Wiki Posts
Search

Mongolia tips and advice including tour recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2014, 3:39 am
Original Poster

Question Mongolia tips and advice including tour recommendations

Hello all,

I am planning to book a trip and tour of Mongolia for my o/h's 40th. Having done a bit of research, it seems like the way to go is with a small groups tour operator as it doesn't seem to be like a place where you could really plan and go on your own, which is our usual preferred method of travelling. I have some questions I was hoping you would be able to help me with:

1. We would be flying from LON. A search on Kayak seem to indicate that there are no direct flights from LON. We have limited time on either side so the Trans-Siberian is not really an option. How have others got there? LON-PEK-ULN?

2. I would love to go with Nomadic Expeditions who own the Three Camels Lodge, but unfortunately their tours are outside of my budget (about USD$6000/£4k, which is much more expensive than the other tours although I'm sure probably worth it). My budget is about £1-£1.8k pp. My research has thrown up Gadventures, Eternal Landscapes and Selena's Travels with itineraries around 14-15 days. Has anyone been on any of these tours and could recommend them and give some feedback? Alternatively, do you have any other tour recommendations?

Thanks!
Old Jan 14, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Check out this old thread where you may find some good pointers there:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/...-recently.html
Old Jan 16, 2014, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by lin821
Check out this old thread where you may find some good pointers there:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/...-recently.html
Are you serious, that thread is 4 years old!

I am planning to go to Mongolia solo, and I am doing it independently, although for me I am just staying in UB.

I am going to book just 3 nights at the Kempinski, and utilising their shuttle service/limousine service, I am seeing the following sights during my stay:

Sukhbaatar Square
Terelj National Park
Genghis Khan Statue Complex
Bogd Khan Palace
Gandantegchenling Monastery

I think most of the [very] cold weather should be gone by the end of March, although clearly it will still require coats.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by A380 Flyer
Are you serious, that thread is 4 years old!

I am planning to go to Mongolia solo, and I am doing it independently, although for me I am just staying in UB.

I am going to book just 3 nights at the Kempinski, and utilising their shuttle service/limousine service, I am seeing the following sights during my stay:

Sukhbaatar Square
Terelj National Park
Genghis Khan Statue Complex
Bogd Khan Palace
Gandantegchenling Monastery

I think most of the [very] cold weather should be gone by the end of March, although clearly it will still require coats.
Thanks for the suggestions. I usually prefer to travel independently too, although would definitely like to spend some time in the Gobi Desert and seeing the vast countryside so think I need a tour with a driver for that!
Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
A small group tour is the way to go. Independent travel there can become very difficult.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 2:44 am

Programs: AA Gold
MN Tours and Flights to ULN

A380,

If you are willing to pay for the Kempinksi, I would say check out the Tuushin - Best Western Premiere. Nicer and more centrally located for such a short trip. The website always has high rates. Call them directly in the US, ask for the lowest rate or package possible. Been able to get the travel agency/tour operator rate which is significantly lower even as a regular person. Was told that if it shows in their system they can book it for whomever.

Also, 3 days even in the end of March will still feel like winter to most people. You won't want to be outside for too long. The monastery is nice in the warmer weather but chances are it won't be yet.

=====
laura711,

You might check flights via IST. Turkish (TK) flies IST to ULN via Bishtek. Also, Hunnu Air (MR) announced recently that they will fly CDG-ULN starting June 9. Originally thought to be non-stop, this flight on an A319 will have a technical stop in Russia. Not sure where. Once they start using A380 aircraft it will be non-stop. I have not seen fares yet available through their website.

Here are the timetables:
http://www.hunnuair.com/en/timetables

For tour company, you might try Goyo Travel <www.goyotravel.com>. They are small. Not as well known, cheaper but in many ways better because they are small. Full disclosure, they are my landlord but I don't receive any referral benefit. Tell them, their tenant from Building 8 sent you.

Cheers.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:59 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Just a tip... to see anything outside of ULN, you would need a local driver who knows the area. And driving to get to anywhere takes a ridiculous amount of time. Most of your time in Mongolia would probably be spent traveling if you want to see the national parks, stay in yurts, or ride horses/camels around some meadow/desert.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.