor tombs, the citadel, the perfume river as well as more recent wars. We wish we had spent more time there.

I'll preface this with we are not resort people but our least favorite city was Hoi An. The hotel was nice enough. We didn't find it quaint at all, very touristy and the parts th at were vehicle free were not motorcycle free so you were constantly dodging bikes and it was noisy. The shops all sold the same thing and we saw far too many foreigners vs locals. By contrast we did a one night cruise on along bay and wish we had done 2. It was well run with activities and stops on little islands and caves in the bay and relaxing. It's a few hours drive from HaNoi just to get there. HaNOi is easy to explore on your own.

We went in early June and weather was fine
Old Mar 29, 2014, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by dungvivutravel
Tet is the Vietnamese New Year celebration and falls in late January or early February. During this time, most Vietnamese take their holidays, so transport and accommodation options are often full and prices rise.
^^^
Book in advance as many companies also plan their year end excursions, Tet office parties - depending on the Lunar Calendar. For 2015, new year is Feb 19th.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 7:41 pm

Programs: most of them
I spent about 9 or 10 days in north and central Vietnam a few years ago, so your 18 days I think will be plenty leisurely.

You may want to look into Sapa as well. I did not go there myself.

But I did Hanoi, Halong Bay, a couple of day trips from Hanoi, then Hue and Hoi An. I liked Hue (even though I was sick one of the days there). Hoi An was worth a wander around. There are some beach resorts that are pretty nice in that area. I happened to be there in November so I had one OK day and one rainy day.

I liked the Cham history museum in Da Nang.

I liked La Residence Hue when I stayed there. I think it was the nicest hotel in town. Some cool art deco touches if you are into that. The citadel is interesting and the emporers' tombs are fascinating.

I really enjoyed my day trip to Perfume Pagoda when I was in Hanoi. You take a row boat up this shallow river and then get to this little area where they have a bunch of places to eat. You can either climb up the mountain or take the cable car. My guide said he hated taking people there because he didn't like the people there. But it was one of the places I liked best on my trip.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Second on both the cham museum in Da Nang and laundry residence in Hue. The drive between danang and hue through the mountains was also nice.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:28 am

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
I just came back on March 27th from 18 days in Hanoi, Quy Nhon and Saigon. March is always good, but this year Hanoi had quite a bit of light drizzle and rain in March, but the central coast (Quy Nhon was quite beautiful and mild) was a different story. Saigon is always blazing hot. April is the beginning of the real hot weather everywhere in Vietnam. Another good period for the area is late Nov-Dec - the extreme weather is usually over by then on the central coast.

There is no question but Hoi An is the better option on the central coast, in my opinion, but it is touristy. Since I've been to Hoi An several times, I decided to try Quy Nhon for this trip, and was pleasantly surprised. Basically, very few tourists in sight, a very clean and orderly little city with great and inexpensive seafood. Quy Nhon doesn't have the attractions that Hoi An has, and there is little shopping that would interest westerners, but I loved it for a few days. You should know that once you get off the tourist trail (Quy Nhon is well off this trail) English comprehension is unknown, but you will do well there without English - just don't expect perfection.

I avoid Jan-Feb in Vietnam due to higher prices and the problems of TET - in the north, it will also be pretty cool and rainy at that time.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the very useful information, folks. For a variety of reasons, we're now looking more toward the south, concentrating from Hue down to Phu Quoc, starting post-Tet around March 1. My apologies for asking for guidance on the north, but much of what you've posted nevertheless is proving very useful. When our plans are clearer, I may well post another thread re what our new possibilities are. In the meantime, thanks again!
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Thanks for the input i appreciate it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.